+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Very old bird gets updated aero

Liked
    72 times

It's been over a year since I last updated this thread. During that time I've been working on other parts of the project, started a small business, and come up with a basic plan for the under tray and diffuser.

The bodywork on the car is done and I've got almost everything in final sealer. Car was assembled for panel alignment and bodywork, then taken apart for paint. Because of the added pieces and custom painting there's a lot of hours involved in prepping everything. Here's some of the small pieces ready for paint.

During the past several years I've been designing and fabricating structural reinforcements and reproducing certain parts for 2nd gen F bodies that haven't been available for restorations. I was selling them to members on some of the Camaro, Firebird, and pro touring forums through PMs etc. and eventually formed a legal biz with an online store to sell through. Laboratory Fourteen is the company name and products are available at lab-14.com. Here's some of the components used in conjunction with G-Braces.

Last edited by NOT A TA; 03-02-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    2GRX7 and bawareca like this.

Liked
    72 times

During the past year I've been working with Dave at Pro-Touring F-Body who makes suspension packages and other components for the 2nd gen F body platform. Most of my Lab-14 products are designed to be compatible with his products and compliment each other. He offered to sponsor my car and provide me with a full PTFB suspension. So I sold all of my old Hotchkis and Global West stuff to a friend who is also a customer and wanted the suspension installed on his car along with all new steering components, solid body mount bushings, and frame connectors. The car was shipped to me and he wanted me to put a hundred or more miles on it to test everything before shipping it back. So I thought this presented a perfect opportunity to do some baseline aero testing since his car is the same body style and would now have the same ride height, rake, etc. as my car was before I took it apart for the rebuild. So I asked him if it would be OK for me to do some highway tuft testing which he was fine with. So I put yarn tufts on half the car and got a couple buds to "crew" and got a bunch of still shots as well as some 360 3D videos which gives me a good idea of how my car was which I'll compare to info when I test my car with all the aero changes. Using a projection TV I can blow up the pics and videos big enough to watch individual yarn tufts. For the guys who thought they got some ram air affect with a shaker scoop at highway speeds it's disappointing as I suspected it would be. The high pressure area at the base of the windshield doesn't go that far forward at speeds up to 70 MPH.

One of the videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KQA9BzpN50

Last edited by NOT A TA; 03-02-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    ucfbrett and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2186 times

So, no ram air with a shaker, but at least it's a low pressure area, or one that feeds the opening to the air cleaner, right?

Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    So, no ram air with a shaker, but at least it's a low pressure area, or one that feeds the opening to the air cleaner, right?
    Yes, that's what I observed at the speeds tested. The test mule had an operational shaker flap and when I hit the throttle to open it (at 65-70 MPH) tufts would be pulled into the opening. So ambient air benifit but if there is any increase in pressure pushing air into the scoop it's probably not enough to have a measurable effect on engine performance. When I get my car out on track (with a sealed air box fed by the shaker) I'll do some pressure testing with manometers.

Pic below is when throttle was opened.

Liked
    713 times

Love this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2186 times

This is probably the most extensive aero testing the second-generation Trans Am ever saw.

Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    This is probably the most extensive aero testing the second-generation Trans Am ever saw.
    My plans include a lot of testing once my car's back on track. Of course I'll do some preliminary testing on the streets and highways at lower speeds before taking the car to a track. I'd really like to get the car in a wind tunnel eventually to test various configurations for drag race, Land speed racing, and road track set ups and also compare it with a stock 70 TA.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4