+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett

Thread: Is Rolex24 a bit different that the regular endurance racing?

Liked
    6 times

Default Is Rolex24 a bit different that the regular endurance racing?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering about this past weekend's Rolex24. I watched last years broadcast in youtube and overheard the commentator said it is a 24 hour sprint race. In my understanding, I thought with sprint race, you have to hit the finish line first, e.g. Formula 1, etc.

On the other hand, I always thought that endurance racing is a bit different in that you just need to get the most number of laps in that 24 hour time. Unless I heard him wrong, can anyone clarify this for me?

Is other than the venue size and 1 hour shorter, is the Rolex24 any different than the 25 hours of thunderhill in terms of rules and the judging criteria to win?

Yes, I'm still a noob with endurance racing.

Liked
    456 times

I think what the announcer meant was, in the past teams would have to "save" their cars and not drive 10-10ths to make them last for 24 hours. Now the top cars/teams are so well developed (and so well funded) that they literally have to drive almost flat out the entire time to have a shot at winning.

Liked
    2322 times

announcers say that because:
    1. repeating what they heard from dramatic team owners
    2. trying to be dramatic themselves

they are NOT at sprint pace during 95%+ of the race. check the lap time. sometimes they are indeed faster or as fast as qualifying pace, but that's due to condition change (usually weather related). spring pace meaning banging over curbs and killing tires. nobody can do that for 24 hours (if even you could, you wouldn't want to - tires goes away after 1-2 TT laps, so it is better to dial back just a bit). watch F1 races, only 90 minutes, but they almost always dial it back after first few laps.

that said, in the past (in endurance races), everyone breaks, whoever breaks the least win. now a day, you have to not break, AND a decent pace to win.

Rolex is pro race (though they have a ton of amateur "gentlemen" drivers that foot the bills, this also applies to some of LeMan classes), T25 is amateurs.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-27-2014 at 01:15 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2267 times

As William points out, they were being dramatic. They're paid to talk. So they were talking.

Out their ass.

ETK
    Liked
    113 times

Quote Originally Posted by bluefrog View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm wondering about this past weekend's Rolex24. I watched last years broadcast in youtube and overheard the commentator said it is a 24 hour sprint race. In my understanding, I thought with sprint race, you have to hit the finish line first, e.g. Formula 1, etc.
    There isn't really a procedural difference that is important here. It's still about who crosses first. 24 hour races (and many shorter races too) are timed, so the last lap is not determined by how many they have completed (ie, 45 lap race or something) but by when the time runs out and they wave the white flag to indicate last lap. Then the winner is whoever crosses the finish line first and is on the lead lap.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    6 times

i see, i see.

Number of laps are not fixed, but the time is. When the time his 24:00, whoever finished the most complete laps (or traveled the most distance) wins.

I guess announcers are not always stating the fact. I need to pay more attention.

Liked
    428 times

Quote Originally Posted by bluefrog View Post
    I guess announcers are not always stating the fact. I need to pay more attention.
    One of the announcers kept talking about carbon fiber brakes on the prototypes
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    61 times

Best one outta the talking heads is Dorsey Schroeder. He seems to always interject something relevant into the blather. Truth be told, im just glad they are broadcasting 'real' racing, I still watch if it was Kermit de Frog was announcing.

+ Reply to Thread