http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

Liked
    1495 times

4000 lbs limit is too low I think.

Liked
    672 times

Chump/Lemons has 200-car grids. SCCA wants a slice of the pie.
    Last edited by thepass; 12-22-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    765 times

These are sprint race classes at regular regional SCCA events right?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2344 times

That is correct. I was trying to get Cal Club to do that three years ago when I was on the board of directors.

It is smart they did this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    552 times

As a current LeMons racer, I don't know what my motivation would be to do this. The large car count is the most attractive part of the series and that element will not exist with SCCA.

Seems like any car that is not competative in their regular class could just claim to be a Cuump car.

Oli, is that why you tried to get Cal Club to do this? LOL

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    As a current LeMons racer, I don't know what my motivation would be to do this. The large car count is the most attractive part of the series and that element will not exist with SCCA.
    Probably thinking of the guys that never raced before they got into chump/lemons and got hooked up, hoping that they'll want to move into "real racing" at some point.

Liked
    1720 times

Isn't chump/lemons some kind of team sport semi-endurance racing where there are driver changes? I have never looked at it. SCCA is all sprint racing with no driver changes and the socal regional schedule is different from the national/majors schedule. Thus, Those in regional racing have less overall races per year. I'm just not sure how this would all work. It seems like the mixing dirtbikes with streetbikes where the only commonality is 2 wheels.

Liked
    810 times

This excites me.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2531 times

I like it. This will take me back to SCCA

Can we run the Laguna Seca Runoff next year ?
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2531 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Isn't chump/lemons some kind of team sport semi-endurance racing where there are driver changes? I have never looked at it. SCCA is all sprint racing with no driver changes and the socal regional schedule is different from the national/majors schedule. Thus, Those in regional racing have less overall races per year. I'm just not sure how this would all work. It seems like the mixing dirtbikes with streetbikes where the only commonality is 2 wheels.
    Being an endurance series, there are some cons:

Cost - you need crews, radio, extra fuel to run up to 24 hours, extra tear and wear, extra tires, extra brakes, need lighting for night.
    Few events per year, you run one event. Fix car for 3 months. Run 1 event. There are only a few events per year in a region
    Team sport - if you have no friends. You ain't going endurance racing.
    Night driving - some don't enjoy it, some are scared of it. Lighting costs money
    bawareca and Force McCocken like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1485 times

I think they have lost their minds. Being a non-profit organization, SCCA at least had some integrity, although they have a lot of other problems, and that is nowhere more emblamatic than at CalClub, which is suffering because all their original members are now dead or so old they can't get to the events, the middle generation that races at their events is waning, and they have pretty much failed to attract the younger generation, with the exception of Spec Miata, and even there, NASA is stealing SCCA's SM racers.

LeMons/Chump serve their purposes, and make a lot of money for the owners (especially LeMons), but I think it is incompatible with SCCA's mission. OK, call me an old fart . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2344 times

Richard, you are missing the point. SCCA is not running LeMons races. They are allowing LeMons cars to run a 30 minute sprint race.

NASA is not stealing SM racers. There are more SMs per race weekend at SCCA than NASA.

All organizations have aging clients no matter what business it is. Reaching out to LeMons racers is a smart way to attract new racers. In the early 70s when SCCA exploded to 500 racers per weekend it was when they adopted the Lemons of the time. It was called showroom stock at it allowed people to show up with VWs and Pintos to race. Riverside raceway would get 500-600 races entries back then.
    Eric Richter, bawareca and thepass like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1485 times

Oli -

I'm not missing the point. CalClub is moribund, and this won't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Richard, you are missing the point. SCCA is not running LeMons races. They are allowing LeMons cars to run a 30 minute sprint race.

NASA is not stealing SM racers. There are more SMs per race weekend at SCCA than NASA.

All organizations have aging clients no matter what business it is. Reaching out to LeMons racers is a smart way to attract new racers. In the early 70s when SCCA exploded to 500 racers per weekend it was when they adopted the Lemons of the time. It was called showroom stock at it allowed people to show up with VWs and Pintos to race. Riverside raceway would get 500-600 races entries back then.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    94 times

I think that it is a great idea in that it gets more people into club racing which is a good thing. It also gives someone with a not-so-competitive IT car or a newly licensed driver one more class to race in. It might also extinguish someones negative thoughts about the SCCA once they do a weekend and see it's just a bunch of car nerds playing with their toys.

Liked
    1720 times

I see it differently, knowing only what I have heard about irreverent theme racing of lemons/chump. To me this is an image problem for SCCA. SCCA has the
    rep of serious racing. At the big national events you see semi tractor transporters filling the paddock with racers so serious they could be pro and many have cars as part of their dayjob. Even at the lower regional level i just dont see a volvo wagon with three hubcaps and chicken on the roof fitting in with the theme of SCCA.

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Richter View Post
    I someones negative thoughts about the SCCA once they do a weekend and see it's just a bunch of car nerds playing with their toys.
    I guess I resemble that remark.

Liked
    158 times

When this comes out here I will probably participate.

Liked
    1485 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I see it differently, knowing only what I have heard about irreverent theme racing of lemons/chump. To me this is an image problem for SCCA. SCCA has the
    rep of serious racing. At the big national events you see semi tractor transporters filling the paddock with racers so serious they could be pro and many have cars as part of their dayjob. Even at the lower regional level i just dont see a volvo wagon with three hubcaps and chicken on the roof fitting in with the theme of SCCA.
    Put more eloquently than I did. LeMons and Chump have their established niche, but I don't see how SCCA fits into that intended idiocy . . .

Liked
    810 times

I see it as a feeder class. Sure, it seems bottom-feeder, but it gets people into a sport that has a tendency to be elitist and very expensive. If it gets a younger generation off racing sims and indoor karting tracks, which is probably a larger than expected threat, it brings in dollars and competition. I think it's smart. It certainly allows me more options.
    Olitho and bawareca like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast