+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: LFX (GM V6) in a Miata @ Goodwin Racing

Liked
    492 times

Got the USM (Universal Sensor Module) sorted. The USM is a four channel add-on to the Racepack digital dash allowing the addition of any sensors you want. Black box in the pic below:

The USM is why I finally took the plunge on a digital display. The original plan had been to add at least two more Accutech SMI gauges to the two I already had in the car so I could keep track of temperatures of all the various important bits. I realized I was heading down a path to having a very busy interior with a lot of things to try to keep an eye on.

The digital dash simplifies everything into one place where I can program warnings for each input and leave the dash to monitor things while I just drive. The dash pulls most of the engine vitals info I need right through the OBDII but the USM makes it possible to add the extra sensors I wanted and simplifies the wiring by transferring everything to the display via one V-net cable.

The sensors are already installed in their various locations, documented earlier in this thread. Now, on to wiring up the sensors to the USM. Here I’m using milspec /32 wire same as previously, but this time in 22ga twisted pairs. The twisting is a method of shielding the signal from interference. Frankly, you don't need it for these types of sensor’s signals but here I used it because it helps keep things tidy:

Wiring within the USM box. The USM has a strain relief feature on the inlets which is a nice touch; tighten the outer nut and it clamps down on the wire to secure it in place:

The finished USM harness:

Mounting the box was done on the top/rear of the engine via a pair of simple brackets. Yes it’s tight back there. This is mounted to the engine so that all the sensor wiring can stay with the motor when it’s removed, just disconnect the single V-net cable connector:

With the box mounted we just need to run the V-net cable to the display. This could be done with one long cable that would need to pass through the firewall, or a bit cleaner version here that involves two shorter cables and a bulkhead connector:

Tidy

The remaining wiring to be done was to tie in where necessary on the GM wiring harness. Most of this was coming through the firewall from the chassis harness - things like ignition switch, start button, lights, fan, drive by wire throttle, OBDII, etc.

I blasted through this and forgot to take all but one picture - V8R advised that the throttle pedal signal is very sensitive to interference, so for this I ran a 6-wire shielded cable on both the chassis and engine side:

The rest was just patching stuff into the existing engine harness. The stuff I added is all on par with what I did on the chassis side, but I’d love to re-do the entire engine harness in the future so that it is all up to higher standards. However, for now it’s a good working harness and this thing needs to be running!

All of the wiring interface from chassis to engine converges in the rear right corner of the engine bay. Everything is set up to disconnect from the chassis quickly/simply and comes out intact with the engine. There’s only four total things to disconnect, all located here: main bulkhead connector, v-net connector, engine ground and one M6 bolt that holds the fuse/relay plate to the firewall. Not trying to hide wires or tuck anything away, the goal here is easily accessible and quickly removable:

BOWERSdaAZIAN and bawareca like this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    492 times

Taking a detour for a bit, our tech day at the shop is coming up this Saturday and a couple days ago I realized that April 1 will be the one year mark to the day from when the car rolled in to the shop and the old engine came out. Decided the car should be on the ground and on display out front on that day!

So, the next couple days will be a bit of jumping around with random updates as I prioritize just the things needed to get the car on the ground.

Front Suspension

Clearly we were in need of some suspension to set the car on! Installed the following:
    Feal 442 coilovers
    Control arms with spherical bearings
    Spindles with fresh hubs
    R package tie rod ends
    V8R upper rebuildable ball joints
    Bauer extended lower ball joints

Notes...
    - haven't sorted out the front sway bar yet but don't need that for Saturday.
    - V8R front upper ball joints are tight until they lap in (takes a couple hundred miles). Correct assembly is to torque top cap down then back it off one "notch" of the lock ring and then install the lock ring. Reset the lash after first track day or 200 miles.

Setting the shock length/bump travel in the front (done with spring removed from the shock assembly):

Driveshaft

Installed the driveshaft with rear subframe and differential. Has to be done together as the Getrag has a long shaft on the flange to the driveshaft that the driveshaft slides over, so you lower the diff about 12 inches, install the driveshaft and then raise the diff with the driveshaft attached.

