• 2 Post By redtopz
  • 1 Post By Loose Caboose
  • 1 Post By Blackbird
  • 2 Post By b3d3g1

Thread: Why do I watch F1 anymore?

Liked
    138 times

Default Why do I watch F1 anymore?

The gap from 1-2 to 3 is larger in 90-120 minutes of racing than it is at the end of the rolex 24 or LM24. The number of passes could be counted on one hand. Millions are being poured into the cars/teams only to have 13/20 make the actual grid... and even less finish the race. Testing time is so limited that it's almost embarrassing watching herculean efforts only to see teams essentially spending millions to do live tests on TV.

Having one team be out in front of all of the others has always been a reality of this sport. Mclaren honda in the early 80's, Renault in the mid 80's, Ferrari in the 2000's, Redbull in the 2010's, and now mercedes... this isn't new. It's always been about that special driver in that special car with that special team effort, right time right place. But for some reason this is different. This is some how even more contrived than it used to be while just being a joke for those that aren't the top 3 teams.

I've watched f1 my entire life. I've pretty much watched every season/race since some where around 1988. I couldn't possibly care less at this point or be more bored.

Sorry to *****... just bummed about the present and future of F1. Oh well, at least the real pinnacle of motor sport is about to get fired up for the season, sportscar racing.
    bawareca, howang, newold_m and 2 others like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

Agreed on all accounts.
    It's a tease that never materializes.
    Watching F1 is the automotive racing equivalent of getting blue balls.

Liked
    1720 times

Since I share many of your sentiments what exactly are you watching that's better? While the opener to F1 was a sleeper wasn't it cool to see vettel on the podium after Ferrari in 2014 unable to mount any kind of challenge at all? And yes if you got 2 cars to finish you got points but Sauber is looking pretty racy when they were nothing last year. I have always liked Massa and his performance proved Williams worked hard in the off season. While it looks to be a merc wagon train for 2015 there is enough interesting things going on to keep watching.

Liked
    2085 times

^ WEC.
    If the coverage was even half the quality of what F1 is getting, you would never even bother turning on that yawner.

Liked
    609 times

Everything has up and down cycles. I can recall when the 24 hour races were won by laps... and of course, the winner couple come from a much larger group. And there have been times when F1 races haven't been as slow and boring.

And WEC? At best the winner will be one of three cars -- you know they don't fight over positions within a team. I can't even remotely get through a WEC event. There's hardly even stories in the midpack.

I will admit that I don't go out of my way right now to watch the BBC or Sky coverage right now and just live with the NBCSN converage with commercials and poor in-race .

Steve
    Last edited by SteveLevin; 03-15-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    Loose Caboose and ebruner like this.

Liked
    138 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Since I share many of your sentiments what exactly are you watching that's better? While the opener to F1 was a sleeper wasn't it cool to see vettel on the podium after Ferrari in 2014 unable to mount any kind of challenge at all? And yes if you got 2 cars to finish you got points but Sauber is looking pretty racy when they were nothing last year. I have always liked Massa and his performance proved Williams worked hard in the off season. While it looks to be a merc wagon train for 2015 there is enough interesting things going on to keep watching.
    I watch a lot of motor racing while I edit photos and videos. It drives my wife bonkers. I catch the entire entire imsa series seasons out of habit, I typically catch 80% of the DTM and indy races, Nearly 100% of the wec season... basically I try to catch most everything that has both left and right turns. Some times I skim with the DVR and some times I watch the whole thing.

Ok now that i've proved what a loser I am. I'd say the best racing over the last 3 years has been the continential challenge series... although they have some massive issues with parity the ST class with the flood of caymans this year. PWC is a close second if you're watching the online feed instead of what's televised. Indy car is a close third (road courses only) if you can stomach some of the completely amateur moves and resulting yellow flags. Tusc has had some epic GT battles towards the end of last year, prototypes are nearly a complete write off. Unfortunately the TUSC and continential challenge are victims of miserable tv coverage.

Blancpain endurance, FIA GT3, DTM all have epic racing and epic cars if you can manage to catch those races. They rival any of the above series I just listed and provide impressive balance of performance to keep the cars and racing even. WEC trumps them all but you have to basically watch the entire thing online to really get good coverage so that's out for 90% of the people viewing them as it's a serious commitment to find the streams and then watch.

Basically F1 is maybe 5th or 6th in my entertaining motorsport list. There was some fantastic racing for 4th-9th last year I will admit. But now watching those teams struggle because they aren't allowed to develop their car is just frustrating. In the past I have been able to look past the lack of racing at the front to watch the middle ground and get excited about the cars... but It's pathetic to watch cost saving measures essentially mean that teams spend millions to get there and not even field a car at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    Everything has up and down cycles. I can recall when the 24 hour races were won by laps... and of course, the winner couple come from a much larger group. And there have been times when F1 races haven't been as slow and boring.

And WEC? At best the winner will be one of three cars -- you know they don't fight over positions within a team. I can't even remotely get through a WEC event. There's hardly even stories in the midpack.

I will admit that I don't go out of my way right now to watch the BBC or Sky coverage right now and just live with the NBCSN converage with commercials and poor in-race .

Steve
    WEC usually has at least 2 class battles of the 4 that are hot during every race. I'd say half of their races last year were ruined by rather contrived safety car processes that really need to be addressed. COTA and Silverstone come to mind.
    bawareca and Blackbird like this.

Liked
    671 times

Erik - got any tips on where to look for easy-to-access coverage of the much more enjoyable race series? Conti, PWC, DTM... I pretty much gave up on F1 for many of the reasons you've cited, but feel like it's hard to find the series that I WANT to watch. I usually end up catching a race after the fact when I see a reference/link to the coverage by Axis of Oversteer, Moto IQ, Jalopnik, etc.

-Ryan
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    1493 times

Where does v8 supercars come in that ranking?

Liked
    138 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Prob the best racing out there period. Most balls out and closest driving there is. It's weird because like DTM racing which is very close in quality... I just don't get fired up about it. I have no idea why. I suppose it's same reason that I don't give indy car the overall edge over f1. Spec cars makes for some of the best racing but I guess it takes technical innovation to keep me firing on all cylinders interest wise.

Edit: Working on answering you question Ryan. Some of my watching comes down to finding streams. So I'm looking for a way to throw down an all encompassing post on how I find reliable feeds for some of the more obscure stuff. More info coming soon.
    thepass likes this.

Liked
    56 times

On the podium today: (Arnold) "Looois, let's say it toghedder- allll be baaack"!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlB3wDKYZ_w
    Last edited by TYP85; 03-15-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    609 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Me, I love v8 supercars. Been watching every season since 2003. That said, 2014 had good moments (Bathurst, for example, was a wild finish), but it was the first time that I can recall since 2003 where the champion was effectively crowned before the final weekend of the year (and before the penultimate weekend was over!).

And contrived or not, I love watching BTCC races. One of these days I want to drive Knockhill...

I used to follow DTM more closely. I had hope the new spec (which isn't very new now) would lead to better racing, but it didn't, and now I just haven't been able to drag myself to watch it anymore. I'll watch the US highlight shows if I see them, but years ago, I'd watch the full length RTL coverage which drove my wife crazy since she doesn't speak German.

Steve
    Olitho and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2528 times

I still love my F1 !!! been to 3 F1 races, love the sound. love the technology.
    redtopz and Loose Caboose like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    990 times

I literally fell asleep halfway into the race last night. Did I miss anything?
    bawareca and Blackbird like this.

Liked
    145 times

The only exciting part about it was waiting to see who would DNF next. One would think they ironed out all the kinks. I hope Ferrari can challenge for wins this season, Williams probably won't get near enough because of the "customer" engines. Then there was poor Jenson just turning laps hoping his engin wouldn't pop.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    887 times

I confess to liking F1 for the technology, the quality of the broadcast productions, the big budget drama, the prestigious, jet set I]cachet[/I], and the impressive race venues (Monaco, Monza, Spa, Silverstone . . . etc.) And it plays back well when viewed in recorded form without the commercials. Not to mention that the betting pool is the only chance I will ever have of finishing mid-pack with ace, TrackHq drivers.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 03-15-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2085 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I literally fell asleep halfway into the race last night. Did I miss anything?
    No.

Liked
    450 times

I'm a fan of the longer TUDOR races. Might have something to do with the C7.R though and I usually still end up only watching the last hour or so plus highlights.

I have always wanted to go experience the 24 hours of Lemans in person. Maybe we can get a TrackHQ group trip organized sometime.
    Olitho and Blackbird like this.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

Liked
    1 times

F1 on TV is great. Record and fast forward.

Went once to see F1 in person. Once was good.

MotGP is better. The skill/dynamics involved in riding a bike that fast is amazing. Not to mention in a crash, your on your own. No car around you.

I have come to the conclusion that watching is fun for a bit, but driving your own car at a track event is where its at.

Liked
    8 times

F1 is like soccer to me, the action is spread thin throughout the event but is still entertaining to watch.

It's also like soccer in that it is much more popular in other parts of the world.

+ Reply to Thread