+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: buy a MINI JCW?

  1. #21
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,515
    Liked
    2184 times

    Default

    GTI is more reliable (I said "more reliable" NOT "reliable") and more practical. Both Wrong wheel drive.

    Btw. Fiesta is rated least reliable sub compact by CR
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    113
    Liked
    14 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    Keep the FRS, buy a used 4 door Honda/Toyota as your daily.

    -> Owns FRS and Fiesta ST
    Watched your video at YouTube. Great driving! I showed it to some of my friends.
    How do you like your fiesta st@bw 13 by far?how does it feel compared to FRS ?which is faster using same tire and size at bw(stock to stock)
    Last edited by jqsti2015; 03-24-2017 at 01:25 AM.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

  3. #23
    Member JulioG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    99
    Liked
    42 times

    Default

    Stock for stock, the Fiesta is faster over 1 lap. After that, it falls on its face. It needs oil cooler, radiator and BBK to survive 20 minute sessions, even in sub 70F weather. Without an oil cooler, I cannot complete a full hot lap at Buttonwillow. Coolant will go over 250F half way through the lap.

    The FRS needs none of that (though oil cooler is highly recommended in hot weather, and a BBK pays for itself after a while), and is more efficient on tires. It's also a far better track platform to invest on. And unlike the S2000, you can easily fit a full set of tires/wheels and tools in it.

    On the Fiesta, rear camber is not adjustable, even with coil-overs. Rear suspension is not independent. You also cannot disable torque vectoring even if you turn electronics "off". Without a BBK, this ruins the front inside rotor in 1 day. A torsen-like LSD like the Quaife only helps so much.

    The wheel selection on the Fiesta is laughable due to its bolt pattern. It also can't fit anything bigger than 225 wide tires without rubbing. FRS can accommodate far wider wheels & tires without effort.

    Both cars are fun. In stock form, and cooling issues aside, I actually find the Fiesta more fun at the track. Maybe because it's easier to drive fast, especially if you know how to LFB.
    bawareca likes this.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    113
    Liked
    14 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    Stock for stock, the Fiesta is faster over 1 lap. After that, it falls on its face. It needs oil cooler, radiator and BBK to survive 20 minute sessions, even in sub 70F weather. Without an oil cooler, I cannot complete a full hot lap at Buttonwillow. Coolant will go over 250F half way through the lap.

    The FRS needs none of that (though oil cooler is highly recommended in hot weather, and a BBK pays for itself after a while), and is more efficient on tires. It's also a far better track platform to invest on. And unlike the S2000, you can easily fit a full set of tires/wheels and tools in it.

    On the Fiesta, rear camber is not adjustable, even with coil-overs. Rear suspension is not independent. You also cannot disable torque vectoring even if you turn electronics "off". Without a BBK, this ruins the front inside rotor in 1 day. A torsen-like LSD like the Quaife only helps so much.

    The wheel selection on the Fiesta is laughable due to its bolt pattern. It also can't fit anything bigger than 225 wide tires without rubbing. FRS can accommodate far wider wheels & tires without effort.

    Both cars are fun. In stock form, and cooling issues aside, I actually find the Fiesta more fun at the track. Maybe because it's easier to drive fast, especially if you know how to LFB.
    Thx.
    Best review for both FRS and fiesta since you drive both car fast
    Last edited by jqsti2015; 03-25-2017 at 12:49 AM.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    572
    Liked
    49 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    Stock for stock, the Fiesta is faster over 1 lap. After that, it falls on its face. It needs oil cooler, radiator and BBK to survive 20 minute sessions, even in sub 70F weather. Without an oil cooler, I cannot complete a full hot lap at Buttonwillow. Coolant will go over 250F half way through the lap.

    The FRS needs none of that (though oil cooler is highly recommended in hot weather, and a BBK pays for itself after a while), and is more efficient on tires. It's also a far better track platform to invest on. And unlike the S2000, you can easily fit a full set of tires/wheels and tools in it.

    On the Fiesta, rear camber is not adjustable, even with coil-overs. Rear suspension is not independent. You also cannot disable torque vectoring even if you turn electronics "off". Without a BBK, this ruins the front inside rotor in 1 day. A torsen-like LSD like the Quaife only helps so much.

    The wheel selection on the Fiesta is laughable due to its bolt pattern. It also can't fit anything bigger than 225 wide tires without rubbing. FRS can accommodate far wider wheels & tires without effort.

    Both cars are fun. In stock form, and cooling issues aside, I actually find the Fiesta more fun at the track. Maybe because it's easier to drive fast, especially if you know how to LFB.
    I recently bought a used Fiesta ST to use as a daily with an every once in a while track day and autocross and although the car is as much fun as the reviewers say (for an economical street car), it actually overheated on a slow in traffic drive up a mountain on a 90 degree day. I felt like I was driving a car from the 1980's where you used to have to turn off the air conditioning in certain driving conditions. I have an oil cooler and bigger radiator going into the car, and a BBK already on it to hopefully handle the cooling/stopping issues.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    113
    Liked
    14 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnathan68 View Post
    I recently bought a used Fiesta ST to use as a daily with an every once in a while track day and autocross and although the car is as much fun as the reviewers say (for an economical street car), it actually overheated on a slow in traffic drive up a mountain on a 90 degree day. I felt like I was driving a car from the 1980's where you used to have to turn off the air conditioning in certain driving conditions. I have an oil cooler and bigger radiator going into the car, and a BBK already on it to hopefully handle the cooling/stopping issues.
    That's what I'm thinking now,wait for new fiesta st? Ford engineer said they had been testing the new fiesta st on track for a while.
    A new radiator and oil cooler should be able to handle only 200hp
    Last edited by jqsti2015; 03-25-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

  7. #27
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,515
    Liked
    2184 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jqsti2015 View Post
    That's what I'm thinking now..wait for new fiesta st? Ford engineer said they had been testing the new fiesta st on track for a while.
    When a manufacturer said they fixed the issue. It usually means it now won't overhear till 1.5 lap instead of 1/2 lap.
    Olitho and bawareca like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    113
    Liked
    14 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    When a manufacturer said they fixed the issue. It usually means it now won't overhear till 1.5 lap instead of 1/2 lap.
    Overheating with 200hp doesn't make any sense.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

  9. #29
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,515
    Liked
    2184 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    Stock for stock, the Fiesta is faster over 1 lap. After that, it falls on its face. It needs oil cooler, radiator and BBK to survive 20 minute sessions, even in sub 70F weather. Without an oil cooler, I cannot complete a full hot lap at Buttonwillow. Coolant will go over 250F half way through the lap.

    The FRS needs none of that (though oil cooler is highly recommended in hot weather, and a BBK pays for itself after a while), and is more efficient on tires. It's also a far better track platform to invest on. And unlike the S2000, you can easily fit a full set of tires/wheels and tools in it.

    On the Fiesta, rear camber is not adjustable, even with coil-overs. Rear suspension is not independent. You also cannot disable torque vectoring even if you turn electronics "off". Without a BBK, this ruins the front inside rotor in 1 day. A torsen-like LSD like the Quaife only helps so much.

    The wheel selection on the Fiesta is laughable due to its bolt pattern. It also can't fit anything bigger than 225 wide tires without rubbing. FRS can accommodate far wider wheels & tires without effort.

    Both cars are fun. In stock form, and cooling issues aside, I actually find the Fiesta more fun at the track. Maybe because it's easier to drive fast, especially if you know how to LFB.
    Short version:
    RWD > FWD
    Olitho and bawareca like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    113
    Liked
    14 times

    Default

    ATTACH]10875[/ATTACH]
    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Short version:
    RWD > FWD
    In some cases...

    https://youtu.be/tgIiD8NkuAU

    I love these old best motoring videos.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jqsti2015; 03-25-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    572
    Liked
    49 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jqsti2015 View Post
    Overheating with 200hp doesn't make any sense.
    Of course it is not the HP number that is the issue, it is a small turbo producing max boost for its size combined with an inadequate cooling system for the scenario. There definitely are people tracking the ST but radiator and oil cooler seem to be a must.
    bawareca and JulioG like this.

  12. #32
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,411
    Liked
    724 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    My daily is a well sorted mazda 2. It's an absolute blast on the street, auto-x, and windy mountain roads. I took it to a track night event and was amazed at how not fun it was compared to my miata track car. And that was on a low hp friendly track (atlanta motorsports park).
    I think you should try and find a rwd hatch/wagon if you must have the room. IS300 wagon (apparently super rare in a manual, but I've heard they are a blast on track), bmw wagon, etc.
    The IS300 wagon (Sportcross) does not come in a manual version only the automatic with sport shift (up/down buttons on the steering wheel). It's surprisingly nimble, not great of fuel economy.

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Don't laugh, but maybe an E46 wagon with a manual transmission?
    I have a 325i 2wd manny wagon. It's fantastic. Very discreet, more functional and economical than out IS300 Sportcross that preceded it. 2WD manuals in the wagon are very rare. They weren't something dealers kept on the lots, so they are all custom-ordered. Our '05 is great for DD, my wife commutes in ATL traffic with it. It's pretty stealthy, no one expects it to be a manual so hole shots in traffic are really satisfying and easy to win. I did a burnout at the grocery store, everyone stared at the Mustang driver in front of me. It's not the most powerful, but that L6 is buttah! You have a huge update/backdate compatibility with it and it doesn't mind hustling through the corners when you want it to.
    eb7a849fe1d1a75d054e0a2a782549f9.jpg

    Untitled-1.jpg


    Quote Originally Posted by jqsti2015 View Post
    Yea I know...but new miata with LSD is expensive now. I saw some paying 35k OTD.
    I would look at a WRX wagon, 04-05 Civic Si over anything Mini. The Minis are just really awful in terms of reliability, and I really like the way they drive. I would *consider* a newer GTI, or A3, but VWs aren't that much better than Minis.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts