The gentleman that owns the car came with the idea for a fun street / autox / track build, my idea was to build it with lower door bars to keep it streetable, we don't have to gut the doors but the chassis will be MUCH stiffer if we would stitch it along the rockers, some at the door jambs and the windshield frame.
He liked the idea and gave us the Green light for it and a few days later the car looked like this -
We also discussed seats and harnesses and ended up building mounts for a couple of Brides and supplying him with a couple of nice sets of Schroth Hybrid 6 point harnesses (not pictured) -
With our project coming to an end, I was getting curious as to what other plans are in store for the build, with the one thing I was most curious about being the engine.
No one goes through building a full cage is going to keep the engine in its earth shattering 35 HP bone stock.
The owner said that there's someone that specializes in building vintage race engine out of these and it sounded like a great way to waste a lot of $$ on something that still wouldn't make any power.
...And so we started talking because it was definitely worth exploring alternative options at that point.
Seeing that we have a Lotus 7 replica in the shop with a Yamaha R1 engine in it, I brought up the option of swapping to a modern bike engine instead of trying to do anything with OEM lump.
Shortly after, this happened -
While our original measurements that we took with the R1 engine showed that will fit in the nose of the car, I had this funny idea of turning it into a mid-engine RWD monstrosity and after going back and forth about it for a few more days we agreed that this was a terrible idea.
So terrible in fact, that we decided to do it