+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Chad-1stGen

Thread: Comprehensive SoCal HPDE and Track day guide

Liked
    16 times

Default Comprehensive SoCal HPDE and Track day guide

Hope this is okay to share. If not let me know.

Similar to my comprehensive SoCal Autocross Guide I wanted to make one for driving the big tracks in SoCal. Though as I worked on it and it kept growing I realized I needed to break it up into more digestible chunks and so now have a planned 5 part series. The intent is to cover everything from what a first timer might want to know to what a track day enthusiast looking for more competition might want to know.

I've completed the first two parts.

Part 1 is the basic terminology and should help someone who has never heard of HPDE or Track days but wants to get out there with their own car. Article: Driving your own car on a racetrack.
    Part 2 covers the main host organizations of trackdays and HPDE events in SoCal and a few specialty ones. Article: Socal trackday and HPDE guide.

Upcoming articles will be:
    Part 3: SoCal Racetracks (Road Courses) Guide
    Part 4: SoCal Time Trials Guide
    Part 5: SoCal Wheel to Wheel Racing Guide

Feedback and suggestions welcome. I'd like to keep this series as comprehensive and useful as possible so folks can have a one stop shop, so to speak, to finding about track driving in SoCal.

Liked
    58 times

Part 1 is a long topic, and it depends on what you want to focus on. When I coach students on their 1st track day, I would focus on driving safely on the track. At the same time I would go over basics like hand position, sitting position, situational awareness and how the safety equipment work. I would also go over what "NOT" to modify. A lot of people have minimal knowledge on safety items and did a half ass modification on a perfectly safe factory car & turned it in to a hazard (like 4 point harness).

Part 2, you can add AROSC (Alfa Romeo Owners of Southern California). Very good organizer with time trials, racing school & wheel to wheel racing.
    Last edited by e5pr1t; 10-10-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 - Daily
    2017 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - Tow Truck
    2017 Shelby GT350 - Track Car / Weekend Cruiser
    1991 SuperMiata - W2W Race Car

+ Reply to Thread