+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree332Likes

Thread: LFX (GM V6) in a Miata @ Goodwin Racing

Liked
    678 times

Cooking up a bunch of improvements, currently in crunch mode because I'd like to get the car out to Streets of Willow in just two weeks (!!). Will have updates for you guys when I get some time to sit down, but for now here are a few more great pics that surfaced from Superlap Battle, courtesy of Motolyric:

Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    678 times

Ok time for some updates.

2017 was a big success, and I'm really happy to have some solid baselines and results in the bag. Now, it's all about refinement and MORE in equal parts. In Decemeber with SLB fresh on my mind I did a fresh examination of the car and rulebook and identified anywhere I had room left on the table to maximize performance.

Big on my list is to really hone the chassis and suspension to the maximum possible, within the Limited class rules of course. This goal encompasses both the systems on the car as well as the track-side setup and tuning. A car with all the potential in the world won't do much without putting in the testing and tuning hours to get everything working in unison.

Enter 949 Racing. They need no introduction, these guys are good at a lot of things, but perhaps what they're the best at is setting up a car and extracting every bit out of it. That's not a small talent. Breaking new ground in an underdog chassis, I think a key to success is going to be in getting more out of the car than the competition, and there's a lot I can learn from these guys.

With 949 on board comes a change to the suspension to extract everything possible allowed by the rules; GTA Limited allows 3-way shock adjustment. Ergo, XIDA triples:

I quite like the look of the coaxial top mounts in the engine bay:

Doing sub-1:50's at Buttonwillow has me looking for more roll resistance, even on the street tires. With the downforce I'm seeing race tire cornering loads, and scraping the outer sides of the aero on the track. There's no avoiding I need to go stiffer. The XIDAs come with another jump up in spring rate from my previous setup.

The front sway bar also gets an update. It was one of the last things that's carried over in the build from pre-2017. At GWR we've been working with Karcepts, who make some really nice sway bars for the ND and a couple other chassis. I took some rough measurements and ran a few numbers and worked out that I just might be able to adapt some of the pieces of their ND sway bar to put together a 3 piece NASCAR style bar for this car. I ended up ordering a pair of their beautiful ND arms and their brackets/bushings for the S2000 because the measurements for those looked like they would work best, and a custom Speedway center tube:

Many times in and out figuring out dimensions, checking full range of motion, etc. Had to make a pair of adapter brackets for the sway bar brackets.. here everything is about 90% sorted but I needed to move the endlink bracket on the control arm forwards to shift the pivot slightly. No problem there because those lower arms need to go anyways...

In my factory lower arms I've been running an evaluation kit of press-in spherical bearings that replace all the bushings. Great concept, but unfortunately it turned out to not be the best execution in the product. Most people didn't know that in the final week before SLB I discovered a critical problem in the bearings in the rear lower arms so I ran SLB (and Chuckwalla after that) on factory rear lower arms with 100k mile factory rubber bushings - because it's what we had available at the last minute. Definitely not ideal. Time to get those arms out of the car and replace the front lowers as well to get the last of those bearings out and move on to something trouble-free.

V8R tubular pro series arms arrived. These arrived in bare steel so I could do the custom endlink mount on the fronts:

Then they went off to powdercoating to get finished up. Far more robust bearings in these, strong, awesome:

Just about everything is installed and sorted out at this point, and I'd love to show some pics of everything installed buuuut can't really do that right now because this is the current state of affairs:

Yep, two weeks to go before first track testing of the year, still cranking away on things feverishly
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    553 times

Makes me tired just reading about it!

Hats off to your commitment to this project. As they say, the last 10% takes longer than the first 90% and most people never push through to the end.
    Olitho, bawareca and Schmoe Money like this.

Liked
    678 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    Makes me tired just reading about it!

Hats off to your commitment to this project. As they say, the last 10% takes longer than the first 90% and most people never push through to the end.
    There is no end

(And thanks!)
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    553 times

I constantly get asked when I am going to be "done" with a car build. My reply is "when I sell it" LOL

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2592 times

I constantly get asked when I am going to be "done" with a car build. My reply is "when I sell it" LOL
    lol. That should be in your sig panel.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    91 times

At some point it ain't a Miata no more! Reminds me of avoiding the taxes in a major home re-do. No sir, it's not new - see that stud over there in the corner? That's original! This is a re-model!
    Olitho and thepass like this.

Liked
    678 times

Last weekend, with two weeks to go before the first track testing of this season, I was debating whether I should swap in transmission #2. From my post back in January, when trans #2 arrived I was able to confirm that the shifter rod was supposed to pivot - and that the pivot on trans #1 in the car was seized. That's been the cause of my clunky/stiff shifter feel, which is one of two transmission issues I've been dealing with. Issue #2 has been with clutch disengagement, and this one everyone has noticed because you can hear the gear grinding in my videos. Having checked out everything outside of the transmission, we feel confident the issue must be in the relationship between the throwout bearing and the clutch. Can't know for sure without getting in there. January was stuffed full with getting all of the updates/changes in the suspension and brakes on the car because so I can start out early season testing with all of that in place, so this is the earliest I've had a chance to turn attention to the transmission.

I already had measurements for the transmission side of things from trans #2 sitting on the bench. I even bought an MV5 (Camaro version of the transmission) to take the same measurements and confirm first-hand there weren't any differences between the two variants (I'm using the Cadillac MV7):

To get the full picture, we also needed to measure the clutch and flywheel. Based on the nature of the clutch disengagement problems, we expected that when we got in there we would find the throwout bearing is too far from the clutch fingers, and that would be an easy fix - you just shim the slave/TOB assembly to the correct position. On Sunday I dropped the engine/subframe/trans:

I expected I'd pull a long day and have everything back in the car by night with the TOB shimmed to the correct location. With everything out, I measured the clutch and flywheel height, and that threw a wrench in the plans. The TOB wasn't too far from the clutch, it was too close, and by a massive amount. With the trans bolted to the engine and everything at rest, the TOB would already be compressing the clutch fingers by 0.200" (and the fingers only have an intended range of motion of about 0.400"). So the problem is the opposite from expected; I'm over-stroking the clutch.

Left everything on the ground and called SPEC Monday morning. Based on their notes, the stack height from flywheel/crankshaft surface to clutch fingers for their clutch/flywheel assembly should be 3.800" +/- .005". Mine is 4.1"

With the window of time to get everything back together quickly shrinking (The car still needs to visit the alignment shop and the dyno prior to the track) I overnighted the clutch and flywheel back to SPEC. They're working on it now, no word yet but it would appear they manufactured the flywheel with the wrong thickness.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    0 times

The good news is that you should save some weight on that flywheel!
    Such an amaizing build once again, can't wait to see the results on track!

Ben

Liked
    678 times

Corrected items arrived back from SPEC yesterday. They say it was a machining error inside the pressure plate that affected the pivot. As soon as it arrived I measured things to verify, finger height from crank surface is now 3.85x" which leaves the TOB about 0.030" of a gap from full compression. We're in the ballpark now.

Reattached engine and trans last night. Should have the engine back in the car today, at which point I'll be back on-track where I was a week ago, but now with one week to do two weeks of stuff. Still holding my breath, I won't declare the transmission issues fixed until I've actually driven it on the track, but if they are then it was all worth it.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    678 times

Drivetrain is back in the car as of today, filled with fluids, test fired, bled, etc. So far I can say for the first time that the shifter feels great! Return to center in neutral feels natural and all of the "clunky stickiness" I had before is gone now. The shift rod pivot was definitely the problem there. Fingers crossed that the clutch engagement issues are equally fixed!

Didn't take any pics today but SuperStreet just released their coverage of Superlap Battle (link here), so here's a shot from them of the engine bay, which is where I've been spending my evenings lately:

JJ1 likes this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    0 times

Hi
    Last edited by mgamma500; 03-18-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: was answered later in the thread
    Life is short, so drive fast, live fast and die chasing your dreams!

Liked
    0 times

Hey Ryan, Google has unlimited free storage of photos.

Mark

Liked
    0 times

Sweetness man, way to go! This is all the proof I need to continue my V-6 build.

Mark

Liked
    678 times

Wow suddenly a month's gone by!

We left off with heading out for the first test day of the year at Streets of Willow CCW. This was a Roadster Cup event so the plan was to have equal parts fun hanging out with friends in that series and doing demo laps in their run group and also to work on initial setup and testing of the changes made during the winter.

On the testing side, I did one shake-down session Saturday afternoon. The car felt stronger than ever on the E85. However, it was showing some issues in the chassis and handling; brakes were touchy and quick to lock up, the car wouldn't rotate the way I wanted, and it was skipping over bumps (particularly problematic on such a bumpy track). This resulted in quickly flat spotting the set of tires I was on, and here is where my first BIG "thank you" comes along because Saturday night I left the racetrack and drove to Northridge where Moti met me and generously loaned me the wheels and tires right off Creampuff so I could have something to run the car on on Sunday.

Sunday was more of the same struggles. I had to drive very patiently, give myself extra braking distance, reduce corner entry speed until the car would be willing to turn, etc. Tip-toeing around these issues resulted in a best time of 1:19.488, an exact match to the thousandth with the standard Miata lap record.

Hard to be unhappy with matching the Miata record, but I left the event feeling like I have some unfinished business with this track knowing the car wasn't right. I didn't even post an update here because I put the car on the rack and immediately started crawling around on it to figure out what was wrong. My second big "thank you" goes to 949Racing/Supermiata who provided a ton of input to help pinpoint the issues and then work through them.

We uncovered several surprises. The largest one was that the new V8R tubular front lower control arms interfered significantly with the downpipes during suspension compression. Easy to see why the car was skipping over bumps and the shocks couldn't do their job - the suspension was going effectively solid. Not the fault of the arms, obviously I'm the one who put downpipes in the wheel wells, and I had factory arms when I made them. One item or the other had to be altered, and for several reasons I decided it was the arms that had to be reworked. The arms were cut, reshaped, reinforced with extra gusseting, and then capped. With the revisions, the suspension could finally do its thing:

Along with the major interference of the front lower arms, once that item was sorted I launched into a week of examining the suspension and wheel/tire travel. Even though my previous shocks had the same total stroke as these, the XIDAs use more of that stoke for bump travel. As a result, I found several other areas that had more minor interference issues at close to full compression, and we dealt with each item as I found it until suspension range of motion was maximized.

Finally, I've been chasing a pad knockback issue caused by significant flexing in the front uprights. Stoptech has been superb in their ongoing support, and to establish whether a floating rotor can solve this issue I've switched to Stoptech's 11" floating rotors in front.

With things sorted out much better at this point, I went to West End to get re-aligned and properly corner balanced. They got the cross weights exact to the pound.

The Streets of Willow test was invaluable in that it uncovered some big issues to address, but because the suspension wasn’t working right there was zero progress on learning and setting up the new pieces in the system. The second test at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway would be the first opportunity for this.

This turned out to be an excellent two days out in the desert. I had a chance to begin tweaking shock settings, the brakes were rock solid with the knockback gone, and I got a ton of laps in. Very refreshing after the last test to have the car feeling right now.

My best from December at this track was a 1:51.4. Returning this time on test tires I wasn’t expecting to be much faster, just focus on setup. However, to my pleasant surprise I set a new best of 1:49.777. I was really stoked to see a sub-1:50 on the AIM at the time, but it was only later when I started looking around at other lap times that I realized there was more significance to it. This is a new track record for a modified production car!

Olitho, craZee, 2GRX7 and 5 others like this.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    553 times

Got to see this car in person for the first time at Chuckwalla. One word only, IMPRESSIVE
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    678 times

Got to see this car in person for the first time at Chuckwalla. One word only, IMPRESSIVE
    Why thank you!

With the car running well at Chuckwalla, I've entered GTA's ProAm Round 1 at Buttonwillow coming up this Saturday. Made a couple little tweaks and repairs on the car this past weekend and tires are on the way. Limited class overall looks like a fun group, time to party:

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    1 times

Fantastic build thread!!! Update on the clutch situation? I’m starting my lfx swap for my autocross car and am trying to decide what to do for a clutch setup. Shandelle actually suggested I use the stock flywheel and clutch setup. I’d certainly like to eliminate the rotation mass, but this journey is one of getting back to actually having fun racing, instead of constantly chasing problems.
    Schmoe Money likes this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

That is an impressive car. I can't believe that CVR time.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    678 times

Late update, as soon as I got back from Buttonwillow I jumped into a pile of work with product development and am still going at it.

The day went exactly how you want every race to go: used setup notes from previous times here to best-guess the morning setup and that got it 90% there right out of the gate. Minor adjustments in a few areas after first session and the car was strong. Increased the gap from the rest of the field through the day and finished 5 seconds up from 2nd place. New PB of 1:47.5 (1 sec improvement on my time from SLB).

Forget the long write-up here are some tasty pics and vid from the weekend!

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast