+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: LFX (GM V6) in a Miata @ Goodwin Racing

Liked
    492 times

Yes, the end is angled. The sideskirts will form a floor under the exhaust and air from the front wheel well will be traveling down the exhaust area and out the sides so the end of that convex area is angled to channel the air out to the side.
    GriddleYouth likes this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    492 times

Almost caught up to current! While the engine is out for the last time, I had some final things on the list to take care of in there. Modified/Limited classes allow the cage to pass through the firewall so... tying the shock towers into the chassis and cage.

The inner tubes are removable for engine work, and assymetric to clear the brake master cylinder on the driver's side.

The end plan is for the center tubes to continue on the other side of the firewall to form an X and tie in to the cage on opposing corners. I'll finish that portion up later, but needed this part done so I can paint it and get the engine in there.

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    492 times

In classic "if you give a mouse a cookie" fashion... things snowballed a bit The following really has nothing to do with the LFX engine swap, but it's all one big project and at least this gives an accounting for the last month of work so you guys don't think I took off and sat on a beach for a while instead of getting this car done

Class rules allow free reign on the chassis for everything forward of the shock towers. So, I started trimming excess weight out from the nose of the frame/chassis... Started with just a little - taking out mounting points that were no longer being used etc. and weighing what I had taken off... aaaand kept trimming more and more.

Got to the point that the sway bar mounts were the only thing left forwards of the towers, and still wanted more weight out of it. So in the end I made a jig for every forward mounting point that needs to exist for the new setup - including the sway bar mount points - and chopped the whole nose off.

It was the logical conclusion to take the full advantage of the rule's allowance.

That was about one month ago. Bit of a side-track from getting the engine swap up and running, but at this point what's another 50 hour detour? Might as well do it right while I'm in here.

Now to build everything new to save any weight possible from the nose. Several things up front that this new structure needs to support; splitter, radiator, oil and power steering coolers, ducting, intake, front bumper, front sway bar, etc. I began with building a jig for all the existing mounting point positions that I knew I needed to recreate (pic further up this page).

Frame rail and front of tower strengthened and capped to build the new sway bar mounts out from:

Building the new structure around the jig:

If I'm going through the trouble to make everything, might as well build some tricks into it so the front sway bar mounts are fixed, but everything forward from there is removable:

The front section removes with just one bolt and one quick disconnect pin on each side:

Front section in place with the radiator and ducting being test-fit. I'm really excited for this removable nose section. The idea is that when serious engine work is needed, after removing the splitter (just pull 4 pins) and disconnecting hoses, I can essentially remove the entire front of the car in a matter of minutes as one intact assembly and set it aside, then it re-installs as a unit when done:

I'm moving the front tow point to the passenger side shock tower to shift that weight back a bit. Added a mounting point for the new tow hook to the tower:

I drew up a tow hook to go from there up through the hood, that's being cut at the waterjet soon.

Weighed everything that got cut off and everything before it was welded on. This project shaved 25 lbs off the front of the car. Might not sound like much, but with all the easy weight savings already done long ago, these days I'm looking for smaller and smaller increments of weight left trim, so a 25 lb chunk is a big bite off the nose.

With all that done, on to painting it. Everything is in primer here. In the end it looks pretty simple, belying the complexity that went into the many details - which I think is a mark of an efficient design:

Just finished two tone paint in the engine bay today, so I'm just about ready to get back on track and start bolting parts in for good soon.
    Last edited by thepass; 12-08-2016 at 01:00 AM.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1780 times

Looks great

Liked
    2141 times

Snowballed might be an understatement.

Liked
    492 times

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    492 times

Paint is done. The bay is a medium gray and the cage in the car is pearl white, so I carried that color into the engine bay where the cage extends to the shock towers.

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    662 times

Amazing work! You're inspiring me to get off my ass and learn to weld.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    373 times

Please tell me that you are keeping track of the number of man hours in this project? I can't wait for the final tally.

Looks amazing.

Liked
    492 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    Please tell me that you are keeping track of the number of man hours in this project?
    I am... but I probably shouldn't be
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    1780 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    Please tell me that you are keeping track of the number of man hours in this project?
    Last edited by Blackbird; 12-08-2016 at 07:01 PM.
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.

Liked
    389 times

I need to change my oil.... but while I'm in there...
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - commuter

Liked
    492 times

Big day, engine and transmission are officially in! For the final time (fingers crossed).

First, flywheel and clutch. The factory clutch and flywheel combo are over 50 lbs (!!!). While the standard clutch will likely hold up to lots of abuse in a car that's half the weight of the original, I wasn't putting a 50 lb combo in here.

New combo courtesy of SPEC. Combined weight comes to 31.20 lbs, ~20 lbs lighter than factory combo:

With that done, we joined the transmission and engine and put 'er in:

Notes on installing engine...

We put the engine and transmission in as one unit because room is tight around the top of the bellhousing to the tunnel and firewall. With the long flywheel/clutch assebly, it didn't look like it would be possible to get the bellhousing over the clutch with the engine already in place. With the front of the car absent we had more options than usual, but discussing options after doing it this way, we're thinking the best method in the future is to assemble the subframe and engine/trans all as one, put that whole assembly on a dolly and then lower the car onto the assembly.
    Other notes...

Before they went in I installed the brake booster and brake master cylinder. Here I'm using our wilwood 1" master cylinder kit with tandem reservoirs which pairs very well with most big brake kits.

Also installed the clutch master cylinder kit from V8Roadsters. Clutch pedal needed a bit of grinding to fit up with the clevis of the wilwood clutch master but after that everything mounted up.

Funny, when you get rid of the front of the car the alternator and power steering pump clearances really open up

2GRX7, Red_5 and bawareca like this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    1780 times

Hard to tell from the angle, is there any room to raise the steering rack?

Liked
    66 times

Quote Originally Posted by thepass View Post
    I am... but I probably shouldn't be
    yeah don't do that.. one day you'll add them up and wonder "wtf is wrong with me?" haha

Liked
    492 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Hard to tell from the angle, is there any room to raise the steering rack?
    nope
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2159 times

Forgive my laziness if it has already been posted, weight delta between the LFX/T56 and BPT/AZ-6?
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    492 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Forgive my laziness if it has already been posted, weight delta between the LFX/T56 and BPT/AZ-6?
    Dressed LFX is 330#, Aisin AY6 (not T56) is 130#

But, you asked this same question earlier in this thread and as I pointed out then:

Quote Originally Posted by ThePass
    Straight comparison that way is misleading. Aside from there being a lot of secondary parts that get changed which also affect net weight change, unless you know of a way to make 300whp on a naturally aspirated BP then it's apples to oranges.

Having weighed just about every component coming off/going on it is looking conservatively like the car will gain 50 lbs on the nose, 75 lbs in the center, and 25ish lbs on the tail compared to the turbo 1.6 config the car was in previously. With a 1.8L that net gain on the nose would be a bit less. I have corner weights for the car just before the tear-down began, and will do the same once it's back on the ground.
    Turbo or Rotrex BP is easily over 300 lbs dressed, plus intercooler weight far out on the nose. Brings that gap much closer. Most of the extra weight is in the transmission so that's thankfully low and more centered.
    bawareca likes this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    571 times

Quote Originally Posted by thepass View Post
    Dressed LFX is 330#, Aisin AY6 (not T56) is 130#

But, you asked this same question earlier in this thread and as I pointed out then:
    People will keep asking, but i am sure your car will be amazing execution and performance-wise.

Liked
    977 times

How does this engine compare to the Toyota 2GR? Both are 60• V6 making similar power.

Great looking work btw.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast