+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Dorima

Thread: 2017 Formula 1 Front Wing CAD Model

Liked
    7 times

Default 2017 Formula 1 Front Wing CAD Model

Greetings fellow TrackHQers,

Rare forum poster, long time lurker here.I wanted to share a formula 1 front wing I modeled in CAD with you guys.

Some background:
    I poured through the 2017 FIA technical regulations to find the dimensional limits of the front wing. I then looked through a myriad of formula 1 pictures to as best estimate the dimensions and create what you see below.
    It took about a month in July to complete the model to something that looks adequate, then another month to run the CFD multiple times to correct for mistakes, then probably another 3 weeks to build the courage to share with everyone.
    I hope to have the completed car modeled eventually, but I can't say when.

Before I share, I just wanted to mention that this is not in anyway a 100% accurate model nor is the simulation a 100% reflection of fluid flow in real life. Anyway, without rambling further here are some pictures:

4-view.png
    endplate.png
    flowlines-wing-elements.png
    y250-vortex.png

I've posted more pictures on my fb page, feel free to like:
    www.facebook.com/atorreseng

Here is a video of the wing itself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FANnwQu6uL8

Thanks for looking everyone.
    [URL="facebook.com/atorreseng"]at_Engineering/URL]

Liked
    179 times

Very cool! I'm into this.

Did you model it after a particular car? Mercedes seems close. I can't quite place it exactly, though these have gone many revisions over the season.

What was the biggest surprise and biggest learning from this?

Liked
    7 times

Haha yea, there is a heavy Mercedes influence when creating this. They appeared to be the most complicated and figured if I can replicate it, then I can do the others.

The biggest surprise to me was seeing the flow coming off the trailing edge of the endplate. It curls under and hugs the inside of the wheel. I suspect this is where teams capture the air flow to their brake ducts depending on their design.

Liked
    179 times

That's interesting. I didn't realize the inner winglets curved the air that much back into the rotors.

Is it accurate to say that the lower plane is responsible for the bulk of the front down force, and the smaller winglets above and endplate are responsible for cooling and making the car more slippery?

Have you looked at the influence of the nose and suspension arms on this model? Any plans to look at the tunnels directly aft of this air flow too?

This is cool stuff you're doing.

Liked
    7 times

I can't speak for the accuracy for all F1 wings, but based on the the model and simulation results, the majority of the the pressure differential between top and bottom surfaces appears to be on the 3rd element. From what I understand about the winglets (the dual element airfoil above the cascade tunnel correct?), is that they help divert air around the tire.

What do you mean by slippery??

I haven't modeled the suspension arms yet but I do know from seeing another simulation that the suspension arms actually generate lift from the upwash of the front wing. I do believe this helps "straighten" the air that enters the sidepods.

I could capture more screengrabs when I get the chance.

And thanks, I really appreciate.

+ Reply to Thread