Like Tree86Likes

Thread: SPEC CORVETTE Announcement

Liked
    1556 times

Because you can't build an scca T2 car for under $20k soup to nuts

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz14 View Post
    Pardon the ignorance, but if the current T2 rules are close to what you guys are doing with Spec Vette, why reinvent the wheel? Why not just run T2 and build that group?
    James, you know better than anyone the advantages of running a spec class, even if it is a spec class that has multiple chassis in it.

Nobody likes being stuck behind a car that's heavier and more powerful.

Also t2 means new hoosier a7s as often as you can I think.

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz14 View Post
    Pardon the ignorance, but if the current T2 rules are close to what you guys are doing with Spec Vette, why reinvent the wheel? Why not just run T2 and build that group?

That is a really good question that we considered. Ultimately we decided we want to get away from the rubber A-arm bushings and the monoleafs the tend to delaminate with hard racing. Additionally, there are some other restrictions and allowances in T2 we don't want to deal with.

Lastly, the most pragmatic reason is that we can't count on SCCA keeping a steady rule set. Much of the dissatisfaction comes from constant spec changes.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    51 times

This is a really good idea! If I was still living back in the CA, I'd find a way to get involved. Instead, I'll just read the stories on here and tell myself I'd be faster.

Liked
    76 times

This class seems like it has the potential to be the next big thing for grass roots guys. I was checking out the rules, and it's interesting that specific alignment settings have been specified. I did a quick gander for used C5's, and it seems that you need to go out of state (California) to find Vette's close to the price listed in the build sheet.
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Liked
    10 times

3 of those 4 are automatic. What is the cost of a manual swap? Seems like it would be worth it to look longer and start with a manual..

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
    This class seems like it has the potential to be the next big thing for grass roots guys. I was checking out the rules, and it's interesting that specific alignment settings have been specified. I did a quick gander for used C5's, and it seems that you need to go out of state (California) to find Vette's close to the price listed in the build sheet.

Don't go by the advertised prices on Craigslist. They are all over-priced. This is how the cars get priced on Craigslist:
    1. Guy decides to sell his Corvette. He may or may not go to Kelly Bluebook to look up a reference price.
    2. He goes to Craigslist. All Corvette drivers are overly proud of their machines and over-price them. He looks at current advertisements and thinks. My car is a least as good as those so he prices the car with a bit of a premium because he is proud.
    3. This cycle repeats itself over and over on Craigslist with car being listed at inflated prices.
    4. The few properly priced ones will sell fast.
    5. The rest sit there for a long time. Look at the posting dates many are one or two months old.
    6. Eventually the owner tires of all the looky-loos coming by wasting his time with a bunch of questions and/or asking to joy ride the car.
    7. Even the properly priced ones can be negotiated downward by $1,000 or more in some cases.

I bought a 2004 Z16 Lemans edition for $6,000 with 130,000 miles. It had some rear end damage, but totally repairable. It had a salvage title from the hit, but it was in really good shape. The guy wanted $8,900, but by the time I got there he was so tired of the looky-loos. I asked him, what will you take for the car. I was willing to pay $7,500. He said $6,000. I had to not stumble rushing to give him the money. I asked if he would throw in some of the spare parts he had and he said "yes."

Christian bought this gem for $8,000. The seller was asking $10,000. He jumped on the phone the night it went up for sale and went out the following morning at 9 AM and bought it - https://www.facebook.com/ThorVette22...type=3&theater

I bought my very tired 232k drive train base coupe for $3,700. The seller wanted $6,800. The engine and clutch are in bad shape, but I added up my rebuild costs assuming I need to rebuild the engine and upgrade to the LS6 spec, new clutch, rebuild the torque tube, rebuild the tranny and rebuild the diff. With all that new if I paid $4,500 for the car I have an all new drive train and engine car with LS6 spec of $11,000. I got it for $800 under that. And I still get to sell the interior and other parts for $2,000 plus.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
    Hey John,
    Not to beat a horse, but Oli and Carl nailed it. I just want to make sure the understanding is that the prices of these cars are low...even lower than the 8k on the build sheets. In fact, 8k has been on the high end of what all have bought. I bought my FRC with 115k on it for 6500$ and have been beating on it for the last 2 years. I thought my deal was the deal of the century but we found Christian's FRC just taking a quick look at craigslist on a thursday night and picked it up the next morning. 84k miles and in darn near mint condition. 8K. Almost felt bad when we took the interior out....almost. The deals are out there and most will let them go very very cheap. Just show up with cash and ready to throw down. Feel free to join the facebook page for SPEC CORVETTE as we post deals local to us for others to grab. Just picked up a set of 4 z06 GM wheels for 250$. They are going for 299$ each on ebay!

