+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: SCCA Runoffs

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    349 times

Default SCCA Runoffs

Just in case anyone is interested the SCCA national championships have started at Daytona, FLA today. Qualifying will run through the week with Championship races starting on Friday. Note that SM runs Friday night leaving the whole weekend clear for INVASIVE tech. Woot! Let the drama begin.

live timing - 2015 SCCA Runoffs Presented by Garmin VIRB - Live Timing
    schedule - Runoffs Schedule - The Sports Car Club of America

Races will be broadcast on speedcast.tv I think.

Top speeds on this track are insane. The Spec Miata top trap speed was 137+ mph. Solid 5th gear rev limiter for sure. A T1 Mustang posted something around 180 mph. The SM race takes place under the lights on Friday at 7:30pm EST. Anyone want to guess how many FCY laps will take place? Evidently two car or four car drafts are working well for SM but for some reason a three car draft isn't working.

Burgoon, hold your tongue
    hakeem likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    188 times

137+?

Oh my. That's faaaaaaast for a lil stock horsepowered Miata.

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    Just in case anyone is interested the SCCA national championships have started at Daytona, FLA today. Qualifying will run through the week with Championship races starting on Friday. Note that SM runs Friday night leaving the whole weekend clear for INVASIVE tech. Woot! Let the drama begin.

Top speeds on this track are insane. The Spec Miata top trap speed was 137+ mph. Solid 5th gear rev limiter for sure. A T1 Mustang posted something around 180 mph. The SM race takes place under the lights on Friday at 7:30pm EST. Anyone want to guess how many FCY laps will take place? Evidently two car or four car drafts are working well for SM but for some reason a three car draft isn't working.

Oh, and lit headlights are mandatory. If there ever was any doubt about if SCCA hated popup headlight miatas... Utter horse****. Worst. Org. Ever.

Liked
    2220 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post

It is friggin' nuts that a T1 Mustang is doing 180 MPH. At MRLS last year the Mustangs were killing the T1 Corvettes in the traps by about 5 MPH as I recall.

If a T1 Mustang is doing 180, the GT1 cars are going to be doing 220 MPH.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    984 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    It is friggin' nuts that a T1 Mustang is doing 180 MPH. At MRLS last year the Mustangs were killing the T1 Corvettes in the traps by about 5 MPH as I recall.

Oli
    Wow, if those speeds are correct I'm really glad I didn't go this year! I have no desire to risk a blowout, mechanical, or spinning through someone else's oil slick at 180+ mph. 137 in a spec miata?!

Last year the mustangs were trapping 10 mph faster than us halfway down the front straight iirc. That's probably like 15 mph faster entering Turn 2. But then they had one big problem, they had to slow down and turn their car . I see the guy that punted me at the start last year is back at Runoffs again. I wonder who he's going to punt this year?
    Olitho, LagunaBlueS2k and bawareca like this.

Liked
    349 times

Corvettes appear to be at least 5 mph down. Sports racers with even less safety gear are clocking over 173. I can't imagine what the GT1's are going to do. Will they even have enough gear ratio for those kinds of speeds? Things could go really bad at those kinds of speeds.

Mark

Oli
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    45 times

I read somewhere else that the SM draft is worth 10mph. Pretty dang nutty.

I was in Florida for a road trip with the wife in May. Daytona just happened to have an SCCA regional running at the same time so we stopped by to catch some of the racing (more like testing for the Runoffs for a lot of people, some guys from California were in rent-a-rides). I hadn't been to Daytona before so it was a real treat. A bunch of guys were hitting the rev limiter at start/finish at that race, bumper-to-bumper.

The "tandem" drafts in SM were fun to watch then, so it's going to be crazy under the lights on Friday night. I predict a single FCY for the race and I'll be watching from my cubicle at work.

As an aside, I hope the Runoffs make it to Indy in a few years so I'm saving the pennies to race my STL Miata there...and if they don't make it to Indy then hopefully they'll be closer to home like last year. Less pennies to save that way.

Liked
    45 times

Yow, Mike Lewis in his GT1 Jag up to 186mph on lap 2...

edit: 196 on lap 3. holy shmedley.
    passmenow likes this.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Wow, if those speeds are correct I'm really glad I didn't go this year! I have no desire to risk a blowout, mechanical, or spinning through someone else's oil slick at 180+ mph. 137 in a spec miata?!

Last year the mustangs were trapping 10 mph faster than us halfway down the front straight iirc. That's probably like 15 mph faster entering Turn 2. But then they had one big problem, they had to slow down and turn their car . I see the guy that punted me at the start last year is back at Runoffs again. I wonder who he's going to punt this year?
    Looks like the fastest GT2 Corvette is only at 171mph, almost 10mph slower than the T1 Mustang. Bizarre.
    redtopz likes this.

Liked
    984 times

Funny how some guys know how to bring a cheater car every year. I think SCCA likes certain manufacturers more than others...

Also these speeds are at start/finish, who knows how much faster they are getting after that? Maybe that is the peak speed anyway, I don't know.
    Last edited by redtopz; 09-21-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Liked
    984 times

Oli
    Kyle Kelley who won GT1 last year is trapping 182 if that tells you anything...

Liked
    242 times

That's nuts.

I can't imagine 137 mph in a Spec Miata, even with a draft. Incredible.

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I think SCCA likes certain manufacturers more than others...
    Seems worse to force the old miatas to run with the barn doors up.

Liked
    560 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Seems worse to force the old miatas to run with the barn doors up.
    Yeah, I imagine that's pretty pointless. That said, if headlights were down, were there going to be many folks hauling to Daytona? I thought the overall aero of the later cars made them fundamentally the only ones actually competitive in a Runoffs-type field.

Steve

Liked
    349 times

Before I learned that the early cars had to run eyes up I was betting on a 1.6 at Daytona. The extra 100+ rpm revlimiter (7200 rpm) and lack of a restrictor might have been a real advantage on the long straights. The night race also played into the NA's favor with cooler temps keeping heatsoak to a minimum. With the headlights up though I think they were screwed. I wonder if they are forced to run all of the daytime qualifying runs with the headlights up? None of the big guns were bringing NA cars in any case. That being said, like it or not, SM now is a 99 and up game. In the next year or so it will become a 2001 and up game and the 99-00's will be the odd man out.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

Liked
    1555 times

I'm at Runoffs now. It is pretty fun but hot as heck. People know I hate the heat. Last week I was in south florida in the heat swapping out a bad clutch. It just about killed me. Then at daytona found a broken 180 degree AN fitting. Had to kludge together a couple 90's and some hose in the blazing heat. Had two failed fuel tests. Got mad...heat does that to me... so tested my fuel jug it passed! WTF those are the same numbers as my failed tests. Head fuel tester says "oh you pass...sorry" Well after 2 tanks purges in the heat, what I really wanted to say was &$=^/!! $** but I kept my mouth shut. Qualy was a shake down on old tires for me since putting my car back together. I need to find some speed.

Lewis is crazy fast nobody in same zipcode. The split times and laptime don't do justice to what you see on track. He just slaughters the field and closes and drives around everybody. It is really a silly show. All year traveling around with Lewis we would show up for qualy and while I struggled he always put his car on pole and Sunday's race was often won with the next best racer finishing 20 to 30+ seconds behind. Amazing.

It might rain by the end of the week. I hope it rains for my race.

Liked
    1555 times

Not the typical view overlooking lloyd lake the back straight
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    349 times

I don't understand. You are running in T2 and Lewis is running GT1?

Regardless, the fuel testing situation sucks. Sorry you had to go through all that. Fl head and humidity has to be experienced to believe. Misery.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post

I'm at Runoffs now. It is pretty fun but hot as heck. People know I hate the heat. Last week I was in south florida in the heat swapping out a bad clutch. It just about killed me. Then at daytona found a broken 180 degree AN fitting. Had to kludge together a couple 90's and some hose in the blazing heat. Had two failed fuel tests. Got mad...heat does that to me... so tested my fuel jug it passed! WTF those are the same numbers as my failed tests. Head fuel tester says "oh you pass...sorry" Well after 2 tanks purges in the heat, what I really wanted to say was &$=^/!! $** but I kept my mouth shut. Qualy was a shake down on old tires for me since putting my car back together. I need to find some speed.

Lewis is crazy fast nobody in same zipcode. The split times and laptime don't do justice to what you see on track. He just slaughters the field and closes and drives around everybody. It is really a silly show. All year traveling around with Lewis we would show up for qualy and while I struggled he always put his car on pole and Sunday's race was often won with the next best racer finishing 20 to 30+ seconds behind. Amazing.

It might rain by the end of the week. I hope it rains for my race.
    Last edited by markn; 09-21-2015 at 11:04 PM.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    82 times

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerov View Post
    Yow, Mike Lewis in his GT1 Jag up to 186mph on lap 2...

edit: 196 on lap 3. holy shmedley.
    I'll take Mike Lewis for the win.
    His crew chief Joe G set up my Trans Am car last year and it was awesome to drive.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    2280 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    Yeah, I imagine that's pretty pointless. That said, if headlights were down, were there going to be many folks hauling to Daytona? I thought the overall aero of the later cars made them fundamentally the only ones actually competitive in a Runoffs-type field.

Steve
    The NBs are more slippery than the NAs even with the lights down. Solid lifters. More torque. Some say better suspension geometry, too. There were only two NAs at the NASA Eastern States Championships and they were nowhere near the front. The other 32 cars were NBs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast