+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: SCCA Runoffs

Liked
    45 times

Who would've thought it would have been a clean race this far into it with the rain? And who would've thought tire choice and management would matter more than your drafting partner? Will Hoosier rains go the distance? 6 laps to go...

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    349 times

Amazingly clean race.... no fcy yet at 9 of 14.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    45 times

Wow. what a last lap. Now for the real last lap in the tech shed!
    MikeColangelo and redtopz like this.

Liked
    2281 times

Well, I must say that was a fun race to watch.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    349 times

That last lap was incredible. Too bad the announcers got the leaders name wrong the entire time.
    redtopz likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    242 times

Yeah, that was a good race with a surprise ending. Bolanos and Collum drove a great 1-2 race on rain tires only to get passed by Goring (who also drove well, of course) on the last lap who caught up to them on dry tires when the track started drying out.

I was surprised how clean a race it was.

The B-Spec race a few hours earlier was fun to watch, too. It's all about the draft with those cars!
    wagnerov likes this.

Liked
    1556 times

20150925_202517.jpg
    Olitho and MikeColangelo like this.

Liked
    1556 times

20150925_194922.jpg

Liked
    1556 times

SM start under the lights at daytona. Fireworks after the leaders crossed the line. I think the combo of 4 days of qually carnage that ended in hospital stays for some drivers, night race new to some drivers, highest speeds ever seen for many miata drivers, thought of the highest penalties for getting it wrong put the drivers on their best behavior. Many realize you cannot get away with 90mph tomfoolery at 130.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    984 times

After watching some of the races I think Daytona looks like a good track for the Runoffs. Only issue I see so far is in T1 where the unrestricted mustangs are way faster than all the other cars. But if the cars are closely matched, the racing looks great. The high speed oval brings drafting into the equation which opens up strategies and passing opportunities keeping the podium spots more up for grabs than most race tracks.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    After watching some of the races I think Daytona looks like a good track for the Runoffs. Only issue I see so far is in T1 where the unrestricted mustangs are way faster than all the other cars. But if the cars are closely matched, the racing looks great. The high speed oval brings drafting into the equation which opens up strategies and passing opportunities keeping the podium spots more up for grabs than most race tracks.
    True. Add in some rain and we got the SM race. The track was only wet at the start of the race. The banking dries fast while infield puddles. I was surprised anyone gambled on more rain ans wets. It rains 15mins here then stops. Might happen once or twice a day. The draft is quite an advantage. You need experienced roval drives to automatically understand they need to work together to cut laptimes then fight toward the end preserving your car. The bump drafts look scary. Not the draft but some of the bumps are more like hits where the follower sticks and pushes you. Those are substanially more effective than just close drafting. I have not had that done to me and don't know if that unsettles my car ot not. I would like to try that with a friend at acs but I dont think learning that tomorrow morning during a national championship race is the best 1st bumpdraft attempt. Then the other scary think is the disconnect in a big brake zone. The fastest and the best seemed to stick together even on the brakes. Sometimes they wiuld pass a string of cars in the turns like one of those articulating san francisco swivel busses.
    redtopz and bawareca like this.

Liked
    1556 times

But for SCCA the participantion numbers were more than laguna but should have been more since scca is more an eastcoast club. A common theme was people thought the track too fast and dangerous. In fact we had a formula car guy in a close garage who was a former national champ and he quit after a qually session packed up went home. He was pissed claiming to be pushed within a wisker of the wall by someone else in qually and basically said he did not want to die for a plastic trophy. This place scares me too. It is a big boy track.

Liked
    560 times

For those of us that have done the ACS roval but not Daytona, what would you say are the biggest differences?

Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3