There are a few on CL right now listed on the FB page for sale. Very cheap!

Happy hunting!

$6500 FRC below. Drove it to and from the track last weekend at autoclub.
    18765903_226365827862246_8595892100497668164_n.jpg
    Last edited by trackspec_john; 06-15-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by trackspec_john View Post

$6500 FRC below. Drove it to and from the track last weekend at autoclub.
    Attachment 11029

Trackspec John does need to wash and wax his Corvette once in a while. He is on probation. He has had his gold chains and Hawaiian shirt revoked for 13 months until he can shape up.

Liked
    76 times

Corvette pride is a thing? Do they think the car won LeMans 8 of 16 years or something? Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be keep these points in mind while looking for one. I sent a request to join the FB group as well. Awesome stuff here all around.
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Liked
    15 times

Default Oli's finished cage

Here are a few pics of Oli's finished cage. It came our great!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by trackspec_john; 07-20-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Liked
    15 times

Default SPEC Suspension Packages arriving!

It looks like Christmas hits on a Thursday in July this year...Our first SPEC Corvette suspension package from AFe control has arrived!!!!! Monoballs c-arm bushings are on back order but we will get them shortly!

20228824_253241571841338_3136498001748874337_n.jpg
    20246041_253241561841339_5245820484921345127_n.jpg
    20108318_253241615174667_8139554462539148818_n.jpg
    19894934_253241618508000_6392004562031309988_n.jpg
    20228854_253241608508001_8479466819160925154_n.jpg

Liked
    1556 times

Hey John,

Were my T1 shocks good on the dyno? How does the new AFE valving compare to the T1 shock. How did you guys come up with the spring rates? Did you follow others before you or empirical calculations or?? Or did you use the T1 spring rates but just use coils?

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Hey John,

Were my T1 shocks good on the dyno? How does the new AFE valving compare to the T1 shock. How did you guys come up with the spring rates? Did you follow others before you or empirical calculations or?? Or did you use the T1 spring rates but just use coils?
    Hey Carl- Thats a separate project from these.

Liked
    15 times

Default Update!

Lots going on in the SPEC CORVETTE WORLD and I wanted to give a quick update on sign ups, regions, and builds!

We are getting new members or inquiries weekly! The response to the series has been explosive in nature and we are grateful for that! Car counts are rising and more people are on the look out for their future builds. Moving forward, we will separate the signups into regions to add clarity to activity in your area. I can't tell you how many phone calls we have gotten from someone back east or Midwest saying "I m ready just waiting on others to jump in." in!". I will also post in the regional forums a SPEC CORVETTE thread so there is a central location the regional guys can congregate. Connecting is mission critical.
    Here is the latest list. I will also update the list on the first page post as they come.

Spec Corvette Drivers Committed, Car Type, Location

1 John Nguyen, FRC-(SoCal)
    2 Oli Thordarson, Base Coupe-(SoCal)
    3 John Simon, Z06-(SoCal)
    4 Chris Beliovsky, Base coupe-(SoCal)
    5 Christian Paluzzi, FRC-(SoCal)
    6 Donny Yorke/Dave Weckl, Base Coupe-(SoCal)
    7 Rob Burgoon, Base coupe-(NorCal)
    8 Carl Fung, Z06 -(SoCal)
    9 Chris Qualls, Z06-(SoCal)
    10 Alejandro (Alex) Flores, Base coupe-(SoCal)
    11 Darren Friedman, Base coupe-(SoCal)
    12 Clinton Pichon, Z06-(SoCal)
    13Dan Klaudt, FRC
    14 Alvin N., Z06
    15 Todd Mudd, Z06 -(SoCal)
    16 Scot Young, Z06 (Great Lakes)
    17 Donny Yorke/Darren Freidman/Jake Rozelle
    18 Sanford Peterson (NorCal)
    19 Vincent Bellotti (NorCal)
    20 Sean Duckworth (EAST/MIDWEST)
    21 Greg Nester (NorCal/SoCal)
    22 Daniel Milewski (Great Lakes Region)
    23 Sean Whitwood Z06 (SoCal)
    24 Corbin Swafford Base Coupe (SoCal)
    25 You're next!

