+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Schmoe Money
  • 5 Post By emilio700

Thread: Are these any good for night racing?

Liked
    2243 times

Default Are these any good for night racing?

lamps.jpg

Press Release

Philips Automotive Introduces Replacement Headlamps with Advanced LED Technology

- Designed as direct replacement for standard 5 x 7 in. rectangular and 7 in. round headlamps

Farmington Hills, MI… Philips Automotive North America, a division of Royal Philips (NYSE:PHG), has released its new line of Philips LED Headlamps for direct replacement applications on a wide range of vehicles with traditional 5 x 7 in. rectangular and 7 in. round sealed beam headlamps. These new DOT compliant LED headlamps feature the same innovative Philips LUXEON® Altilon LED technology used in the latest luxury vehicles to deliver high-powered lighting performance, exceptional styling, and long lasting durability.

Philips’ new LED Headlamps deliver powerful, precise illumination and a bright white 5600 K light output that is closer to the color temperature of daylight, while dramatically improving overall night drive visibility. A complex reflector design optimizes and evenly distributes light to create an ideal beam pattern and increased visibility while reducing glare. The innovative LED design delivers a lifetime that is 50X longer than standard incandescent sealed beam headlamps and helps create a ‘split-lamp’ appearance that offers a unique look, whether the lamp is off or on.

Philips new 5 x 7 in. rectangular LED headlamp (Part # LED01X1) is a direct replacement for 6052, 6053, H6054, and HP6054. The 7 in. round LED headlamp (Part # LED02X1) replaces 6014, 6015, 6016 and H6024.

The ultra-rugged construction of the new Philips LED Headlamps makes them ideal for use in harsh conditions, both on and off road. The headlamps are built with a military-grade, die-cast aluminum housing for maximum durability, polycarbonate lens to prevent yellowing and scratches, a hardened epoxy coating to resist vibration and shock, and a waterproof, breathable design that allows heat to escape and prevents condensation.

For more information about Philips LED Headlamps, visit Philips Car-lights or call 1-800-257-6054.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2165 times

My 2007 RV has conventional H6054 headlamps and I hate them. They light up the highway so poorly and their is virtually no improvement when going to the high beams. Compared to all my other vehicles the lighting sucks. When on long road trips and the night is extra dark the driving is horrible.

Who has first hand experience about how well these lights or other ones work that perform better than conventional?
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    188 times

Brad,

Those look to be the identical units as the Truck-Lite 27270C (Emilio's 3rd link), which were supposedly then rebaded as the GE Nitehawk (Emilio's 1st link).
    Not sure how they perform for racing, but Keith at FM installed a pair recently and has been raving about them.

Have you tried upping the H4 bulbs in your new housings to the 85/80 watt bulbs yet?
    Might be a possible stop-gap measure/improvement over the standard bulbs that are included in most 7" H4 conversion kits.

Rally Lights has em... H 412XO H4 12v Osram Hyper, each - RallyLights.com
    (Heck, I even found a post from Moti over on a Prius forum years ago talking about how great the new bulbs were...)

While these bulbs were a lot brighter than the standard wattage ones that came with the H4 conversion kits, I'm sure they don't hold a candle to the LED units.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    2400 times

This is for a pair of universal lights Amazon.com: Delta (01-1149-LED2) DOT Series 7" High/Low Beam LED Universal Headlight System: Automotive
    $218. Just pulled the trigger for the 95R. We'll see how they work. I have Hella e-codes in their now.

Company is in Ontario, California and they have a factory outlet store Store | Delta Tech Industries, LLC
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2400 times

WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2 times

Most of the high powered LEDs tend to fail due to overheating while running them to their full capacity without a proper heat sink. I would look into a HID projector retrofit if you want the best lighting while maintaining reliability. For those looking into retrofited 7" headlights, The Retrofit Source has a kit that might work if you have enough clearance.
    The Sealed7 is the world first high-performance, fully modular bi-xenon replacement for all industry-standard 7" Round Headlights. No matter a muddy Jeep or a muscle car or a muddy Jeep, if you drive at night and can't see a damn thing, these are for

Liked
    2400 times

I ordered a set of the 01-1149-LED2 Delta lights and put them in Johns daily driver. $225 shipped!
    They are bright with a very wide, sharp cut off beam pattern. Our guess is they are close to 5000k, very "white" compared to the Hella e-code Halogens on my Miata.
    Like most LED aftermarket lights, they don't care what voltage your car is putting out. Same brightness with engine on or off.
    The bulbs actually have tiny fans that screw onto the heatsink sticking out of the back of the lamp housing.
    Durability unknown, only one day on them now. The rep tells me they are 1900 lumens on high beam and draw 2 amps each. 6000k color temp
    Lamp housing uses lead crystal glass, vacuum deposition reflector The Delta light housing and bulb are independently replaceable. The other lamps I posted links to (GE, Phillips,etc) use a one piece sealed unit. Put a rock into one of those and it's $180 down the tubes.

Next time John and I are both at the shop after dark, we'll take some pics to compare to the 55/60w Hella's and the Delta LED's. I may become a dealer if they have good programs.

interctive catalog
    DELTA TECH INDUSTRIES, LLC - BATCHED 2013 & 2014 CATALOG
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    704 times

6000k, you won't feel drowsy while night driving. Your circadian rhythm will be all screwed up.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2400 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    6000k, you won't feel drowsy while night driving. Your circadian rhythm will be all screwed up.
    Sweet!
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2400 times

Default LED / sealed beam halogen / Hella E code comparison

On NA Miata, 7" round headlights, engines running so full 14v. All images taken with color correction turned off, same exposure in camera (.5s @ F4.0)

What it's hard to see in the photos is just how much extra light the LED's throw around the periphery of the main spot. They are great cornering lights. What was dissapointing is how little gain in brightness there was from the sealed beams to the ecodes. The e-codes strength is their great beam pattern and sharp upper cut off. That allows you to aim them high and not blind people. The LED's if they prove durable, are a no brainer.

Hella 55/60w E code high beam
    miata_ecode_hi.jpg
    Hella 55/60w E code low beam
    miata_ecode_low.jpg
    Sylvania halogen sealed beam - high beam
    miata_hal_sealed_hi.jpg
    Sylvania halogen sealed beam - low beam
    miata_hal_sealed_low.jpg
    Delta 01-1149-LED 7" high beam
    miata_led_hi.jpg
    Delta 01-1149-LED 7" low beam
    miata_led-low.jpg
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

+ Reply to Thread