• 1 Post By Loose Caboose
  • 1 Post By emilio700
  • 1 Post By TYP85

Thread: Ron Dennis on Mclaren Honda

Liked
    887 times

Default Ron Dennis on Mclaren Honda

Excerpts from Ron's (seemingly) heartfelt interview:

"I知 not at all concerned that Honda may be taking an innovative path when it comes to the design of our Formula One power unit. In the long run, ultimately, in fact, I think that fact is likely to be more of a concern for our competitors."

"And the Fernando we池e working with today, now, is a fantastically motivated and inspirational man. He痴 as quick as ever, as competitive as ever, more experienced than ever, more expert than ever, and he combines those traits with an infectious energy and enthusiasm. . . And, . . .we値l win again, we値l dominate again, and we値l do that together, with Fernando front and central. It値l be a wonderful culmination to his glittering career."

Exclusive Ron Dennis Q&A: Honda innovation should concern rivals

1430472591198.jpg
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 05-04-2015 at 09:31 PM.
    JJ1 likes this.

Liked
    887 times

So, that being said, will they score points in Barcelona?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2585 times

I for one, agree with Mr Dennis. I think Honda's innovative engine, er, Power Unit, config will surpass Mercedes and Ferrarri. I've been saying it since Adelaide, Mclaren will reach the podium by 3/4 season and fighting for wins by the end of it. The pace of progress at Mclaren this year has been rapid. Putting to shame Red Bull's engine supplier who seems to be going backwards in the same time span.
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    693 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    I for one, agree with Mr Dennis. I think Honda's innovative engine, er, Power Unit, config will surpass Mercedes and Ferrarri.
    As with every innovative design it could swing either way. Regardless how brilliant an idea may look on paper (on the computer screen nowadays) only real world testing can validate it or reject it. I guess we'll see next year.

Liked
    56 times

My understanding is that Honda has a very different and revolutionary design/layout and very small "footprint" of their power unit (design includes an "axial flow compressor").
    This enables Mclaren to make substantial aero gains at the rear of the car with such a small package.
    They're running very tight bodywork and cooling is a real issue, Honda have not run their power unit at full power yet, supposedly when they do, we'll see the true speed of the Mclaren!

F1 Racing News | Racer.com - TECH INSIGHT: Honda's radical Formula 1 engine

1429611783.jpg
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    887 times

I just hope the new president of Honda continues to underwrite their efforts.

From F1Today:

After a troubled winter, 2015 newcomer Honda has now locked in McLaren's 'power unit' for this year's campaign. It has completed only a fraction of the running of frontrunners like Mercedes over the Jerez and Barcelona tests, but on Saturday, the FIA's deadline fell and the Japanese marque duly presented its turbo V6 package for homologation.

Perhaps putting a brave face on McLaren-Honda's obvious winter troubles, Honda chief Yasuhisa Arai insisted the base of the 2015 power unit is "good". "We have solved many things and it is fully homologated," he confirmed.

The keyword now, however, is 'tokens'. 2014 manufacturers Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari have each been allowed 32 performance 'tokens' by the FIA that can be deployed at will throughout 2015. But whether or not those tokens are spent before Melbourne will directly affect Honda.

That is because the FIA has said Honda can also join the 2015 'unfreeze', but only in a limited way. If the average amount of tokens unused by the 2014 suppliers in Melbourne is 10, Honda will have 10 tokens to deploy this season. "We do not know what tokens we will have, because we do not know yet what the others have used," Arai confirmed.

According to sources, Mercedes is definitely travelling to Melbourne with at least a handful of tokens left in the bank. "Most likely," Renault's Remi Taffin commented in Barcelona, "Mercedes and Ferrari will have a similar approach. I cannot imagine that they have used up all the tokens in two months."

Meanwhile, Honda's Arai played down suggestions the Japanese carmaker might now be rethinking its new commitment to F1, after the troubled winter with McLaren and the road car airbag scandal that cost president Takanobu Ito his job. "The new president is fully committed to formula one," he insisted, "which is in the DNA of Honda." (GMM)

And Jessica Michibata Button may be help keep the fires burning in Japan:

th-3-.jpg
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 05-05-2015 at 11:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread