X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad-1stGen
    replied
    I've lurked on and off here for a while and since I started posting recently, I'm here to introduce myself. I did my first ever track driving back in 2001 at Sear's Point aka Sonoma Raceway and then did nothing until 2009. It was in 2009 driving my mild pro touring Camaro (first time using my own car) that I really got bit by the bug! Since then I've regularly tracked my car except for downtime to install upgrades.

I've listed all the modifications to my 1968 pro touring Camaro nicknamed Red Apex on my blog.

As you might be able to tell from that pic, I've been competing in the Optima Ultimate Streetcar series and even got the invite to the year end invitational after SEMA this past year. I've dabbled in NASA time trials too.

I've run my 68 Camaro on the following tracks so far:
    • Streets of Willow Springs
    • Willow Springs
    • Buttonwillow
    • Auto Club Speedway (ACS) infield
    • ACS Roval
    • Las Vegas Motor Speedway outside road course
    • Laguna Seca
    • Thunderhill
    • Circuit of the Americas

I've also really caught the autocross bug in the last 18 months so I've been spending a bit more time autocrossing than hitting the road courses but I still like to do both.

Finally, I've launched a blog focused on grassroots autocross and track cars, events, and drivers. Future plans include driving in a Lemons race and a Chumpcar race and possibly trying a VARA race with my Camaro.

In closing here is a video of my best run from each driving segment at the 2016 OUSCI at LVMS (the road course is the last item shown). If you want to skip the autocross and speed stop go to 1:39.
    Last edited by Chad-1stGen; 04-27-2017, 06:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fatbillybob
    replied
    Welcome howard! Can you tell me how to take that uphil left turn after china beach at Mid-O? It is offcamber and I can't find a comfortable line there. All I can do there is coast over the hill. It takes forever on the downhill before I can be fully on gas before the next right. Been there only once in mixed conditions. I will be there in a few days again.

Leave a comment:

• Olitho
    replied
    Dan:

Cool. Welcome to 949.

Leave a comment:

• doward
    replied
    Originally posted by scarsofcarma View Post
    Welcome Dan, nice Miata builds! Will you bring it to Mazda's @ Laguna Seca next month?
    Car probably won't make it, but I'll be there driving in vendor groups for 949.

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
    Welcome Dan. Points build 99/00 is the way to go. Good luck!
    Thanks! I'll need the luck. Showing up with only a brief peak at the track and a 50% new car.

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    Welcome Dan. Points build 99/00 is the way to go. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• scarsofcarma
    replied
    Welcome Dan, nice Miata builds! Will you bring it to Mazda's @ Laguna Seca next month?

Leave a comment:

• doward
    replied
    5 year lurker saying Hi.

Name: Dan
    Home: Columbus, OH turned Aliso Viejo, CA
    Car: Miatae
    Experience: Advanced
    Favorite tracks: Mid Ohio Sports Car Course

My name is Dan Howard. I started reading TrackHQ back when I started "getting fast" at HPDEs, mostly for the tech info and driving advice found here.
    I've since gone through NASA's entire ladder and earned my Comp license last year. I cleared my Provisional last month and will going to NASA WCC next month.

I am from Ohio, born and raised. My wife and I relocated to SoCal two weeks ago so that I could accept a Sales Manager role with 949 Racing.

With that said, you can safely assume my driving background is nearly 100% Miata based. I've done a ton of instructing with NASA, SCCA, AutoInterests and others, so I've weaseled my way into driving all kinds of fun stuff. My right-seat highlight is a 997 Porsche Cup.

My cars:
    TTD NA8 w/bp4w swap and bolt-ons/ECU. The one that got me hooked. Daily driver in high school, college, then made a turn towards racecar. Great triple threat CSP/TTE-D/Weekend car. Parted out to build the PT car below.

"21 Flavors" VVT swap, CoT wing, DiY splitter, Spec Miata suspension, 15x10 6UL w/245/4015 Maxxis RC1. HPDE Champion. Stayed in Ohio with a buddy.

"Button" Super budget dyno-reclass NASA PTE build got me 3 track records in the Great Lakes region. It's getting converted to a "points build" for a shot at NASA WCC 2016. Potential SuperMiata for 2017+.

Leave a comment:

• fiftyunofifty
    replied
    Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
    Welcome to THQ Morgan!
    Take care of the WRX. They are good learning cars for novice level drivers but start to get expensive and frustrating when you get to intermediate level and just don't work for advanced drivers without re-engineering half the drive train.
    Thanks!

Yeah, its good for now to learn and have as a DD. When the time comes, I'll be getting some else like Miata or S2K for a dedicated track car.

Leave a comment:

• emilio700
    replied
    Welcome to THQ Morgan!
    Take care of the WRX. They are good learning cars for novice level drivers but start to get expensive and frustrating when you get to intermediate level and just don't work for advanced drivers without re-engineering half the drive train.

Leave a comment:

• fiftyunofifty
    replied
    Name: Morgan 'Morgs'
    Home: Glendale
    Car: 15 WRX
    Experience: Newbie
    Occupation: Engineering, Product and Project Management (little bit of everything)
    Favorite tracks: ButtonWillow

Like most here to learn and meet other fellow enthusiasts. Always loved cars and anything that goes fast. Cars, Dirt Bikes and Street Bikes. Don't have much experience out on road tracks, only have 3 events under my belt at Buttonwillow. Each time craving away a second or two and getting a new PB each time. With my current time at 2:08:294.

Hope to rack up some more seat in the coming months and, then work my way into to TT events.

Leave a comment:

• Force McCocken
    replied
    Nice to see some rallyx pictures. Welcome!

Leave a comment:

• mdotmurphy
    replied
    It's a mk1 mr2 chassis with widened body panels from a '67 Simca taking turn one at Sebring. I had the pleasure of driving this through the town of Sebring after we lost a wheel on our trailer an hour north of the track.

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied
    I can't tell. What is this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	sebring.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	232347

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    ^^Awesome pics, welcome!

Leave a comment:

• mdotmurphy
    replied
    Howdy!

It looks like I'm late to the party, but it's great to find some like minded track enthusiasts. I heard about this forum on The Smoking Tire or The Slip Angle podcast, both are cool shows.

I've been involved in motorsports for about 9 years now. My current situation is a PTEish '99 Miata TT car that started life as my STR autocross car. I hope to have this in race trim for early 2017. She's been under the knife, and I've been doing all the work, so it's been a slow build. I was able to do the NASA event at MSR Cresson earlier this year and a few autocrosses, just for shake down.

I'm also part owner of an e36 crap can that gets a lot of track time. I've been driving in the 24 hours of lemons for about 5 years with the TARP racing team.

Other than that, I love any chance to get behind the wheel. I started off in a 03 Civic Si in H-Stock trim. Restored a Formula V that never saw the track, because divorce. Did the SCCA drivers school at MAM in a spec miata and won the 3 hours enduro that weekend. Lots of indoor karts, some outdoor. I just recently drove the Property Devaluation 302 powered '79 RX-7 in the BFE GP at High Plains Raceway. I've also got a decent iRacing rig, but I'm having trouble finding time and settling into a series.

Shout out to TARP Racing, 949 for selling me some sweet parts, and the Team Clear Coat podcast.

Here are a few pics of the situation:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cookie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	232342Click image for larger version

Name:	cresson.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	232343Click image for larger version

Name:	rally.jpg