+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terminal Island-It just won't die!

Liked
    114 times

Default Terminal Island-It just won't die!

"New" (to me) petition and F.B. page. Hey! You got to be in it to win it!

https://www.facebook.com/ProjectStreetLegal

http://www.change.org/petitions/l-a-...-a-legal-track

Liked
    145 times

I used to go there on Saturday and Sundays up until the last night it was open. Big Willy is gone now RIP.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    114 times

As a relatively "new" resident to Southern California, would you (or anyone else for that matter) mind giving me some history on this place and if this is something worth pursuing? I know Porsche's new facilities will be opening up towards the end of the year, but I'm thinking access to that place is going to be "difficult", at best.

Liked
    145 times

When I used to go to Brotherhood Raceway it was the last year it would be open. What made it fun was you could almost take anything out on to the track as long as it passed tech and getting in was cheep. You would see Jet cars, American muscle, imports, street rods and bikes it was truly run what you brung heads up racing. Some nights you would see grudge matches bike vs. car, King of Terninal Island race where the fastest car/driver could clam it if you beat the the person that was the current king, it was a heads up racing. It suffered from having a short run off area and that may have kept the heavy hitters from going there, there was Los Angeles County Raceway (LACR) in Palmdale which was a better track but you had to do a bit of driving to get there and NHRA rules applied.

There were other distractions if you wanted to call it that, on Sunday nights after the drag races were done there was the Lowrider arena on the other side of the track. This was mostly a car show and a lowrider jumping contest. I remember one night these two girls wanted to fight each other and they called them out to come up to the starting line to go one on one, guess what happened? They booth chickened out.

Now about getting racers off he street I'm not too sure it helped all that much, because the South Bay Area is full of business parks and the big money races took place away from terminal island. People would meet up at Naugles in Carson, Denney's in Gardena, and 120th street. But for those who didn't want to risk getting caught racing by the police, or didn't have a lot of money terminal island was the place to go. It was run by racers for racers.

Liked
    114 times

I see! Thanks, Johnny. Well, it looks like it got most of the people off the street-with the hardcore peeps sticking to their roots.

I thought there may have been a road course there as well. It seems as if that would be the case with the new proposal. Sure would be nice if it worked out.

Maybe the new mayor can see the advantages of a creating a city-based multi-purpose racetrack near a working-class neighborhood (pist: Oh Porsche).

Liked
    145 times

I don't think there will be another Terminal island raceway, the reason being global commerce generates taxes and dragstrips don't.

Liked
    114 times

...Actually, jobs are the biggest revenue creator for the state-more specifically, and by far, personal income, with sales running a distant second. That means we need to up the number of people working in this state, in general.

Due to the larger scope of a Terminal Island Racetrack, it could easily see more than 200 new (Porsche est. for Experience center) workers added to the revenue stream, not to mention (but I'm mentioning anyway) possible restaurants that could pop up in that area.

You might say, "I ain't eating anywhere near that place!" Well then, you're going to want to ask yourself if you'd eat at the Porsche Driving experience-yup, smack-dab on a landfill!

The idea is perfect now. The concept comes at a time of huge paradigm shifts in the way we will need to generate income. These jobs are city-based-exactly where they need to be as opposed to Buttonwillow, CA.

Hey, we're thinking of utilizing pot to pay the bills. This could be the future template on how to create the revenue.

+ Reply to Thread