+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Loose Caboose
  • 1 Post By Loose Caboose
  • 1 Post By agershon

Thread: Sir Jack Brabham Dies at age 88.

Liked
    887 times

Default Sir Jack Brabham Dies at Age 88.

th.jpgth-1-.jpgth-2-.jpg

Aussie F1 legend Jack Brabham, the first man to win the world championship in a car that carried his own name, died today, eating breakfast with his wife.

He lived a very full life, which well befits a a driver that was famous for "full lock, full throttle"

Quite a guy . . .

It is ironic that his first GP1 victory was at Monte Carlo, the venue for this week's race.

Stirling Moss:

“Brabham was always held in the highest esteem in racing circles. Sir Jack was the first Australian to come over and really make a mark. I mean, he is after all, he is one of the best known Australians in the world, I mean, you’ve got Don Bradman and a few other guys, but very few people in the world have achieved what he’s achieved in his sport. He was a really tough driver, I’ll tell you. I wouldn’t say dirty, but he really would push you around. Most of thedrivers, once you’d passed them, you could forget about them. But Sir Jack – you never knew. He was always there, hunting along. He was competitive, I mean, he wanted to win.”

He was knighted for his services to motor-sport in 1978 and is succeeded by his sons Geoff, Gary and David, all of whom reached the top levels of motor racing.

“He lived an incredible life, achieving more than anyone would ever dream of and he will continue to live on through the astounding legacy he leaves behind.”
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 05-18-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    887 times

"Full lock, full throttle":

th-3-.jpg

Well, almost full lock.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    481 times

RIP Jack, you memory lives on!
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    887 times

One of the few consolations of being old is having been able to watch the development of this sport - and guys like Brabham.

His 1959 championship is legendary:

From Wikipedia:

With two wins each, Brabham, Moss and Ferrari's Tony Brooks were all capable of winning the championship at the final event of the season, the United States Grand Prix at Sebring.

Brabham was among those up until 1 am the morning before the race working on the Cooper team cars. The next day, after pacing himself behind Moss, who soon retired with a broken gearbox, he led almost to the end of the race before running out of fuel on the last lap.

He pushed the car to the finish line to place fourth . . . his other title rival, Brooks, finished third. His championship-winning margin over Brooks was four points.

According to Gerald Donaldson, "some thought [his title] owed more to stealth than skill, an opinion at least partly based on Brabham's low-key presence."

Liked
    115 times

Building your own F1 car and winning the series championship?? We will literally never see another racer like him.

One of our contributing writers did a nice tribute article here if anyone's interested.

Loose Caboose likes this.

+ Reply to Thread