X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrackRat
    replied
    Name: Tom
    Experience: None at the moment, I am just starting to really get into the whole track racing thing
    Car: 1998 Mustang, looking for an early 90's Miata or something else that is relatively cheap to start racing

Leave a comment:

• beermanpete
    replied
    Originally posted by scarsofcarma View Post
    Welcome peter! I have much love for Z cars too... this was mine a long time ago... should have never sold it. What sort of modifications have you made to yours?
    Our Z (I share the Z with my brother) is mostly stock in the drive train with simple race prep work to the chassis.

L28 engine (stock from 280Z) with SU carbs and OE ex. manifold
    '83 5-speed (so-called) close ratio transmission
    STi LSD, 3.54:1 final drive
    All the interior is gone except the instrument panel/dash
    Racing seats and 5 point harnesses
    Autopower 4-point roll bar
    All polyurethane suspension bushings
    Tokiko lowering springs
    Tokiko HP (Blue) struts
    Rear anti-roll bar (OE from 260Z)
    Rear disk brakes
    15" x 7" wheels (or 14" x 6", depending on mood)
    Rear BRE style spoiler
    Battery relocated to rear compartment (over the rear axle)
    Fully rewired
    Electric cooling fan
    Motorcycle alternator

Funny, I think of our car as rather stock but it is lot of mods when I write it all out like this. I guess it does not seems like a lot to me since it has accrued over several years, a little at at time.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• scarsofcarma
    replied
    Originally posted by beermanpete View Post
    Hi All,

I am from SoCal and have been time trialing at the local tracks for about 5 years or so now. Willowsprings mostly with a few events at Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla. I drive a 240Z, mostly stock.

Nice to meet you all.

Regards,

Peter
    Welcome peter! I have much love for Z cars too... this was mine a long time ago... should have never sold it. What sort of modifications have you made to yours?

Originally posted by Schmoe Money View Post
    A guy I know has a 240z and a Miata.
    The Z has some sort of 4-cylinder turbo Nissan engine under the hood and has many dollars in suspension/interior/etc. in it.

The strange thing is... he believes the Miata handles better.

For the life of me I can't believe that... but he swears it's true.
    I believe it... no offense to Z cars of course. In the purely tangible/technical sense of performance a Miata has serious design advantages. In the purely emotional sense of performance however that's irellevent. Z cars are a lot of fun to drive, and probably require more skill to drive well in the first place.

As my first sports car, my Z taught me the basics of coping with understeer, oversteer, spins, brake fade, etc.. eventually I felt like I had to swap to something more modern (and faster) to get better as a driver because I didn't have the money to improve the Z as much as I wanted.

In hindsight I probably should've kept it. I'm sure by this point I would've built quite a car out of it... but I wasn't really so eager to chop up a genuine collectible... so it got sold to a Z collector out in Georgia who I presume still has it? Hmm... make me wonder if I can ever find out what happened to it? I should try and find out...

Leave a comment:

• Schmoe Money
    replied
    A guy I know has a 240z and a Miata.
    The Z has some sort of 4-cylinder turbo Nissan engine under the hood and has many dollars in suspension/interior/etc. in it.

The strange thing is... he believes the Miata handles better.

For the life of me I can't believe that... but he swears it's true.

Leave a comment:

• Rush
    replied
    That's a beauty. Thanks for sharing! Love the z's

Leave a comment:

• Schmoe Money
    replied
    Mmmmmmm. Z car!
    Where they belong... on the track!

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied
    Welcome, guys.

Leave a comment:

• beermanpete
    replied
    Originally posted by Rush View Post
    Welcome Pete. Do you have a pic of the 240sx? Thinking of picking up a nissan as well.
    Rush,

Thanks. Here is a picture taken at Buttonwillow a few weeks ago.

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	Open Sunrise.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	229539

Leave a comment:

• Rush
    replied
    Originally posted by beermanpete View Post
    Hi All,

I am from SoCal and have been time trialing at the local tracks for about 5 years or so now. Willowsprings mostly with a few events at Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla. I drive a 240Z, mostly stock.

Nice to meet you all.

Regards,

Peter

Welcome Pete. Do you have a pic of the 240z? Thinking of picking up a nissan as well.
    Last edited by Rush; 10-21-2014, 11:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• beermanpete
    replied
    Hi All,

Nice to meet you all.

Regards,

Peter

Leave a comment:

• beermanpete
    replied
    Hi All,

Nice to meet you all.

Regards,

Peter

Leave a comment:

• Rush
    replied
    Thanks they are great cars but now ready for something well balanced and rear wheel drive. thinking 350/370z or s2k

Leave a comment:

• scarsofcarma
    replied
    Welcome! I've had a couple VW's myself so I have love for em

Leave a comment:

• Rush
    replied
    Just introducing myself. Ive been lurking the TrackHQ community for a while. New to Southern California. Minimal Seat Time. Looking forward to connecting with the great community. I used to have a street car but recently sold it because the motor went bad. I will be picking up another car for a daily driver and weekend track toy. Thanks for the welcome.

Here is my old car at WSIR for my first track day with Fastivus. (lost my transmission that day )
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	229537Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	229538

Leave a comment:

• ouchmonkey
    replied