+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: SPEC CORVETTE Announcement

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Are the brake pads spec or is that open?
    Open.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    349 times

Hi Oli,

What would be involved in making a Spec Corvette legal (and competitive) for SCCA T2 or NASA ST3? Tires obviously, but what else would be involved? Is it practical to try and crossover to these classes?

Mark
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    Hi Oli,

What would be involved in making a Spec Corvette legal (and competitive) for SCCA T2 or NASA ST3? Tires obviously, but what else would be involved? Is it practical to try and crossover to these classes?

Mark
    We specifically want the cars to cross over to T2 and ST3. NASA ST3 is easy. Just change the tires and dyno for the HP setting you want. If you don't mind being wingless then the car can do ST2 as well. Wingless at ACS is probably an advantage, not so much at WSIR.

T2 has a caveat. The racer either needs to not install the sphericals and the 355mm front rotors, or Spec Corvette needs to be successful at getting SCCA to adjust the T2 spec for those. We plan to petition SCCA, but we are waiting until we can carry a big stick of some decent car counts. That will give us more influence for the changes we are going to request.
    SeanB, OJR and markn like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2471 times

Color me interested. The formula has much the same appeal as Supermiata, cost containment, parity, no secret sauce needed to build a competitive car. We'll watch to see how the series progresses. For now, we have our hands full with S1 and S2 along with a few other projects. Come Q4/17, we'll review plans for an SC for the 2018 season. If we did, I would only drive select events, sharing the car with Sonny, Dan and William as well as renting it occasionally.
    Olitho and Loose Caboose like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2221 times

Color me interested. The formula has much the same appeal as Supermiata, cost containment, parity, no secret sauce needed to build a competitive car. We'll watch to see how the series progresses. For now, we have our hands full with S1 and S2 along with a few other projects. Come Q4/17, we'll review plans for an SC for the 2018 season. If we did, I would only drive select events, sharing the car with Sonny, Dan and William as well as renting it occasionally.

That is awesome. Just yesterday afternoon I had a talk with a racer in Ohio who wants to fly west to do races.

Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    That is awesome. Just yesterday afternoon I had a talk with a racer in Ohio who wants to fly west to do races.
    Yup. Our experience in Supermiata has been much the same. The cost to have a spec that controls cost and improves parity is that it may be less compatible with other sanctioning bodies. That means any good SC will require a weekend in the garage to be converted to a legal and competitive ST2 or ST3 car.
    And what that means is that there are no legacy builds laying around like you find in Spec Miata. Spec Miata rentals are everywhere and you can buy a used one for dirt cheap any day of the week.

Those looking to get into SPM or SC are therefore looking for someone to build them a car from scratch or building it themselves as there is no repository of "old" cars. Renderos Racing has been doing a brisk business building SPM's one at a time, selling them before they are ever done.
    Perhaps you could find a California based shop to build one for a customer and see if they are willing to build more.

Renderos Racing
    TC Design
    Blackbird Fabworx for tub prep
    Iron Canyon

Maybe Trackspec could build a car. Not sure who else could do them. In any case, yes, there will be a strong market for rentals through early '19 I think.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    We specifically want the cars to cross over to T2 and ST3. NASA ST3 is easy. Just change the tires and dyno for the HP setting you want. If you don't mind being wingless then the car can do ST2 as well. Wingless at ACS is probably an advantage, not so much at WSIR.

T2 has a caveat. The racer either needs to not install the sphericals and the 355mm front rotors, or Spec Corvette needs to be successful at getting SCCA to adjust the T2 spec for those. We plan to petition SCCA, but we are waiting until we can carry a big stick of some decent car counts. That will give us more influence for the changes we are going to request.

At this time if you have a T2 Vette you can run specVette but you will probably not be a front runner and you have to be in T2 spec to run SCCA T2. That will be the only way to run both for now.

