+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The Sad State of Formula 1 . . .

Liked
    1485 times

Default The Sad State of Formula 1 . . .

Interesting article from the current issue of AutoWeek:

And I thought I was enjoying the last several years of Formula 1 and the bench racing here . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1485 times

Sorry if the quality of the article pic I posted is unreadable to you. Maybe someone else here can do a better job of posting the article -- this old guy is a bit technology challenged . . . It's from the July 6, 2015 issue of AutoWeek, pages 46-47.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1493 times

Hope it doesn't rain? 5 men over the wall? What wall?

Liked
    609 times

It's the end of the world as we know it...

But before Mercedes it was Red Bull, and before that (when it comes to total domination) came Ferrari. In the 1990s it was Williams and back in the 1980s it was McLaren.

Heck, as I read recently, even back in the 1960s it was "those Lotus are so much better than everyone else Clark won the championship and didn't even run all the races!"

Now, when people STOP writing about how F1 is doomed... then I will worry.

Steve
    Loose Caboose likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2585 times

This weekend I watched three major sporting events, F1 at Silverstone, FIFA Womens World Cup final, held in Canada and the first two stages of the Tour de France.
    For overall entertainment value I'd give them the following grades, scale of 1-10 (best):

7 F1
    10 FIFAWWC
    9 TdF, stage 2 in particular

For edge of the seat, don't miss a second action

4 F1
    10 FIFAWWC
    8 TdF, again stage 2

I didn't watch NASCAR but I expect it was business as usual: score of 1 for the pre-race, score of 3 for the first 190 laps, score of 8 for the last 10, score of 2 for the post race.
    To add to this, the entire 2 week long FIFAWC was exciting to watch, rated above F1 for me. The TdF is 3 weeks long with epic stages interspersed throughout. The difference there is the long 5hrs stages often score a 4 for the first 4-1/2hrs then ramp up to a 9 for the finale.
    The FIFAWWC was nail biting right from the opening whistle.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1485 times

^^^ Each to his own. I find watching soccer incredibly boring . . . Only thing that's worse is golf.

Liked
    1493 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Each to his own. I find watching soccer incredibly boring . . . Only thing that's worse is golf.
    Japan got blown up. Their goalie had a rather bad day.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2585 times

Peculiar.
    One sport is 99.8% standing around or walking slowly. Players are solitary. The lowest possible speed of play and tactics. The game is all but silent. Chubby players sometimes win.

The other sport is 99.8% sprinting at full speed. Diving, leaping, twisting plays with harsh contact betwen players. High speed chess match. Cheering, shouts, wall of noise. Played by some of the fittest athletes in any sport.

But yeah, I find golf kinda boring too.
    redtopz likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    145 times

It's only sad when your driver/team is loosing
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    887 times

You want to forget about the score and enjoy the play making and athleticism. If you have to have numbers keep track of shots on goal. Or not . . .

Liked
    1485 times

I'll take basketball as the most fun to watch . . .

Liked
    150 times

I find watching racing boring in general. It just doesn't give me the same high as driving a car on a track. I don't particularly care who wins. I think if I was to choose a particular racing series to watch it would be British touring cars or DTM. The cars relate more to what I can buy.

I prefer watching college football or soccer.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    609 times

Watching soccer is like watching paint watch paint drying...

Steve
    Richard EVO and MikeColangelo like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

Try as I might I can rarely stay awake during any racing event. I dunno what it is but the whole thing normally puts me right to sleep. Every now and then I get a surprise though so I keep trying to watch.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    1485 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    Watching soccer is like watching paint watch paint drying...
    Steve
    And watching golf is like watching the grass grow . . .

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

Oddly watching golf resonates with me somehow. Maybe it is because of all the years I spent trying to become somewhat proficient in the sport to no avail. It is an incredibly difficult sport and hard to appreciate unless you play. I find that watching golf is similar to the TDF in that it usually involves following the tournament over several days for the interest to build enough to make it interesting. I do like following the TDF. Good times though I can't cycle for crap.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    Try as I might I can rarely stay awake during any racing event.
    Me either. Sometimes they have to send a corner worker over to bang on my roof.

Liked
    1493 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    Oddly watching golf resonates with me somehow. Maybe it is because of all the years I spent trying to become somewhat proficient in the sport to no avail. It is an incredibly difficult sport and hard to appreciate unless you play. I find that watching golf is similar to the TDF in that it usually involves following the tournament over several days for the interest to build enough to make it interesting. I do like following the TDF. Good times though I can't cycle for crap.
    Golf gives me ASMR. Not a bad thing.

Liked
    277 times

For motorsports excitement, it's hard to beat WRC rally racing (not the Global Rally Cross silliness). I just wish it were televised more here in the states.

Liked
    223 times

Formula one, let's not fight anymore.

Good racing is like any other sport. It's about the personalities, rivalries, frequent failures, and the rare triumph. It's the original reality show. It has to feel authentic (even when its tinkered with).

The formula is simple. Don't obsess over manufacturing the spectacle. Rather, focus on the drivers, teams, and their stories. The wins can only be shared and experienced if we know the story.

Attrition is tradition. Improbable passes. Walls that dare drivers to inch closer each lap. And gravel traps that swallow cars whole. Crashes are tragic and should be a footnote at best. That's why safety innovations are unrestricted. Good racing is prevailing against the odds. Tried, nearly failed, and somehow overcame. That's what made legends. That's Hemingway's racing.

Reliability doesn't make for better racing. Give us an overboosted 1,300 hp 1.5L motor in qualifying trim that -might- grenade in 2 laps (or will it go 3?). It's unreliability that made GP racing what it is. That's the heritage. It's these boundaries that drive technological innovation even when budgets are slim.

Small teams used to have a better shot at the podium with a tenth of the budget. Not now. It's a more recent phenomena that so many teams finish without a retirement. Budget matters less if the small teams can take it to the big ones on luck. You can engineer reliability but you can't buy luck.

Push the drivers, team, and cars to where the outcome is far from certain. A little bemusement on the podium shouldn't be a rare sight. That's what makes it authentic. That's racing. That's what I want to see.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast