+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: 2014 Thunderhill 25 hours

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1883 times

We will offer a reprogramming service to make the light not go on up to 30 MPH.

Liked
    1429 times

Honestly, how are you guys going to trigger a light based on speed?

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Slow down to less than 186,000 Miles Per Second.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Would take a few minutes with an arduino, a GPS shield and a relay. Or any kind of speed output from an ECU, dash, etc if such electronics exist.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Or any kind of speed output from an ECU, dash, etc if such electronics exist.
    nah, the idea is if the car's power goes down, it still needs to be able to work independently

pretty sure for you engineers out there, it can't be that difficult to build one, and sell to enduro teams.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 12-09-2014 at 05:12 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

OJR
    Liked
    102 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yeah, I think the Catfish had a real estate disagreement with some car that was parked on the racing line with no lights.
    Can't remember if OJR was driving or team mate.
    That was last year. I came over the hill from Turn 1 and met a stopped ESR car immediately on the downhill side. No time to react, except avoid a square hit. Perfect combination of stopped car over blind crest on racing line and no flagging at Turn 2. NASA apologized for the latter.

This year:
    The Miata stopped on the right side of the racing surface between 13 and 14. This is a flat area. I saw the stopped Miata when I was exiting 13 and luckily had room to move over. I finally heard about the crash when I was in Turn 3 via some radio cross talk from another team. When I came up on the crash that lap the safety crews were not there yet, but the yellow was out. The miata was in the fence on the right side and the Mazda Diesel was on the racing line under the bridge. From what I have heard, the Mazda Diesel was behind another car exiting 13 and swung right to go inside down the straight. When he swung out, he met a stopped Miata.

Other T25 Notes:
    I am sending my suit cleaning bill to Mazda. It seemed we always got stuck behind them at cautions and those clean diesels were not very... Clean. It was like being behind an old bus at a stoplight.

NASA's last minute "gotcha" this year was the mandatory Spotter app in every car. We got it figured out for our team and I have to admit the system worked well about 70% of the time. It was late on corner yellow notifications (depending on the corner), and about 5 minutes late on the red notification. It was spot on for safety car coming in and going green. Overall a good idea that can use some refining. Also, it used minimal data over the 25 hour period.

The Red Flag process needs to be ironed out more. I think the NASA crews were a little thrown off on what to do. The safety car didn't pick up the field correctly and lapped our group in Turn 4/5. NASA claims they gave us the lap back.

Radicals passed under yellow the entire race with no penalty. They even hit us in the door under yellow in Turn 8. Luckily the Mustang won that battle.

Speaking of Radicals, they should all be required to have LED lights on their roll bars. Some didn't and would tuck underneath the back of the Mustang through a corner. A quick check of your mirror and you wouldn't see them. I believe Davidson Racing (winners in the Norma) had lights on their top bar and were also smart enough to present to you when they were behind you. No issues with them throughout the event, they drove a great race.
    Last edited by OJR; 12-09-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
    Facebook Instagram

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    nah, the idea is if the car's power goes down, it still needs to be able to work independently

pretty sure for you engineers out there, it can't be that difficult to build one, and sell to enduro teams.
    Stick a battery on the arduino, would last easily for a 25hr race if you polled the GPS periodically for speed. Would seriously take 5-10 mins of work if anyone needs something like it.

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by OJR View Post
    That was last year...

This year:...

Other T25 Notes:...
    Sounds like lots of room for improvement in track management. How many years has the T25 been run and still having growing pains?

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Sounds like lots of room for improvement in track management. How many years has the T25 been run and still having growing pains?
    I like it the way it is and so do a lot of people. Having the whole track lit would take away from the experience IMO. Just put reflectors on the non-production cars. LED lighting on a separate battery is also a simple solution and many cars have them already. If you run out of fuel, keep tapping your brakes to remain visible. Better yet, watch your fuel gauge or get off the track when you feel it sputtering. Not everything is avoidable, but drivers need to make smart decisions and stay alert. It's a much different experience than sprint racing in many ways and it's not for everyone. I do agree now with Jerry's decision not to run the 5 mile. At first I was disappointed, but honestly the race is challenging enough in December and in the dark that adding in the new section was not necessary.

Some pics of our car/crew/drivers:

10360343_10204004680816390_645629134641816786_n.jpg10325679_10152951262672668_4779574888050924223_n.jpg10846068_10204004643415455_2188421946382471531_n.jpg10698475_10152623062016847_3038964282105770573_n.jpg
    Last edited by redtopz; 12-09-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Liked
    1883 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Having the whole track lit would take away from the experience IMO.
    This is the same argument was used to slow down the progress of so many safety features in motorsports for decades. From having properly designed runoffs to HANS device.
    A reflector is a good start, but only works when your lights are aimed at it, which in some cases might be already too late.
    Having a few light poles around can give you a clue of what's up a few turns ahead of where you're at.. it's a not a fool proof plan (is anything fool proof in racing?), there are still blind crests and corners with visual obstacles, but it can serve as a good early warning in so many cases, that it's hard to ignore.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    This is the same argument was used to slow down the progress of so many safety features in motorsports for decades. From having properly designed runoffs to HANS device.
    A reflector is a good start, but only works when your lights are aimed at it, which in some cases might be already too late.
    Having a few light poles around can give you a clue of what's up a few turns ahead of where you're at.. it's a not a fool proof plan (is anything fool proof in racing?), there are still blind crests and corners with visual obstacles, but it can serve as a good early warning in so many cases, that it's hard to ignore.
    It is safer without a seat belt because you get thrown clear of the car. Without the lights you won't hit what you cannot see.
    bawareca likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1883 times

Yeah, I mean, the car is probably going to crash into a million pieces and maybe even catch on fire.
    It is much safer to watch it from a distance, like this guy -

Liked
    188 times

Red,

Is the guy on the left in the blue driving suit named Dale, by chance?

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe Money View Post
    Red,

Is the guy on the left in the blue driving suit named Dale, by chance?
    Yep Schmoe, that is Dale!
    krazik likes this.

Liked
    188 times

Small world. We used to run together back in high school... fell out of contact with him over 20 years ago!
    Don't tell me he's here on TrackHQ too???

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe Money View Post
    Small world. We used to run together back in high school... fell out of contact with him over 20 years ago!
    Don't tell me he's here on TrackHQ too???
    That's cool. He's on FB and works at Tesla in the Bay Area. Great guy! Not on trackhq that I know of.
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3