There have been numerous calls and inquiries in the other east/midwest/southeast regions where others are just waiting for signups before they make the commitment. We will be posting in the regional forums to help congregate individuals so discussions between these interested parties can take place.

Expressed strong 2018 interest/Looking for build partners

Emilio Cervantes (SoCal)
    C7 Z06 Chuck
    Mark Petronis (East)
    Dean Gale
    Steve Meyer
    JJ Richa
    Keith Knerr
    Ryan Delgrosso (SoCal)
    Joe Aquilante (East)
    Steve Russakov
    Ellie "Bimmer Challenge" (SoCal)
    Alex Tan - Indo Tech Motorsports (SoCal)
    Tony Grau ( Mid West)

Parts
    In addition to the incredible sponsorship deals that we have obtained thru AFE Control (suspension), Falken Tires, Wilwood Brakes, Pierce Motorsports (Cage), Trackspec Motorsports, and Powerstop Brakes, we were also able to get some reduced pricing for Dewitts Radiators and Forgestar Wheels to further help the SPEC CORVETTE build costs. Once you are a registered SPEC CORVETTE Builder, you will recieve a welcome email with all the how to's on obtaining the discounted pricing.

Builds
    Lots of progress on the core cars with several cars hitting the track doing testing/maiden voyages in SoCal. See Photos/video on upcoming posts.

Clint Pichon's Maiden Voyage at Buttonwillow 1CCW Config

Finishing up Oli's coupe for its first track run.

Doing some tire temps and pressures on Christians first outing at Autoclub with the Falken 615k+

John's car is back on the ground and ready to go!

Monoballs, coilovers, sway bars and camber kit installed

Spec Corvette Mugs now available on the website!

Scot Young's Christmas came early this year. His car is done and on the track for shake down runs.

Special SPEC CORVETTE pricing on the Falken 615k+ order pick up!

Overall, we are extremely pleased with the progress of this new racing series! We have lots of builds hitting the tracks while many are getting parts installed as we speak. Be sure to follow our facebook page for day to day discussions, build progress pics, excellent tech advice from senior members and "Deals of the week" for sale alerts! There has also been discussion of a major television network picking up the series....I'll just leave it at that.

Click here for facebook page (750+ Members and growing!) to join the discussion! https://www.facebook.com/ThorVette22/

We are shooting for the first official race to coincide with SPEED VENTURES and SuperMiata races for 2018. We are awaiting their 2018 schedule to be released for the official dates.

Thank you and hope to see you on grid!

John@speccorvette

Email: John@speccorvette.com
    SPEC Corvette

CorvetteForum Thread: Click Here
    Last edited by trackspec_john; 11-06-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    Olitho, bawareca, JJ1 and 3 others like this.

Liked
    475 times

This series is going to upset the Corvette interior parts commodity market. I better put a sell order in!
    Olitho and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    This series is going to upset the Corvette interior parts commodity market. I better put a sell order in!
    Lol! You are not kidding. Factory Z06 wheel prices are going up while interior parts are getting dumped! Sell sell sell!
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    716 times

Quote Originally Posted by trackspec_john View Post
    . . . while interior parts are getting dumped! Sell sell sell!
    Has that always been the position on Corvette interiors? Sell sell sell!
    Olitho and craZee like this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    19 times

Is there any Spec Corvettes going to be at Cal Speedway this weekend? I have not heard about or seen any video of any races. Has there been any races? Is there a site or mailing list where drivers are communicating?
    Allan Hauser
    2011 So Cal SE30 Champion
    2012 So Cal SE30 Champion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast