Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By flink
  • 1 Post By Stuntman
  • 2 Post By Stuntman

Thread: Insulation from my exhaust

Liked
    708 times

Default Insulation from my exhaust

I was at my local coffee roaster today talking about racing last month when I told them how it was so hot my foot felt like it was burning by the end of the race. They gave me some ceramic insulation that they use in their coffee roaster and thought maybe I could wrap it around my exhaust at least partially to help keep the heat away from my feet. I already have header wrap on the header and reflective material on the underside of the tub in the trans tunnel.

This stuff looks like what they gave me:

UNITHERM Ceramic Insulation,24 In W,25 ft. - Ceramic Fiber Insulation - 23AR50|CF8-1-24X25 - Grainger Industrial Supply

They said it was good up to 2400 degrees and that you could hit it with a torch and it wouldn't catch on fire which is my biggest concern. The stuff in the link says it can handle sustained 1900 degrees. What do you guys think? Are there better solutions? My guess is that this stuff will be fine until it gets wet.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

Make a pair of socks out of it

It looks pretty thick, but I guess if you retain it with some wire netting, it won't be going anywhere.

One problem is that if there's a sploosh of oil/fuel/atf/etc then fluid which would normally have fallen on the track will instead be retained in this material, making a small fire worse.
    jimt likes this.

Liked
    708 times

Good points about oils and fuel soaking in. I knew there had to be a good reason to not use it. Oh well, I ll give it back and hopefully they can still use it.

Now, to find a better solution.

Liked
    660 times

Find thin aluminum sheets (like what is used in the OEM heat shields) and install it with some air gap between the floor/trans tunnel. Put a reflective tape on the outer side.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1915 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    install it with some air gap between the floor/trans tunnel.
    This +100.

Liked
    2265 times

You might want to go with something designed for automotive applications. These guys have lots of cool stuff.

Exhaust Wrap, Heat Shields, High Temp Insulation | Heatshield Products

"Shoe"
    Liked
    567 times

+1 on heatshield products.

Get some Stickyshield for the firewall:

Heat Shield and Thermal Barriers

And get rid of the header wrap and use heat shield armor:

Exhaust Heat Shield Insulation | Heatshield Products

And make sure there are air gaps!
    bawareca likes this.

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

My passenger side floor was turning brown from all the exhaust heat. I used a sheet of that aluminized fiberglass insulation blanket with a sheet of .030 aluminum over the top. Drilled and riveted the sandwich to the underside. That's all worked OK for 3-4 years.

Liked
    708 times

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm leaning toward Heatshield Products Heatshield Armour wrapped around the lower part of the header.

Exhaust Heat Shield | Heatshield Products

Liked
    466 times

Ok, I'm jumping this thread......lol. Good stuff already.

With the wealth of great information here. I though I would ask. What would be the best protection from the exhaust, for the axle/diff.

Because I had to run the exhaust out (under the Axle) the back for Laguna. I am now having problems cooking the axle seals. I did put an aluminum shield with an air gap (I'll get pictures). But still having problems.

I was thinking of this Half Pipe Heat Shield | Heatshield Products for the exhaust. But what would work best to wrap the axle with?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Gian; 06-21-2015 at 08:22 AM.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    567 times

Ive had heatshield products on my car for over a week now.

The silicon fiber mat smoked during its curing process for the first 30 minutes/1 heat cycle then stopped smoking from then on. At the far end of the exhaust, I shot it with an infrared gun after a short drive and got 240*F for the bare pipe and 110*F on the outer side of the heatshield armor. But then again, the body panels were around 110*F in the hot FL weather on a 90*+ day.

I have most of the exhaust from the headers back coated in heatshield armor and it does an impressive job at keeping the heat & energy in the pipe instead of radiating out of the exhaust and into the car. Just putting your hand down at the tailpipes there's a noticeable/significant increase in the temp of the exhaust flow even when at idle. My side sills were 190*F in certain places and its now down to 140*F. Between the reduced side sill temps and increased exhaust temps at the tips, I think it's doing a pretty good job.

I'll post a video of the car on the dyno where I can aim at a covered & uncovered section closer to the headers after a pull once I get to the dyno.
    Red_5 and thepass like this.

+ Reply to Thread