+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By SteveLevin
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob

Thread: 1998 Suburban 2500 with 454

Liked
    204 times

Default 1998 Suburban 2500 with 454

One of my friends is trying to sell his 1998 Suburban 2500 with a 454 and I told him that I would post it on here because this seems like a good tow vehicle. The car is in extremely good shape for it's age. It has almost 150,000 miles but many of the key components (transmission, transfer case, torque converter, water pump, air conditioning compressor, radiator, etc.) have been replaced by Chevrolet and he tells me that they have a lifetime GM warrantee. This is a one owner vehicle and all maintenance was performed by a local Chevy dealer.

I have no financial interest in this vehicle and I have limited knowledge of it, but I know the owner is a very good guy and has been a very passionate owner. Because these are good tow vehicles I thought people on TrackHQ may be interested. Asking price is 10,900 OBO. Please send all questions to Clayton at 714-580-8784.

Liked
    2305 times

That's about as nice as you'll find for its age. 2500 and 4x4 are a plus, too. GLWS.

Liked
    67 times

Seems like a gem! GLWS.

Liked
    141 times

any idea how thirsty?

Liked
    204 times

I’m not sure. I would think it would be in the 10 to 12 mpg range. I have a 2012 2500 Suburban (which has a different engine than this one) and I get around 10 to 12 in average driving and get around 8 when I tow my enclosed trailer....but you can give Clayton a call and he can give you the specifics.

Liked
    2305 times

It's no Nissan Quest, but it would make a fine tow vehicle.

Liked
    141 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    It's no Nissan Quest, but it would make a fine tow vehicle.
    yeah the brakes might actual work too...

Liked
    204 times

Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    yeah the brakes might actual work too...
    I previously had a 1500 Suburban as a tow vehicle before upgrading to my 2500 Suburban ant the two biggest difference were the stiffer suspension handled the load much better. When the 1500 hit a heave in the road it was like riding a bucking Branco...this issue is a thing of the past with the 2500. The second difference is the brakes. Coming down the cajon pass in the 1500 never inspired much confidence, but the 2500 does it with no problems.

Charley

Liked
    585 times

Mileage in bigger vehicles is always super-sensitive to driving style and load. Especially now that my wife does most of the driving (and trust me, it's a good thing my issues are with the liver and not the heart!), I see every bit of a 2mpg difference between my driving style (which has been equated to one's grandmother driving a Prius) and hers (she tends to be more typical in acceleration and in carrying more speed closer to intersections, etc.). I imagine with the big block instead of the 5.3 the difference could be even more marked.

so, the TL;DR is: it all depends Just drive forth and be happy. No one ever lay on their deathbed and said "God, I wish I'd saved 40 gallons of gas last year."

Except maybe my mother will some day. Which is unfortunate because she should be thinking "God, I really wish I'd gotten that cataract surgery so I didn't spend so much time driving on the sidewalks"

Steve
    ucfbrett, bawareca and CharleyH like this.

Liked
    1583 times

I had one. It got 9mpg towing but I got lead foot disease. It is the best tow truck with gas. It they made a diesel I would buy it now. They drive small unlike a full size diesel PU and park easy.
    CharleyH likes this.

+ Reply to Thread