The CV joint on the driveshaft gave us some trouble, the CV wants to spring apart and has to be held together while installed. During first install something came unseated inside and the bearings locked up. Quickly evident as the drivetrain wouldn't rotate because the CV was locked at one angle. Had to disassemble/reassemble the CV (and order the proper CV grease) and then reinstall. Everything is in and happy now. Forgot to take a pic.

Axles

V8R Stage 2 axles - first off, examining these in person they are very nice pieces.
    Comes marked as one long and one short. Long one goes on the right side. The CV joints in these are packed with grease and the grease can keep the CVs from compressing fully so at first it appeared the axles were too long. Pulled them out and worked the joints around while putting body weight on them and they shortened up a lot and then installed fine.

Current state of affairs in the rear:

So, axles, hubs and spindles are in along with the V8R upper pro series control arms. What's NOT in are my lower control arms complete with spherical bearings. The placeholders right now are factory arms with rubber bushings that were laying around.

This spherical bearing kit had some dimensional issues in some of the rear pieces. Unfortunately the company who makes the bearing kit has been working at a snail's pace to make the necessary changes. As this kit is here for evaluation, this makes it hard to recommend it, but hopefully that stuff will get sorted out soon. As a last resort I can have the existing pieces machined to work right myself, but they assure me they're working on corrected pieces. We'll see, but for the moment these loaner rear lower arms will get the car on the ground.

Ran into one more hurdle in the rear. The beefy axles are larger in just about every dimension than stock Miata axles. Where the axles passes by the coilover, it's very tight. There's juuuuust enough clearance from the CV boot to the lower cup on the rear coilover, so that is OK but the lower lock ring on the coilover has a larger OD than the cup below it and that ring hits the boot:

Can't have these two bits contacting with the axle spinning of course. I believe I have a solution figured out, Feal is sending over some parts that I think I can modify to make a custom low-profile lock ring out of. That stuff arrives Friday.

Fluids

Final thing tonight was getting fluid in the trans and diff since we'll be rolling the car around.

Trans is 75W90
    Diff is 75W90 + 4oz Limited Slip Additive. Sounds like snake oil to me but OK we'll follow the spec.
    bawareca likes this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    492 times

Ticking things off the list.

Final install of the front brakes is complete. Confirmed fitment with performance friction pads that clear the bridge bolt. The backing plates needed a fraction of a millimeter shaved off the sides to slide smoothly on the guide plates then they were perfect:

Before the weekend I need a steering wheel! Steering wheel needs a steering column, that means I need the dash... and if that's going in I should get the IQ3S display mounted as well.

Needed a bracket to hold the IQ3S so I made this:

It piggy-backs on the two bolts holding the steering column to the dash bar and is slotted for adjusting distance from the steering wheel and vertical placement.

Still much to do in the inside of the car but now we've got a dash, digital display and steering column all mounted up and ready for a steering wheel:

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    492 times

The final hurdle before our tech day was the axle boots rubbing the lower lock collar on the rear coilovers. The boots can be compressed a bit to improve clearance but I want to make sure this area is smooth and doesn't have anything that could damage the boot if they do make contact. Changing to a ring/collar that takes a pin type spanner wrench instead of the current notched rings I have would do the trick, but there wasn't enough time to source one among all the various shock body sizes/thread pitches out there.

Called Feal up and they sent down a spare lower shock mount... looks like it belongs to a Subaru or similar. That's perfect, all I needed was the threaded top portion. Cut two rings off the top to make new lock rings from:

Cleaned up the rings and drilled four holes in the outward side of each ring juuuust shallow enough that they didn't go through to the inner threaded side. Then we couldn't find the pin type spanner wrench at the shop so I threw a quick and dirty one together:

The lock ring now clears the boot, has the same OD as the lower portion of the coilover and has a smooth outer surface in the event of contact:

And with that I installed the rear coilovers and then the wheels and set her on the ground for the first time in a year! Tomorrow she'll be out in front of the shop for our tech day.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    570 times

Quote Originally Posted by thepass View Post
    Then we couldn't find the pin type spanner wrench at the shop so I threw a quick and dirty one together:

