Collapse

Cool shirt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connectors available at mcmaster Carr. Question to enduro drivers, how many lbs of ice are needed per hour?

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
      Connectors available at mcmaster Carr. Question to enduro drivers, how many lbs of ice are needed per hour?
      At the 24 Hours of LeMons at Thunderhill last August (think HOT!), we added ice everytime we came in for fuel, or fuel and driver change. You really need to have a crew member dedicated to servicing the cool shirt system. Have plenty of ice.
      The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
      1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
      2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

For enduros, you'd need to put some thought into *emptying* the thing - it takes a long time with a paper cup!

I've heard some people say they just drop a new block of ice in there and let the water sploosh out everywhere. Drooling several gallons of water all over the hotpits might not be a popular move.

Comment

At LeMons, you have to refuel and change drivers in the cold pits. So we did the sploosh thing.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
          2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
          2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

If you're doing a lot of enduros, just get a second box and swap the entire thing out during pit stops when the ice melts.

Also, if the drivers aren't continually overheated, they can make the ice last much longer by turning the pump on for just a few seconds when they're hot to get the cool water circulating.

-mike
            twitter: updates from the track.
            youtube: in-car videos.

Comment

Originally posted by fleadh View Post
              If you're doing a lot of enduros, just get a second box and swap the entire thing out during pit stops when the ice melts.
              Great idea!

Comment

it is only a 4 hours enduro. you fill 1/2 way on the first stint. 2 hours in, throw in another block of ice.
                S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                17 GT350R
                03 Miata Club Sport
                96 NSX
                06 EVO MR
                15 Mini Cooper S
                Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Dumb question of the day: Now that I've used the cool shirt... how do I drain the shirt? The instructions are in the trailer in storage, and the suit it with me at the house. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gkmccready View Post
                    Dumb question of the day: Now that I've used the cool shirt... how do I drain the shirt? The instructions are in the trailer in storage, and the suit it with me at the house. :-)
                    Why do you need to drain it? It's just water.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                      Why do you need to drain it? It's just water.
                      Never seen what grows in "just water" left sitting?

Comment

Originally posted by gkmccready View Post
                        Never seen what grows in "just water" left sitting?
                        next time, use tiny bit of Chlorine. or one of those anti-fungus thingie..
                        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                        17 GT350R
                        03 Miata Club Sport
                        96 NSX
                        06 EVO MR
                        15 Mini Cooper S
                        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I have an I/O Port cool suit vest with hood that I have owned since 2008 and used many many times. I have never drained it and it works just fine.

Comment

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f195/d...260/#post49276
                            this is my cool suit diy thread.

you can buy this below (the unvalved ones) to drain it.

option:
                            5/16" hose barb non-valve x 2 - you need at least 1 to drain the water out of ice chest at end of day. because all connector are valved, this un-valves it. it can also be used to prime the pump.
                            PLC22005 - 5/16 Hose Barb Non-valved In-Line CPC Coupling Insert
                            QuickCouplings : PLC Series : PLC22005 - 5/16 Hose Barb Non-valved In-Line CPC Coupling Insert
                            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                            17 GT350R
                            03 Miata Club Sport
                            96 NSX
                            06 EVO MR
                            15 Mini Cooper S
                            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

What I do is to hook the shirt up to the car, get the tank about 1/4 full then splop a splash of bleach into the water. Run the pump for a minute or so. Then bale out and sponge out the tank. Then hook up a length of plastic tube to the return spout in the tank. Put 1-2 PSI into the other end with my compressor and blow all the water out of the tubes, shirt and pump. So I'm blowing the water out in the reverse direction, exiting via the pump. Then sponge the tank out again.

It is possible to blow the water out with lung power, but it makes my face go red.

Comment

Working...
                              X