+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Redline Time Attack Website Online

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Chris@Xtremespeed's Avatar
    Liked
    48 times

Quote Originally Posted by jrlz06 View Post
    Chris,

Glad to see RLTA back. Always wanted to try one your events. But why not have 2 street tire classes and have 2 which allows R-comps (Hoosier R6/A6,etc). If I read the rules correctly, r-comps put you right into Unlimited class.
    There lots of cars running on R-comps which are not heavily modified.

Thanks,
    John
    03 Z06
    R-Comps are good in MOD Class. Only Enth, and Street are on 140 TW or higher. Unlimited can run almost anything as long as it's open to the general public.
    I don't think we have enough drivers to make two street classes at this time.

Liked
    48 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Hey Chris -

I really like that the 2013 Schedule already has 2 announced events at each of my 2 favorite SoCal Tracks - WSIR (big track), and Chuckwalla. Chuckwalla can be run in both directions and both are great fun, but different. May I suggest that you run one 2013 CVR event CW, and the other CCW, for the variety? I like CCW a little better, but not enough to always run the track that way.
    I'd like to switch up configurations as well. But you know how time attacks goes. Once we lock in a course, everyone wants to keep the same config for comparisons reasons. But, since this will be the first Time Attack at Chuckwalla, I can at least do a poll for what direction we should run the first one in.
    Last edited by Chris@Xtremespeed; 10-12-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Liked
    48 times

There is a ton of more info posted since I've last checked this thread. I look forward to going over all of it, but I have a big event tomorrow at the Big Track so I'll get back to discussing the rules in another day or two. Thanks again for all the feedback. Some of you guys, like Zong have really gone into a lot of detail with their ideas.

Liked
    29 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    ^^^
    Why did you delete your previous post, that was right before mine, and then post it again after i posted?
    I was trying to post a NARRA rules doc and messed it up then couldn't figure out how to get the mess fixed so I thought I deleted the post. I wrote another post and then realized the other on was still there.

Liked
    21 times

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Xtremespeed View Post
    R-Comps are good in MOD Class. Only Enth, and Street are on 140 TW or higher. Unlimited can run almost anything as long as it's open to the general public.
    I don't think we have enough drivers to make two street classes at this time.
    Hoosier R/A6, Hankook C51/71/91 are DOT R comps but not in Mod class. The are very popular time trial track tires, should be allowed in Mod class.

------
    John

Liked
    1485 times

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Xtremespeed View Post
    I'd like to switch up configurations as well. But you know who time attacks goes. Once we lock in a course, everyone wants to keep the same config for comparisons reasons.
    Exatcly why Time Attacks RUIN open track days wherever they darken our doors. Buttonwillow Raceway and its many configurations and both directions, which variety makes that track so much fun, have been destroyed by Time Attack. I really don't like Buttonwillow for that reason. If I have to run #13-CW one more time, I will keel over and die.

Don't phuck up Chuckwalla in the same way. Its fun in both directions. Please don't kill the fun in the interest of which dumb ass ricer is faster than the other by 1/10 of a second because you can't run the track in both directions.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    672 times

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
    the rules of the grassroots motorsports ultimate track car thing are kind of interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Cliff notes?
    AFAIK, There are no rules for that. Is that what you're getting at?

The ultimate track car competition that recently came out in GRM had no classes - it was just a bring whatever and run sort of thing. They did award something to fastest BMW, fasest Mazda, etc. but there were no classes.

I was sad to see that the winner was yes, very fast, but definitely not very 'ultimate' - being a C6 Z06, full interior w/ Air-con and satellite radio, factory body work, close to if not stock power, wing+splitter, big Hoosiers. I would have very much liked to see something that was a lot more tweaked taking the win there. A GTR showed up which probably had a good shot at it but he went home after one warm-up lap (still made top 10 haha). The only miata in the event was a PTD/TTD (IIRC) car with a JR supercharger @ 160 whp. - he took 16th place I think. It would have been great to see one of the fast miatas show up for that.

-Ryan
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    27 times

Very happy to see the series coming back. I discovered RTA in the latter half of 2009, played at one of their Saturday open track days, then participated in a few events in 2010. I wasn't competitive, but had a blast. Never had the opportunity to meet Chris, as I understand he left RTA prior to that. From discussions with other drivers, I got the impression Chris was really the "heart and soul" of RTA. This alone really makes me want to participate in the new series. I was extremely disappointed to see the direction RTA went after Jackson took over in 2010. Then the 2011 rule set excluded me and many, many others. We all know where the series went after that.

Best of luck to Chris in bringing back RTA. I think the series has been missed by a lot of drivers, myself included. My only plug is that I hope he brings back the pre-event Saturday open track day.
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by thepass View Post
    AFAIK, There are no rules for that. Is that what you're getting at?

The ultimate track car competition that recently came out in GRM had no classes - it was just a bring whatever and run sort of thing. They did award something to fastest BMW, fasest Mazda, etc. but there were no classes.

I was sad to see that the winner was yes, very fast, but definitely not very 'ultimate' - being a C6 Z06, full interior w/ Air-con and satellite radio, factory body work, close to if not stock power, wing+splitter, big Hoosiers. I would have very much liked to see something that was a lot more tweaked taking the win there. A GTR showed up which probably had a good shot at it but he went home after one warm-up lap (still made top 10 haha). The only miata in the event was a PTD/TTD (IIRC) car with a JR supercharger @ 160 whp. - he took 16th place I think. It would have been great to see one of the fast miatas show up for that.

-Ryan
    cliffnotes:
    To me, who cares about interiors, glass, roll cage vs standard 3 point belts, etc. These things don't have a ton of effect on times. A simplified version of the rules that is more "run what you brung" is more attractive to grassroots people. Maybe a new classing system would be better at attracting new competitors than the one that existed for the last 10 years.

What made GRM's competition interesting is there were few classes, and rules were simple. IIRC, they separate classes based on displacement, and then "shop car" or "privateer". Not that redline would need to be that simplified, but especially at first, I think fewer classes is better. Time attack, with attendance low at any one event right now has become like little league - everyone gets a trophy - and "winning" is pretty meaningless if your only competition is sponsored by rockford fosgate and needs a refresher on the meanings of flags. If you only had a couple classes, maybe people would complain less about their competition or classing, and focus more on their own times. Then have a couple special nods you give for "fastest green car", "most consistent lap time", "fastest first timer", "worst blocking move", "biggest DNF", "fastest NA", "fastest privateer", etc.

It might be neat to try and do a completely different take on the rules that have not really changed in the last 10 years. Here is a thought:

2 tire classes - because the serious street tires are pretty much as fast as a NT01 or R888 now, make it the cut off point 100 treadware
    engine displacement - not sure the cut off - 2.0L and below or 2.1L and above? Need to figure out what kind of adjustment you do for forced induction

This divides everyone into 4 classes. So when you list off the event winners, its not 2 pages long. IMO, we have to figure out how to get people to show up because competing is fun - not because they think they have a chance to win a plastic trophy. If you drive a FR-S like me, guess what? you are classed with fast S2ks, civics, miatas, etc. You aren't going to have a shot of FTD in your class until you do more development. But there should still be incentive to come and have fun. While w2w racers do grumble, I don't talk to too many who say they aren't coming out to race their cars because the classing system doesn't give them a chance to win. Unlike time attack where people cry like a baby and refuse to come out if they don't think they can win.

I didn't put a ton of thought into this suggestion, but it might be interesting to try. I suspect Chris is pretty married to the old rule set, so maybe they should try running with a rule set above for a "special" event. Maybe run it in cooperation with other groups in the area - PCA, SV, BMWCCA. Hell, do it to raise money for a charity so the other groups will feel like schmucks if they don't promote it. I have no real idea as to how much work goes into these season rules, and respect Chris is trying to revive something he put a lot of time into. And it is easy for me to armchair QB from behind a keyboard. I could be wrong, but I think the public would respond to a "new" idea instead of a facelift to one we have used for a long time.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by Matt Andrews; 10-13-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Turn your iphone into an action camera:
    www.igloocase.com
    www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4