+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Randy Pobst Tests the 2015 Z06

Liked
    887 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    The frustrating thing is that the guys pulling the strings at GM think that skipping proper cooling for a 650 supercar is not a mistake, if it allows them to build it cheaper so they can sell more. It's a bit too much of a sales/marketing driven company and always has been. It must be hell to work there if you are a talented and passionate engineer. "Well Bob, the little oil cooler is all we have budget for after the flat screen and Wi-Fi upgrade".

I know I'm beating a dead horse but I dream about an American designed, engineered and built Corvette with a high revving (flat plane!) medium displacement N/A engine that's around 3000lbs that can survive a 20 minute track beating in July right off the showroom floor. Offer it with every option available but at least make it possible to option delete one from the factory just a a hard core track toy or autocrosser. Walter Mitty C7R Porsche Kurves fantasies here I come. That excites me more than the 458 that actually exists and I've driven (and overheated).

I continue to dream.
    Sounds like a wish for a corvette version of the Z28 - without the excessive, limited production price hike.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 11-24-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by bikeindirt View Post

Honestly, GM is giving the people what they want...

BID
    Then why haven't they made me a Diesel Suburban tow vehicle?

Liked
    887 times

Liked
    887 times

But, getting back to the Z06, some video footage. Randy Pobst, comes about 8 minutes in and drives Richard's favorite ccorvette ccolor.

2015 Corvette Z06: GTR Beware! The High Performance Bargain Benchmark is Back! - Ignition Ep. 119 - YouTube
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 11-24-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Liked
    258 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Then why haven't they made me a Diesel Suburban tow vehicle?
    All things being equal the Suburban will have a significantly lower tow rating (compared to a similar equipped truck). so, same reason... Historically "most" people use suburbans to haul giant families around, diesel are used for giant trailers.

This might change with the new breed of smaller diesels drive-trains, so be careful what you ask for,,, "diesel" is probably not the feature you really want.

Sucks not being average...
    BID

Liked
    0 times

You all have to consider marketing and target demographic.

Most people measure their dicks, oops I mean cars performance, based on paper stats.

The average person won't even do 1 lap on a track, so what does the manufacturer care if it can't survive a sunday driven 20 minute track session?

When someone comes in for warranty repair for beating on it, they will say it was "abused" or some horse ****.

For the average person all it needs is an automatic trans and able to beat X car for less $ by shifting to D and putting their foot down for 10 seconds.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2585 times

Quote Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
    You all have to consider marketing and target demographic.

Most people measure their dicks, oops I mean cars performance, based on paper stats.

The average person won't even do 1 lap on a track, so what does the manufacturer care if it can't survive a sunday driven 20 minute track session?

When someone comes in for warranty repair for beating on it, they will say it was "abused" or some horse ****.

For the average person all it needs is an automatic trans and able to beat X car for less $ by shifting to D and putting their foot down for 10 seconds.
    I get all that. Everyone does. Yet..

Porsche offers lightweight, bare bones performance models and they have been some of the most desirable cars in the world for over 40 years.
    Porsche has offered factory built race ready versions of the 911 for 40 years and they are the single most successful production pro level race cars ever built
    Porsche continues to sell 911's at a huge profit despite the antiquated drive train layout

GM could do that. The engineers are just as skilled. I'm not saying the Z06 isn't profitable or a good idea. I think it's just misbadged. It should be the ZR-1 and have 700hp. The C7 Z06 should be 400 lbs lighter with a 7.0L HO version of the D/I engine. Say 560HP @ 3050 lbs, same lbs/hp as the current Z06.
    Then GM starts a customer race car program, making say 150 C7R's for use in WC, WEC and whatever other series they might squeeze into around the globe.
    bawareca and SDSUsnowboards like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    138 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Then GM starts a customer race car program, making say 150 C7R's for use in WC, WEC and whatever other series they might squeeze into around the globe.
    I'm with you on everything except that last part. While I would love to see a vette customer car program... the current gt3 vs gte rule set shake up due for 2016 isn't going to allow that any time soon. The closest thing we will most likely see to that is the new ats-v gt3 possibly becoming a customer car and the c7r staying gte until the demise of that class (most likely 2016).

My gut tells me that chevy feels that the development of the vette is so tied to the racecar program that they don't see much value in turning the running of the cars over to non factory efforts. It will be interesting to see what happens to the cXr program once factory run gt teams become a thing of the past as the more successful gt3 system comes into play.
    Last edited by ebruner; 12-05-2014 at 01:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2