• 3 Post By Ariusen26
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By Ariusen26

Thread: Aeromotions active wing project in a Z4M coupe

Liked
    4 times

Default Aeromotions active wing project in a Z4M coupe

Hey guys,

I wanted to share the biggest project ive done so far.
    If was a long 5 months project that was completed this last week and I was very happy with the results. Most of the stuff was in the blind, and there were many variables that could make this whole project fail since everything had to be spot on such as, the measurements, the fabrication, etc. However, I was very lucky to have the right people to help me out! Thanks a lot to my friend Thiago, who offered to develop the uprights for me, to aeromotions for giving some crucial tips on the development of the uprights and sponsoring me with the can bus unit, to APR for providing the base mount (amazing quality), to @[conceptautogroupla](contact:336854) for helping me with the electric part, and all the whatsapp group members who gave me good advices and opinions!

I have always wanted an aeromotions active wing in my car, as I was always a big fan of their wing and also due to the fact that the wing was an active aero. So I started to see what I had to do to make the aeromotions wing fit into the z4m trunk, since they didnt have a base mounts for our cars.
    First, I purchased the wing from a nissan GTR owner. Then, I measured the distance between both wing mounts, and I noticed that they were really close to the distance between APR's base mount, and decide to pull the trigger and buy one in the blind hoping that it would work.
    Once the APR base mounts arrived, it was time to make sure that both mounting points of aeromotions and APR would align.
    As you can see, I was right!
    [IMG]

Next, I was checking how much higher I wanted my wing to be as the uprights that came from Aeromotions for the GTR was 8" tall. We concluded that the uprights for the z4m had to be 11.5" tall to be right at the roof line.

After checking everything, I shipped everything to my friend who was then going to combine the bottom part of APR uprights and the top part of aeromotions uprights into one, and I gotta take my hats off to him, because every single measurements was unbelievably perfect!

After the development was done, I had to find a CNC shop to produce it to me, and luckily I found a company called www.parts-badger.com who gave me a really good pricing to produce only 1 set of uprights. Huge thanks to them because it was really hard to find a CNC shop to make me only 2 pieces. Their customer support was amazing and the quality was perfect! Everything measurement was perfect.
    this is the finished product

Next I had to have my shop make me a custom plates to hold the module in place.

And this is the final result!!!
    Also added the Varis lip together. I will be making a custom chassi mount splitter to balance the wing along with some custom canards.

on 8/4 I will be going to buttonwillow for an open test day.
    I will be doing some laptime comparison with the active wing on and off. I will be recording with my gopro.
    Hope you guys enjoy the video!!
    ucfbrett, bawareca and markn like this.

Liked
    2230 times

Nice looking car and great looking piece!

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Nice looking car and great looking piece!
    thank you! =)

Liked
    2230 times

Be sure to post the results of your test. I'm sure you'll be able to take Riverside "flat out."

Liked
    633 times

Be sure to post the results of your test. I'm sure you'll be able to take Riverside "flat out."
    With miata power, possibly
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    81 times

Welcome to the forum, nice project. How did you decide you wanted it at the roof line height?

Liked
    4 times

Yes, will post the results next week!
    Riverside flat out might be possible....lets see =p

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
    Welcome to the forum, nice project. How did you decide you wanted it at the roof line height?
    Thank you!!
    After doing some research and also asking many motorsport shops, who races their car, i learned that with a 2D wing, you want the cleanest air possible, which would be at the roof line height or higher.
    However if i went with a 3D wing, I will do lower than the roof line.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    81 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ariusen26 View Post
    Thank you!!
    After doing some research and also asking many motorsport shops, who races their car, i learned that with a 2D wing, you want the cleanest air possible, which would be at the roof line height or higher.
    However if i went with a 3D wing, I will do lower than the roof line.
    That's a good general rule of thumb. I asked thinking maybe, just maybe , someone had done some CFD work (BMW perhaps?) on the Z4 and recommended a certain fore/aft position and height.

Liked
    375 times

That looks nice.

One thing: your airflow at roof height is not going to be all that different than it would have been with the shorter uprights. It will not be parallel to the ground. In setting the angle of attack for your wing, you should either make some measurements by suspending wool tufts from wires or assume that the airflow is parallel to the angle of the rear window.

+ Reply to Thread