However, SCCA already has a history of allowing SMG (spec mustang) into T2. The SMG was not competitive in T2 but gave the SMG driver another place to play with better car counts and a way to participate in National Majors racing and the Runoffs. There are guys like me that don't care about winning but care about racing cool tracks around the country. The last 4 Runoffs have been Laguna Seca, Daytona, Mid-Ohio, and this year Indy. That's pretty cool. I'm sure SCCA will accept the SpecVette with some adjustment like weight or restrictor or the specVette tire. SpecVette is faster than the C5 T2 vette (55mm restrictor and 3550lbs.) but really we aren't too shabby 130mph T8 at WSIR and 160mph at Daytona. I expect SpecVette to thrill very close to the old 2012 T1 speeds depending on tires. Once SpecVette gets going and SCCA lets us in, I suspect the SpecVette will become the preferred build.
    Olitho and markn like this.

Liked
    10 times

Sounds interesting. How stripped does a car need to be to make the minimum weight? Any chance you could keep a car street legal (headlights, side glass)? I know it isn't practical to drive to the track but having plates makes many other things a lot more convenient.

What kind of average laptimes do you expect to achieve at CA tracks?

I think some pictures of builds and completed cars would help generate interest. Also you experienced Corvette racers could estimate consumables and running costs, should be reasonable to run, especially with the cheaper tires.

I like the idea of running with Speedventures (lower cost, less red tape) but you would probably have to combine groups until you get a big enough field (no big deal).

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cory M View Post
    Sounds interesting. How stripped does a car need to be to make the minimum weight? Any chance you could keep a car street legal (headlights, side glass)? I know it isn't practical to drive to the track but having plates makes many other things a lot more convenient.

What kind of average laptimes do you expect to achieve at CA tracks?

I think some pictures of builds and completed cars would help generate interest. Also you experienced Corvette racers could estimate consumables and running costs, should be reasonable to run, especially with the cheaper tires.

I like the idea of running with Speedventures (lower cost, less red tape) but you would probably have to combine groups until you get a big enough field (no big deal).

Spec Corvette has been flattered by the broad interest for racing in this new class.

SPEC Corvette home page as a couple of representations of that the cars look like. Missing in those photos are the hood vents and the small rear spoiler that has not been spec'd out yet. We are still doing some testing.

Lap times for these cars on Hoosiers are 1:46 at ACS, 1:27 at WSIR and 1:19 at SoWS. We don't have BRP #13 lap times since the track has been repaved, but expect low 1:50's. Since we are racing on Falken tires I expect our lap times to be three seconds off of the aforementioned lap times.

The tire deal we cut is $860 for the Falken 615k+ tire, about half off of the list. No race fuel allowed so that cuts that cost a bunch. The other significant cost are brake pads which are open to your choice of brand and compound.

We do expect to run with Speed Ventures on Corvette Challenge dates.
    bawareca and b3d3g1 like this.

Liked
    2339 times

you would probably have to combine groups until you get a big enough field (no big deal).
    I don't think anything other than SCCA SRF and Spec Miata get their own run group (consistently) ?
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-06-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    428 times

One of the things I like most about SuperMiata is the chance to run in a less structured track day environment and the ability to drive all day long if I want. NASA was a little too limited in track time and I had trouble getting up to speed until the last day. Forget about it if I had a mechanical issue.

If the goal is to go National, you obviously need a national level organizer to keep parity, publicize, and herd cats, but SpeedVentures or Alfa Club is much preferred for a regional series from a driver's stand point.
    ETK likes this.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    One of the things I like most about SuperMiata is the chance to run in a less structured track day environment and the ability to drive all day long if I want. NASA was a little too limited in track time and I had trouble getting up to speed until the last day. Forget about it if I had a mechanical issue.

If the goal is to go National, you obviously need a national level organizer to keep parity, publicize, and herd cats, but SpeedVentures or Alfa Club is much preferred for a regional series from a driver's stand point.
    The trick with NASA is to add a second race group or TT for about $100-$150 more. That gets your track time up to 2+ hours a day and gives you a better shot at shaking the cobwebs off. A nice cheap compromise if you can't afford the extra day to do the friday test.

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post

I like Alfa Club. They are very safe and always have fire rescue on site. SCCA is the safest IMO. They have a medical chief usually an M.D.. All safety gear must be in place before the races. The have 2 ambulances and fire rescue on site and are not too cheap to fly in the helicopter to fly an injured guy out to keep ambulances on site so races can continue. They also have 2 workers per corner station with fire bottles. One work looks upstream the other downstream so nothing dangerous gets missed. You really appreciate what SCCA does considering you will crash if you race long enough and at every SCCA Majors race weekend I have been to around the country there is always a good wreck.

Lots of tracktime is nice and you get that with AlfaClub. But I also like just doing a qualy and race even when I have never seen the track before. It just adds to the challenge. This year people asked why I didn't show up for friday practice at Sebring. I told them I went fishing then I raced Sebring and had a fantastic time and in class battle with a car I hate the most...porsches. Yuk! A couple of months later I broke at CoTA and did not qualify so started 43rd and saw the track in the rain for a whole 15 minutes in practice. I raced it from 43rd on a dry track and finished 7th. Man that was fun! So if the attitude is right you can have fun regardless the venue. I think once we get the car counts SpecVette is going to be able to go where ever it wants. If this really takes off SpecVette will have to reach for a national club like NASA, SCCA, or even SVRA who are hurting for car counts. SVRA doing anyting to get car counts getting in bed with TransAm, doing Mazda Miata Heritage Cup, and group 12 newer cars before 2013. They have gone way off the Vintage reservation. Why not SpecVette?
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    1556 times

How stripped does a car need to be to make the minimum weight? Any chance you could keep a car street legal (headlights, side glass)?

In the lightest SCCA T1 2012 trim we were 3180LBS. At that time I ran all stock glass including side windows and headlights and the HVAC! That’s right I have working A/C! I’m also a safety nut so my cage is all 120 wall similar to A-sedan spec for the max. weight I would ever run the car. I’m glad I did that because now my car has to run at 3550lbs. For my class. 090 wall is required by SCCA for this car so your car can even be lighter. So the SpecVette min weight (3200 or something) is easy to achieve with most if not all the comforts of the stock vette. I think considering the 200TWR spec tires you could even drive to the track and race and drive home if you want a really simple foot print. Then you put some beer in Oli’s refrigerator and you will always have a place to stay out of the sun when you are not in the car. As a group we got about every tool you could need. These cars are so bullet-proof I think you could show up to the track with a tire guage, torque wrench for lug nuts and a qt. Of oil and be good for the day.
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    60 times

The trick with NASA is to add a second race group or TT for about $100-$150 more. That gets your track time up to 2+ hours a day and gives you a better shot at shaking the cobwebs off. A nice cheap compromise if you can't afford the extra day to do the friday test.
    Fully agree that this would be highly desirable - some method to add to the available track time (for those that want it) at a reasonable cost. Might be a win-win for everyone if implemented properly. One of the reasons that we opted to start building the Exocet is so that Ryan can essentially double the track time per weekend -albeit as structured today, the costs will be high so we won't do it all of the time.

To get to the tracks, I'd venture to say the average racer is on the road 2-3 hrs minimum (each way) and of course it is an investment of an entire weekend. In the best case, racers get 70 minutes of track time per day - and typically less because of "incidents". It would be nice to explore ways to improve this - for everyone's benefit.

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    - some method to add to the available track time (for those that want it) at a reasonable cost. Might be a win-win for everyone if implemented properly.
    One of the cool things that AlfaClub does is an annual enduro race. Maybe SpecVette could have an Enduro with perhaps a Pro/Am sort of feel where a SpecVette owner has to partner with anyone not owning a SpecVette to sucker in potential new recruits to the SpecVette crack pipe.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2471 times

AROSC (Alfa Club) partnered with NCRC last year for a 2hr enduro at Buttonwillow. Several Supermiatas showed up. One of them won overall
    Lots of fun.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2339 times

AROSC (Alfa Club) partnered with NCRC last year for a 2hr enduro at Buttonwillow. Several Supermiatas showed up. One of them won overall
    Lots of fun.
    not when Spec Corvette shows up !!
    oh wait, does SC need to fuel like 6 times for the 2 hours enduro ?
    Olitho and bawareca like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    not when Spec Corvette shows up !!
    oh wait, does SC need to fuel like 6 times for the 2 hours enduro ?
    It might be able to get away with one gas stop if you drive it nice, but the Corvette is hard pressed to go an hour at race speed.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    51 times

Pardon the ignorance, but if the current T2 rules are close to what you guys are doing with Spec Vette, why reinvent the wheel? Why not just run T2 and build that group?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast