+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Introducing Morpheus

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1949 times

Default Morpheus

Still have to sit down and put my thoughts in writing, but what an incredible journey it was to get to this year's Miatas @ MRLS event!
    I got to unveil Morpheus, something I have been waiting to do for a long time.

The build has been kept under tight wraps for a long time for a number of reasons, the most unique feature shown in the pics - the ability to convert Morpheus from a coupe into a speedster, which to my knowledge this has never been done before.
    There's so much more in store for this car and over the next few days I'll make an effort to put it all together and give everyone a better look at this build, cheers!

Morpheus as a coupe -

The conversion takes about 1.5-2 minutes total -

Morpheus in its 2 seater speedster configuration.
    Single seater config coming up soon

Last edited by Blackbird; 12-06-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Liked
    179 times

Very cool! It will be interesting to see if it is faster as a coupe or a speedster.

Charley

Liked
    222 times

Neat build. Especially challenging to do both well (considering broomstick allowances for topless plus tight cage fit for hardtop)

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    Very cool! It will be interesting to see if it is faster as a coupe or a speedster.

Charley
    I'm intrigued too. Drag vs. weight. I'm assuming the speedster is around ~35lbs lighter but the coupe should have cleaner flow back to the wing?

Moti - Are you planning on doing back-to-back testing in the future that you can share here?

Top speed differences, e.g @ ACS.
    Aero setup differences, i.e. AOA differences or other changes to setup to achieve same balance/performance.

Liked
    1949 times

Thanks guys

Planning on doing back to back testing, I am just as curious (if not more) as everyone else which config is faster, and this probably the first time that there's a car that this can be tested back to back in on an identical platform.
    This was the all Miatas event at Laguna Seca which I am one of the supporting vendors on, so it was more of a marketing event used to go out and give fun rides and such... This was the first time the car has hit the track too so it's not even remotely tuned yet suspension wise.
    All I did this weekend was to go out and have fun driving, didn't even bother bringing my AIM solo with me to what is a essentially a shakedown run.
    It was lots of fun nevertheless

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    361 times

Sweeeet! The first thing that comes to mind is 'The son of the shoemaker has no shoes'. Congrats on making this project come to fruition in spite of the customer projects that you have undertaken. Very impressive! I look forward to the followup posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Thanks guys

Planning on doing back to back testing, I am just as curious (if not more) as everyone else which config is faster, and this probably the first time that there's a car that this can be tested back to back in on an identical platform.
    This was the all Miatas event at Laguna Seca which I am one of the supporting vendors on, so it was more of a marketing event used to go out and give fun rides and such... This was the first time the car has hit the track too so it's not even remotely tuned yet suspension wise.
    All I did this weekend was to go out and have fun driving, didn't even bother bringing my AIM solo with me to what is a essentially a shakedown run.
    It was lots of fun nevertheless
    Blackbird likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    743 times

Now that is cool as hell. I can't wait for the testing.
    bawareca likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    671 times

Amazing overall project. I hope you have some power there.
    Good to see another fan of the suspended rear wing.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    1949 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    Sweeeet! The first thing that comes to mind is 'The son of the shoemaker has no shoes'. Congrats on making this project come to fruition in spite of the customer projects that you have undertaken. Very impressive! I look forward to the followup posts.
    Thanks, Mark

Other than some fun rides at the same Miatas @ MRLS event in 2015, I haven't been on track since end of 2014.. definitely felt the effects driving at Laguna, being super rusty, sloppy and slow.
    But all in all, you couldn't erase the grin off of my face all weekend long, the car was SO MUCH fun to drive!
    Stupid levels of grip, decent acceleration (for a Miata) with the drivetrain combo, the Penskes do such a nice job that even completely untuned they were so confidence inspiring..
    Really, right out of the box Morpheus was a total sweetheart.

I was happy to pull this off in time too.
    This was no an easy task, I had many customer cars with big projects coming in and going out in the time we got the car together, haven't taken a single day off since July, during the last 3-4 weeks almost every day was 12-14 hours long and in the last week every day was 16-19 hours long with the car finally being loaded on the trailer Friday night at 11, hour and a half of sleep and straight to Laguna.
    Crazy timeline.

Liked
    2290 times

Post a photo of the rear shock mounts. Those are one of my favorite things about the car.

Liked
    34 times

There is actually a GTL (SCCA) Miata that has been run both ways - tube frame car, I think it started life as an RX-7 or Datsun, currently with NC bodywork and rotary power.

If you want an extreme case of roadster VS hardtop watch the F Prod Runoffs race from Daytona. Both variations of Miata were in the field, speed and lap times were very close, especially considering the years of development the roadsters have versus the hardtop that was built for Daytona.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeSikDiN1Yw

GTLncHardtop.jpg
    GTLncOpen.jpg

Liked
    1949 times

Tube frame car is easy, doing it with stock bodywork and making it not only reversible but able to quickly convert from one to the other is a totally different ball game
    This was done in order to allow the car to run in my favorite config to have fun with (speedster) and also in classes that require the factory windshield frame in place, such as SuperMiata.

This surprised a lot of people, including Emilio that was standing right next to me when someone asked which classes I can run this with and I mentioned SuperMiata, and Emilio said something like "this will never be SPM legal" because the of the hacked windshield, and about 5 seconds later we were all standing in the garage as I pulled the windshield up and showed it to the guys, and Emilio said "ahhh, no problem at all, this can run SPM"

Liked
    1949 times

Another angle of the coupe <---> speedster conversion -

Enjoy!

Liked
    111 times

Very cool!!
    Less powah is better

Liked
    11 times

Very nice car. Saw it in action at BW on Saturday

Liked
    1949 times

Thanks!
    It was actually a pretty crappy day at the Red group, first 3 sessions were complete clusterf**k and a giant waste of time.
    Luckily the 4th session was a bit better, other than this WTF moment -

Who brakes at the fastest section of the track on line when you're coming to pass them with at least 15 MPH speed differential?
    And in Red group?!

Liked
    2228 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Who brakes at the fastest section of the track on line when you're coming to pass them with at least 15 MPH speed differential?
    And in Red group?!
    I'm sorry I did that. You were following too close....
    Blackbird likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1949 times

Lol...

Liked
    1949 times

But seriously, William almost rolled his car there one day because someone decided to brake right there to let him by..
    Braking to let anyone by is already a terrible idea, but in a place that your suspension is loaded and at those speeds, this could turn hairy pretty quick.

Liked
    1949 times

When I started designing Morpheus I wanted to deal with one of the things that bugged me about Creampuff, which was the fact that the flow on the top surface of the car had to deal with a lot of elevation changes.

One of the advantages that Morpheus has over Creampuff is that raising the front hoop to normal height allows for much smoother top fairings.
    And with said I took the long route and mapped the height of each point in the fairings that are / will be covering the opening of the tub, all in 3D for the smoothest bodywork possible.
    Not an easy thing to do since the front and rear bodywork all curve in 3 dimensions and so the fairings have to account for the curvature.

Here's a glimpse of what's coming -

Liked
    1949 times

More aero work on Morpheus

Working on a flat bottom, using CF / Nomex honeycomb panels for a good portion of the construction -

Built wheel stands to hold the car up without the lift arms in the way, makes life much easier when fabricating a flat bottom -

It was nice to have a clean car with nice fresh paint for a whole lot of... 3 weeks.
    And now, back to Frankenstein with mismatched fenders -

For the purpose of fabricating aero fenders -

A little bit of filler, sanding and some prep and this fender is ready for paint -

Rinse and repeat on the other side...

EDIT to add - my 2000th post on Track HQ!
    Last edited by Blackbird; 10-20-2016 at 08:53 PM.
    Red_5, jnathan68, bawareca and 2 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast