+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: SCCA to form a new Chumpcar/Lemons class

Liked
    2531 times

It is a good idea. Those chump / LeMon cars need a place for sprint racing. Endurance race is just too few and too expensive
    Force McCocken likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    810 times

My endurance racing team is on hold. I just live too far from the main contingent to make it feasible. If I build my own car to this class, I have more events locally without dealing with crew logistic headaches.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1720 times

I'm just not sure this is really racing or if this is really a pit crew...
    _mg_2343-lg.jpg35-spirit-lemons-racing-cessna-race-626x426.jpgdsc_0057-1600.jpg

Liked
    552 times

For me LeMons is all about seat time. We spend about $1,200-1,500 each (4 drivers) for a 2 day event (including car repairs, hotel, travel, race fees, fuel) but if we don't break, we each get 4 hours of seat time.

How many SCCA events would I have to attend to get 4 hours of seat time?

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    I see it as a feeder class. Sure, it seems bottom-feeder, but it gets people into a sport that has a tendency to be elitist and very expensive. If it gets a younger generation off racing sims and indoor karting tracks, which is probably a larger than expected threat, it brings in dollars and competition. I think it's smart. It certainly allows me more options.
    Force gets it.
    Force McCocken likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    For me LeMons is all about seat time. We spend about $1,200-1,500 each (4 drivers) for a 2 day event (including car repairs, hotel, travel, race fees, fuel) but if we don't break, we each get 4 hours of seat time.

How many SCCA events would I have to attend to get 4 hours of seat time?
    It is not about seat time for everyone. It is about more opportunities to race. It is about the strategy of racing a sprint race which is very different then an endurance race.

If it is only seat time you want go to WSIR on Friday, pay the annual $75 fee for test and tune, and then pay $75 to put your car in the track for nine hours that day.

Liked
    2357 times

It's worth noting that the only region that is actually doing this at present is New England. Others are only reported to be moving forward with similar initiatives.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2589 times

If I am reading the rules right, this new class allows cars prepared to IT specifications. That seems counter to the lowest possible cost, entry level edict. IT cars are a lot like PT cars in that they allow enough mods to become pretty expensive. Build race engines, double adjustable coilovers,
    tuned low ratio diffs, Hoosiers, etc.

If there is any prize money or good schawg, the winners will all be current $25-50k IT cars with light bars tacked on. I'll be one of them.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    810 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    It's worth noting that the only region that is actually doing this at present is New England. Others are only reported to be moving forward with similar initiatives.
    Lame. This would be huge in the SE, like the Miata Challenge.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    26 times

Lemons and Chump allow ERW cages, SCCA does not.
    So how are going to attract the Lemons/Chump guys that already build the cars?
    http://touringcarclub.net/

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

That is true and really stupid.
    The fact that both Chump/Lemons feel the need to re-write safety standards that much of the industry uses is just beyond me..

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2589 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    That is true and really stupid.
    The fact that both Chump/Lemons feel the need to re-write safety standards that much of the industry uses is just beyond me..
    It is "beyond you" because you are not willing to sacrifice anyones safety to make a few bucks.
    I'm the same way with time attacking racing. Plastic OEM dash, carpet, glass windows, 4pts and 700whp. I don't get it.
    Last edited by emilio700; 12-23-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2085 times

Indeed.
    If your Chump/Lemons team has 4-5 guys, the cost savings on caging the car in ERW instead of DOM would work out to be ~$50/person... not exactly a deal breaker in the racing world, is it?

Liked
    26 times

Indeed.
    If your Chump/Lemons team has 4-5 guys, the cost savings on caging the car in ERW instead of DOM would work out to be ~$50/person... not exactly a deal breaker in the racing world, is it?
    That applies to those that are building the cages now, but for those that have already built yrs ago can't race in SCCA/Lemons/Chump

Liked
    2344 times

If SCCA Cal Club is moribund than this is a representative example of how moribund it is a month before the race and already 144 entries.

SCCA in Nor Cal is even more moribund than So Cal by The Sheriff's standard.

SCCA - California Sports Car Club/CalClub announces U.S. Majors presented by Porterfield Brakes Friday, Jan 17 — Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 attendees at Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, CA 92335 (6826) > Attendees - MotorsportReg.com

Liked
    2085 times

Quote Originally Posted by ELO168 View Post
    That applies to those that are building the cages now, but for those that have already built yrs ago can't race in SCCA/Lemons/Chump
    Yeah, but you're working with the assumption that everyone got ERW cages because it's allowed.
    I built a few cars, all are DOM, I'm sure some teams chose the same too..

Last edited by Blackbird; 12-23-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Liked
    130 times

You think 144 for a national majors race is a success? Seems like a huge fail to me. Hell technically scca national consider <150 not even worthy of a 3 day event.

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    If SCCA Cal Club is moribund than this is a representative example of how moribund it is a month before the race and already 144 entries.

SCCA in Nor Cal is even more moribund than So Cal by The Sheriff's standard.

SCCA - California Sports Car Club/CalClub announces U.S. Majors presented by Porterfield Brakes Friday, Jan 17 — Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 attendees at Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, CA 92335 (6826) > Attendees - MotorsportReg.com

Liked
    26 times

Yeah, but you're working with the assumption that everyone got ERW cages because it's allowed.
    I built a few cars, all are DOM, I'm sure some teams chose the same too..

I did not say everyone. In matter fact I know at least dozen of them are Erw.
    We built 4 cars and all are DOM. Just saying there are ppl that will run with Erw

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by krazik View Post
    You think 144 for a national majors race is a success? Seems like a huge fail to me. Hell technically scca national consider <150 not even worthy of a 3 day event.
    In today's racing that is a success. No where else in the country do they have the fields for either nationals or regionals that you have in even a nor cal regional. Don't use what you are used to in your backyard. It is not replicated anywhere else in the country with the exception of the first club race earlier this year at COTA. Furthermore, when compared against the race fields at POC, NASA and other clubs it is better than virtually every other club. Remember, we still have not seen the registration rush that usually comes two to three weeks before the race. I bet there are well over 200 entries, although that still pales with your region. I was simply countering The Sheriff's assertion that Cal Club is moribund. It is healthier and stronger than any other sanctioning body in SoCal. If we take away the HPDE/TT portion of NASA there is not much of a racing program unfortunately. It seems like NASA has been trying to do what Cal Club did 10-15 years ago and run their racers off to other places.
    hakeem likes this.

Liked
    2344 times

Your most well-connected of racing drivers in SoCal TrackHQ just got word from Ceci of SCCA Cal Club. The Cal Club board has approved Chump and LeMons cars to race in local sprint races. I asked the question about whether or not the cages allowed in those races will be allowed. I will let you know when I hear back.

Also, the SCCA SuperSchool for race licensing is is Feb 7-8 at Buttonwillow. They usually throw in your first club race for free on the Sunday after your Friday and Saturday SuperSchool class.
    Last edited by Olitho; 12-24-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    robburgoon and bawareca like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast