+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: SPEC CORVETTE Announcement

JJ1
    Liked
    185 times

Looks like a great racing class but I'm having trouble seeing how you build a "car with top performing parts for less than $20,000".

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    Looks like a great racing class but I'm having trouble seeing how you build a "car with top performing parts for less than $20,000".
    Check out this link, and we negotiated some key component packages at 50% and more off of list. - BUILD SHEET
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2339 times

Just thinking out loud. Are there any racing series spec street tires ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Just thinking out loud. Are there any racing series spec street tires ?
    I am not sure I understand your question. So you mean spec tires that are not DOT-Rs like Maxxis for SPM and Hoosier/Toyo for SM?

I am not sure of any street tires being used in a race series currently. When I did World Challenge in 2010 we raced on Toyo R888 tires which is a street tire.

Liked
    1556 times

If you notice the build sheet the spec Falkin tire is 1/2 the cost of a set of DotR Hoosiers! That is a huge savings in disposables. My guess is a 200TWR Falken RT615K? Think of it. If you do nothing else in your race program but have 50% lower tire Budget you don't have to bribe your wife with as many pairs of shoes!

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    If you notice the build sheet the spec Falkin tire is 1/2 the cost of a set of DotR Hoosiers! That is a huge savings in disposables. My guess is a 200TWR Falken RT615K? Think of it. If you do nothing else in your race program but have 50% lower tire Budget you don't have to bribe your wife with as many pairs of shoes!

Ha ha! Yes, that is correct. We actually did a deal for the newest Falken 615k+ tires at half off.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    19 times

I really like the idea of Spec Corvette. How many cars are currently race ready? Is there any cars that are available for rent? I would like to drive one before I commit to a build. A big deciding factor for me is which sanctioning body the class decides to run with.

Allan
    bellwilliam likes this.
    Allan Hauser
    2011 So Cal SE30 Champion
    2012 So Cal SE30 Champion

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by 78kona View Post
    I really like the idea of Spec Corvette. How many cars are currently race ready? Is there any cars that are available for rent? I would like to drive one before I commit to a build. A big deciding factor for me is which sanctioning body the class decides to run with.

Allan
    My car will be available for a test drive. What is interesting is that there is interest from some east coast racers who want to keep a car in California or rent one and then fly out to race in the winter.

John's car is ready to go right now although he doesn't have the sphericals or big brake kit on the car. I have driven it and it drives great. My car is hopefully ready in a month to 5 weeks completely ready to go with everything.

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by 78kona View Post
    I really like the idea of Spec Corvette.
    I'm an SCCA racer in corvette committed to T2 was former T1. Before spec vette I was looking for a new car to build for T2 or T1 or maybe a GT class just for something different. I keep coming back to vettes as the best platform for exciting fast car that is durable cheap (by race standards) and safe. They have one of the lowest CG's and difficult to roll. The steel chassis with glued on body makes if near impossible to have failures like that BMW with the trailing arm pulled out of its pocket. From experience I can tell you that without a unibody it is much easier and cheaper to repair crash damage. On the FRC's you can make the roof removable and bolt on for easy rollcage fabrication and access to work on the interior without having to do the hunchback. Big component attached to sub frames removal like engine gearbox are simple. Routine suspension adjustments are stupid simple. So all my plans for a new car are on hold since I hope specVette will be the next new hot thing and will fit in an SCCA national class so we can play at Runoffs at cool tracks around the country. 2018 Runoffs is back in California and nothing would be more cool than 20 specVettes for the inaugural year.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    561 times

In my rather small mind, the best way to generate excitement will be video. I don't know much about actual costs these days, but I have to think in this world of amazing technology, to borrow from Jeremy Clarkson "how hard can it be?"

Steve
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    In my rather small mind, the best way to generate excitement will be video. I don't know much about actual costs these days, but I have to think in this world of amazing technology, to borrow from Jeremy Clarkson "how hard can it be?"

Steve
    What kind of video? In-car? A walk around a finished car showing the Spec Corvette pieces? A car in the build process? All of the aforementioned?

A video of you?

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

Steve
    I know! We need the Fly360 guys as sponsors and sell us 360 degree video cameras for cheap and we can post the specVette races on-line.

Liked
    2221 times

I know! We need the Fly360 guys as sponsors and sell us 360 degree video cameras for cheap and we can post the specVette races on-line.
    I am up for some more SPM and Spec Corvette racer only deals.

Maybe we can cut a deal with Fly or Samsung?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    349 times

This class looks like a solid winner. Beyond hubs and maybe brakes, what are the weak points on the car? Any particular years or versions that are more desirable than others? Is the Z06 eligible year one or is the non-z06 the only eligible car initially? Based on observing other spec classes the more spec you make things now the better. Variants only bring on cod and endless parity discussions.
    Olitho likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    561 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    What kind of video? In-car? A walk around a finished car showing the Spec Corvette pieces? A car in the build process? All of the aforementioned?

A video of you?
    A race broadcast, like the SCCA runoffs has...although it's possible it doesn't have to be live at first.

Definitely not a video of me...unless your goal is to induce projectile vomit in those watching

Steve
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    This class looks like a solid winner. Beyond hubs and maybe brakes, what are the weak points on the car? Any particular years or versions that are more desirable than others? Is the Z06 eligible year one or is the non-z06 the only eligible car initially? Based on observing other spec classes the more spec you make things now the better. Variants only bring on cod and endless parity discussions.
    Sounds like the C5 coupe has better aero than the FRC and Z06. The Z06 has different transmission ratios. Early years have a less durable and inferior ABS system.

I tried to get them to spec a single car, but failed.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 06-05-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    markn likes this.

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    The cars are a pretty solid build overall. Extra cooling for the engine, tranny and diff are very advisable for racing durability, especially on long summer races.

The 2000 and later cars have a couple of better components such as the diff being a bit stronger and the ABS electronics are more reliable. I just bought a 1998 for $3,700. The body and chassis is in great shape. At 232,000 miles the engine is quite worn, but I can have that engine completely rebuilt with new pistons for $3,000 by a shop that has rebuilt 7,000 of the LS engines. For another $1,500 I can and will have the engine upgraded to the LS6 spec.

The base couple and FRC come with the LS1 engine. They ultimately need the LS6 cam and heads upgrade, but they come with a closer ratio transmission that is actually better for road racing than the stock Z06 transmission. We are allowing drivers to swap transmissions.
    SeanB, bawareca and markn like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2471 times

Are the brake pads spec or is that open?
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2339 times

On the FRC's you can make the roof removable and bolt on for easy rollcage fabrication and access to work on the interior .
    can you elaborate on this.. This sounds like a great thing.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    can you elaborate on this.. This sounds like a great thing.

Chevy has 5 bolts and epoxy glue holding the top on the frc/z06. You can cut the epoxy and then have a removable top very miata like. This gives great access.
    bellwilliam and SeanB like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast