http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1775 times

Matched driver side -

Liked
    1775 times

Default Drag Reduction System

The fun and games continue (do they ever stop?)!

One step closer to the completion of the DRS uprights, and I'm getting all excited to have a taste of active aero, even if at first it's a simple 2 position DTM-style DRS.. As you can tell, it might not stay that way
    Test assembly went smoothly and now everything comes apart for finishing purposes before it gets put together and on the car.

The setup was CFD tested in many settings and versions, and at the end of it we managed to drop nearly 60% of the drag the airfoil produces!
    This should be making a good bit of difference, my rough stop-watch calculation came to ~24 seconds or so that the DRS can be activated around BRP (~2 min lap).

One of the nice things about the design in that the entire system is modular and can be adapted to many vehicles.

Liked
    780 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    But seriously, William almost rolled his car there one day because someone decided to brake right there to let him by..
    Braking to let anyone by is already a terrible idea, but in a place that your suspension is loaded and at those speeds, this could turn hairy pretty quick.
    Certainly 'Vette guys should be able relate.

thalak3le7.jpg

Liked
    2140 times

One of the nice things about the design in that the entire system is modular and can be adapted to many vehicles.
    As we would expect from a good businessman.

Liked
    1775 times

While we're on the subject of ending 2016 with a bang, I bought a new engine for Morpheus.
    Sorry, I won't tell you what it is until I see it with my own eyes, arriving damage free and as good as I imagine it will be.
    But if all works as well as it should, this is going to be pretty epic.

Liked
    1950 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    But if all works as well as it should, this is going to be pretty epic.
    Twin turbo LS7?
    bawareca and Blackbird like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1775 times

Dammit Oli, you ruined the surprise!

Liked
    1775 times

Default Drs!

First time we plug the actuators to power (touching the cables to the battery).
    Still need to wire the relays and push button on the steering wheel but our DRS is operational!

Liked
    1775 times

With a serious power upgrade coming up I was looking for a serious brake upgrade, and StopTech's new Miata BBK is pretty much perfect for the job.

And if that wasn't going to be enough, Morpheus' calipers received a one-off Stainless Steel piston noses upgrade, making it literally the only STR42 caliper ever built to that spec... our own Morpheus caliper part number, gotta love it!!!

If you like seeing what's going on in the background Speed Academy has recently posted a video of a tour in StopTech's facility that does a great job showing that.
    I had the pleasure of getting the same tour in the facility and chatting with the fine gentlemen in the video about the fascinating stuff that goes into their brakes.
    Enjoy - https://www.facebook.com/gofastwithc...95004364063978

On a less serious note, I'm debating what to label the DRS button on the steering wheel with -

Liked
    570 times

But you promised to inform us about the power upgrade. Please keep your promises

Liked
    1775 times

No one is informed about that one yet because we're working on some background stuff.
    I'll keep my promise when the time comes

Liked
    1775 times

And the winner is:
    Go to plaid!
    By an overwhelming margin, in both popular and electoral vote, taxes released, birth certs shown!
    <drops label maker, walks off stage>

Also finally got around to building the 2 piece long tail trunk lid I've been meaning to build from day 1..
    The tape is only there until the hinges arrive.
    The rear section is fixed to the body and the front section is getting hinged backwards to allow access for shock adjustments -

Liked
    570 times

Nice, but why do you need so sophisticated aero if you dont have an engine
    Schmoe Money likes this.

Liked
    1775 times

That's fixable

Liked
    1775 times

Got a chance to roll Morpehus out and take a better pic of the new long tail -

Also finished most of the work on one of our customer's bad a** NA (minus the long tail trunk which will be going on soon).
    This car has a Ford 347 stroker in it and makes a glorious rumble as it thunders away with 400+ HP to the wheels -

Of course we had to take this video

youtu.be/6Ikk1mnci8Y

Liked
    1775 times

Finished the lower section of the long tail and headed out to WSIR on Thursday -

We had both cars running at the JDRF fundraiser today at the big track, took a bunch of folks for fun rides, and finally had a chance to try out the DRS setup.
    And boy was it working like a champ!
    In Morpheus, the activation was worth a good 5-6 MPH going down the straight, and the transitions on-off felt fantastic.
    Could really tell from the driver's seat how the wing was coming back on heading into braking zones and when it was in the low drag position shifting point moved hundreds of feet earlier.
    Felt like having the cake and eating it too!

Also got to drive a McLaren 650S Can-Am for a session, taking it very easy with the owner in the right seat.
    That driver seat is not a bad place to be.
    Being able to chase down Z06 on power flying down the straight was an odd and unfamiliar feeling

Driving with the DRS was a very interesting experience.
    When I was driving with the system I found myself trying to engage it whenever I felt that the reduction in downforce wouldn't cause any balance issues.
    The two longest DRS zones were the back stretch between turn 5 exit / 6 entry and turn 8, and obviously the main straight.
    I was being conservative by having the wing retract back to the high downforce position while in T8 because of the speed and learning curve, not wanting to find out that the little downforce the wing was still making isn't enough to keep up with the front... tail happiness in T8 is scoring pretty low on my list of things that I want to experience.

Later when I was gaining more confidence and got a bit more used to the feel and usage, I also found myself activating it for the short stretches between T1 exit and T2 as well as T2 exit and T3.
    Found out the button was hard to work in some steering angles so I might change that to a slightly different position or even a different style switch altogether, maybe a paddle behind the steering wheel.
    One of the cool things about driving Morpheus without the windshield and with the active wing is that you can literally hear the changes in the air flow over the wing and bodywork.
    Another awesome feature is when the wing returned to the high downforce position going into T1 braking zone, you can tell all of a sudden that there's just more grip there...

I haven't been to WSIR since the Miata challenge ran there in 2013 and it took a bit of getting used to and remembering some of the ins and outs of the track.
    Definitely didn't get fully comfortable with it, I know I could've carried more speed just about everywhere other than T2 where the grip on Morpheus is so high that I can simply keep it floored and steer.
    Between my mediocre confidence levels, tires with many heat cycles (205 RR) and high winds the best I managed was a mid-36.
    My gut feeling is that with fresh tires, decent weather conditions and some more seat time around WSIR to rewire my brain into letting me take T1 and T9 much faster than I did, a 1:33 is in the cards, maybe even a 1:32.

I also noticed while driving the V8 car that I wasn't fighting the steering as much despite the fact that it's running almost the same amount of downforce AND bigger tires.
    The V8 car has a manual rack while mine is depowered, so I might try to find a manual NB rack and give it a shot.

Liked
    1775 times

I always thought highly of Mike Kojima and MotoIQ, so you can imagine how excited I was when Mike approached me about doing an article about Morpheus

Click me - The Blackbird Fabworx Morpheus Miata!

Liked
    1775 times

GTA round 2 is over and the work that has been done on Morpheus showed some good progress.
    We scaled the car for the first time and found out that the cross weights were a mile off, as in double digits mile off. Yikes.
    Between that, a bump stop change, rake change and the DRS active, I had a feeling we can cure some of the oddities that I encountered while driving it.

Come race day I bought a set of RR's that popped up for sale from a local racer that bought them and ended up going with Hoosiers.
    Those are not as fast as the Hoosier FA slicks but I basically just needed them for this event and next event and my other set was already heat cycled out.

Then came a disaster of a first session.
    I made a mistake and didn't realize I was in one run group and not the other, and learned about my blunder with the session already in progress.
    Strapped in as quickly as I could, but got only one lap before checkered and it was nowhere near my usual speed because I was just scrubbing the first layer on the tires, a 2:06.

This got me placed into a slower run group because it's all done by lap times and 2:06 is slow
    Figured out I'll at least be at the front of the grid and get a couple of clean laps before I catch slower traffic...
    ....Aaaaand that plan did not work at all because I had a flat on the out lap.
    One of the brand new Toyos found something sharp enough to put a hole in it and I had a scary moment trying to not fly off track while doing 90+ into a right hander with a flat LF tire.
    Steering was not there, and another session trashed.

Session 3 came along and I was still in the slow group without a single hot lap under my belt.
    Kept to the game plan and went out in full attack mode, ran a 2:02 on the very first lap before I caught traffic, this is the lap that you see the rear view camera in the video posted underneath.
    Rest of the session I used just to get additional seat time to dial myself in whenever I got a break from traffic.

Fortunately, the 2:02 was quick enough to move to the faster group and that's exactly what I needed since Morpheus doesn't work in traffic.
    Traffic kills momentum and that's all Morpheus has.
    One more session to set a good time, got on grid early w/ light fuel load.
    The one thing I did know will hurt my performance was that I put the older heat cycled tire in the most loaded corner at BRP 13CW which is the LF tire (where I had the flat)... any other day I would've swapped tires around and put it at the RR corner instead, but I tweaked my back a few days ago and was already hurting pretty good despite taking a couple of Advils.
    I opted to save my back from further work and take the performance hit, which was VERY evident.

Got out and finally had a go at it.
    Managed to set a 1:59.91 which was an okay lap at best, but I cooked the LF tire in the process and had to take a cool down lap to try and bring it back so I can have another go at it.
    The session was getting close to the end I basically had one more chance at getting that golden lap, and the result is the lap that you see in the forward facing video.
    It was far from perfect.
    In fact, I'm kind of embarrassed with my driving and somewhat surprised this lap ended up being my new PB with a 1:59.385 .
    It's really not all that good, there are a bunch of apexes that I missed (mostly because I was struggling with the LF tire) and I have yet to come to terms with how f****ng amazing the Stoptechs are so I just brake too early everywhere.
    But it is a new PB nevertheless and a nice way to end a day that started very rough.
    There was a well earned beer at the end

To put it in perspective, my previous 1:59.6 PB was set with Creampuff when it was dialed in to perfection, my driving on point, on the much stickier Hoosier slicks, in cooler weather, during unicorn mating season.
    The lap in Morpheus had none of the above, and it was still faster.

Hope you enjoy the vid, it's uploaded in full 1080 HD -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2