+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Introducing Morpheus

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1932 times

You sure sound like that.
    Not even the world's best plastic surgeon could've erased the smile off of my face this weekend, including on the way home.
    The fact that I did decently well helped, and the fact that I have a spare engine sitting on the shelf at the shop probably didn't hurt either

Liked
    2220 times

It is time for an LS3....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    575 times

Engines are consumables. CONSUME!
    Olitho, 2GRX7, bawareca and 1 others like this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    1932 times

Liked
    23 times

"I'm trying to free your mind, Moti. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it" - Morpheus
    2GRX7 and Blackbird like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2466 times

The sense of drama is strong in this one
    bawareca likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1932 times

The prancing horse is out of the bag, Morpheus is getting a Ferrari 360 Modena V8 swap.
    The engine will be mated to a Samsonas 6 speed sequential transmission.
    Should be fun!

Liked
    13 times

wowza!
    10AE Miata

Liked
    670 times

This is going to be a good one. I guess you will be running standalone engine management?

Liked
    1932 times

You guessed correctly.

Last edited by Blackbird; 05-29-2017 at 07:45 AM.
    2GRX7 and thepass like this.

Liked
    163 times

This is going to be GREAT!! I can't wait to hear and see this
    Blackbird likes this.

Liked
    1932 times

Same here

Liked
    714 times

Whatever this engine / install costs, Blackbird will surely get the value and beyond back in publicity. I can't wait to see and hear the finished car.
    Olitho likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1932 times

This has been a long time in the making.
    Started researching swap engine options back in October, almost immediately after the very first time I drove the car @ MRLS.
    I said it before in this thread, my favorite engines are small displacement angry V8s.
    I know it sounds silly, but ever since I was a kid I loved Ferraris, had 288GTO and F40 posters on the wall, it's kind of my go-to dream car marque for like the last 35 years... so when I started looking at the options I did some snooping around on eBay and realized that while I don't have the budget to buy myself a Ferrari, I could swing a Ferrari engine.

Wheels started rolling, more research about Ferrari and Maserati engines went on... Maserati engines are much cheaper but also seriously downgraded.
    I would've loved to do a Hartley / Synergy type race engine, but $50K and short life expectancy didn't sound like a great idea, and long story short, I figured out the 360 Modena engine fits the bill.
    It's exactly the style of engine that I like - flat plane crank 3.6L 40 valve V8 w/ 8700 RPM redline is small and angry.
    The ferocious soundtrack of the 360 Modena is a huge bonus - I WILL NEVER GET TIRED OF THIS SOUND!

Did some research about electronics and trans options, figured out what can be used and how and by the time December rolled around I pulled the trigger and bought the engine.
    Yes, I have the engine for almost 6 months now. I know.

Then I spent a few months working out some details in the background like the trans and by the time I was ready to announce what engine is getting swapped into Morpheus and get things going, up came the Level 5 Motorsport auction.

For those who don't know anything about it, Level 5 was a big time race team that had to liquidate all of the assets due to legal trouble the owner got himself into, but the important bit was that Level 5 was running Ferraris including a couple of 430s and they had a couple of spare 430 engines that went up for sale in the auction.

The 430 is everything that 360 is, just more and better and with very little weight penalty, only 8-9 Lbs difference.
    Problem is they are typically selling in high $20's - low $30's zone which is way out of reach for me but I had hopes for the auction, so I lined up some funds and waited to the auction date which was over a month later (it was 2 or 3 weeks ago).
    The day of the auction had all the high pulse and heavy breathing I could come up with short of getting heart attack, haha!
    I ended up being the second highest bidder on the engine I wanted, someone wanted it more and had more money to play with
    So back to plan #1 we went and all I needed was a date that was workable in terms of doing a meet at the shop with some of my friends in the biz, that ended up being a couple days ago and here we are.

Before the meet we wanted to get Creampuff off the lift and ready to rock so I spent some quality time on it over the last few days and by the time Friday afternoon rolled around the shop was all organized, clean and ready for our Operation Red Pill meet at the shop -

Saturday noon rolled around and people were arriving, had some beer, catching up with friends, vendors and showing some projects around the shop like the N1000RR and the NSU EV we're building for customers.
    Time to reveal the big secret!

We had a shop with many excited car guys and smiles all around when the curtain was lifted and then the wheels started rolling.
    It's not every day that you get to discuss a fun project like this one with 3 of your favorite car geeks, and I enjoyed every moment of the discussion that we had between Dave Coleman, Jay Kavanagh, Mike Kojima and yours truly -

It was fun and the people in the house got exactly what this project is about.
    Now you all know what's going on, and I'll update every now and again!

Liked
    2280 times

I'm sorry I was out of town and missed this. Brilliant project. Just ****ing brilliant.

Liked
    1932 times

Yeah, I was bummed you (and a couple other guys) couldn't make it, but at the end of the day I wanted to get that done and the next Saturday I had open was only a month later so...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3