Welcome to my world
    Incidentally, my car hit the ground yesterday. There is a hope after all, we may see the track again, some day
    Olitho and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    492 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Welcome to my world
    Incidentally, my car hit the ground yesterday. There is a hope after all, we may see the track again, some day
    Congrats! Yes we may just make it before they close down all the racetracks and electric self-driving cars take over the world.
    bawareca likes this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    492 times

Out front for our tech day at the shop. Starting to look more and more like a car. Still many items on the to-do list but it felt great to have it out there even just rolling. We're getting there

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    492 times

Back on the lift and continuing to tick items off the list. Today I ran the main battery cable and engine grounds. This motorsports grade cable is awesome stuff and super flexible:

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    2140 times

New posts to this build thread are always the highlight of my day. Such great work, Ryan.

How did you make the bracket for the IQ3S? It's beautiful.

Liked
    492 times

Thanks Brett (see I even used your proper name and everything, how about that?)

The IQ3S bracket I just drew up digitally and then waterjet and bend. Love making parts like this, takes me back to the drafting I did in school. I have another bracket that I did at the same time, that update is coming shortly as soon as I get it installed.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    492 times

The revised spacers for the control arm spherical bearing kit arrived. The kit is made by ESM Race up in Canada. I originally found the bearing spacers for the rear lower outer position were the wrong ID and length. It took them a while to get the corrected bits to me but, to be fair, just about every machinist I've known seems to operate on a different calendar than the rest of us. At any rate, parts are here now and right. I'm checking with them now to ensure that any Miata kits they make in the future have these corrections.

The final hitch was in the rear upper outer; the V8R arms have the cool feature of using an eccentric bolt there to adjust camber quickly without affecting toe, but the eccentric bolt is larger in diameter than the normal bolt in that location so the ESM bearing spacers for that spot didn't fit. Not ESM's fault, just particular needs of my setup. Had a local machinist drill those spacers out to match the eccentric bolt diameter and now everything is in:

BOWERSdaAZIAN, Red_5 and bawareca like this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    307 times

Nothing is ever easy is it?

Best project ever Ryan. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Mark
    Loose Caboose and thepass like this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    492 times

Fuse/relay box and power distribution are now mounted and installed. Needed a bracket for these items so I made this:

Installed:

Also made the 6ga cable for starter to alternator :

Last edited by thepass; 04-04-2017 at 11:50 PM.
    bawareca likes this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    2 times

Hell of a build! I'm jonesin to put one of these LFX motors in my NC mx5. Maybe in a few years. I rode right seat in an rx8 with an LFX swap and it was the perfect power for the chassis.

Liked
    492 times

Finished the switch panel up yesterday. I wanted to keep the identifiably Miata "tombstone" center console shape. Switches for lights are preemptive - don't have lights in the car yet but planning to. Still need to add the brake bias knob.

BOWERSdaAZIAN and bawareca like this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    4 times

Just found this thread, great work! I especially like the details on the wiring and dash, I never have the patience for that stuff.

For additional clearance from the shock to the CV have you considered "aero boots"? I don't know if they are made for your application, or could be adapted, but they are pretty slick and would give you a lot more room. Check out the link below for an example, see the pic of the standard and aero CV boot side by side:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=1472

Liked
    492 times

949Racing endlinks installed in the front. These are really nice. I really should pretty up the front sway bar, but it's probably going to end up only being in there temporarily...

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    492 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cory M View Post
    Just found this thread, great work! I especially like the details on the wiring and dash, I never have the patience for that stuff.

For additional clearance from the shock to the CV have you considered "aero boots"? I don't know if they are made for your application, or could be adapted, but they are pretty slick and would give you a lot more room. Check out the link below for an example, see the pic of the standard and aero CV boot side by side:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=1472
    Those are interesting, I'd like to avoid disassembling the axles for now but cool idea.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

fe4
    Liked
    25 times

What's the future power adder?

I love the build, but there is no way it will have a good enough power to drag ratio to keep up with Unlimited class cars....will it?

Liked
    492 times

Who said anything about Unlimited? This car's being built for Modified / Limited

That said, there may be more power in the future but the goal isn't to build an overpowered car. The focus is on getting a dead reliable 300whp with lots of torque and very smooth delivery, something that can still be driven like the momentum car that the Miata is, just with more momentum
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast