• 2 Post By Olitho
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett
  • 2 Post By Olitho
  • 1 Post By Olitho
  • 2 Post By robburgoon

Thread: Racer: Proposed California road course targets 'Silicon Valley F1 GP'

Liked
    207 times

Default Racer: Proposed California road course targets 'Silicon Valley F1 GP'

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/142871-proposed-california-road-course-targets-silicon-valley-f1-gp

"The California town of San Juan Bautista has been targeted for the creation of a new 550-acre "Motor & Technology Center of Excellence" facility that aspires to put on a "Silicon Valley Formula 1 Grand Prix," among other major events."

As unlikely as this concept seems, I have mixed feelings. I welcome a new circuit in my home country of California. Though for F1, I'm satisfied with CoTA to carry the torch and rather see many more historic F1 tracks on the calendar (and less Tilke). Novel idea - keep Silverstone, add Brands, and maybe Zandvoort.

Liberty seems keen to add NA tracks. Indy is a great option (among tracks that are ready now and require minimal retooling). I'd also suggest Watkins or Mosport but FIA "upgrades" would likely ruin the character of.

Liked
    207 times

Here's the Google Map of the location.

The location looks like a non-starter, adjacent to residential. Liberty's strategy also seems to focus on destinations... possibly more city events.

The project team's proposal (link) doesn't add up. $300MM budget - I think CoTA was $400? $150K for architects and engineers?

Liked
    2138 times

The naysayer in me says the California enviros will never let anything like this happen here.
    bawareca and Plavan like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    732 times

I would love to see Road Atlanta get a consideration, but NASCAR would have to get involved and the ALMS potential conflict? It could use some updates and refreshing. They have the room. I don't think VIR would be on there, the surrounding area really couldn't handle the influx. The closest airport is RDU, The largest INT'L airport is Dulles or Charlotte.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2230 times

I would love another F1 race in the U.S., especially one I could drive to. I'd also like another track in California.

Given how much it costs to put on an F1 race, I'm not holding my breath, and I think the proposed new track would be the most expensive to rent, which would make it expensive to race there. But I'm all for it.

Liked
    2138 times

If we can't get past the environmental barriers to building high-speed rail in California that is almost universally accepted by the left, I don't see how we can build a dirty noisy race track in the state.

Liked
    2230 times

Almost universally accepted.

Liked
    732 times

Areas near and around Charlotte could build a track. It's proximity to a good airport, interstates 40, 85, and 77 make it pretty easy to get to. That area is very accepting of its racing industry, financial hub. If they can get past their petty bathroom issues, they could make a strong case.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    15 times

I don't see any point why a F1 race track would be an environmental problem. Noise? A few race cars? Probably hwy trucks get more. And it's beneficial to local economy. Besides, race cars don't sound bad at all. Who would hate a GT350 race car?

It seems like the plan has been refused by local.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

Liked
    2138 times

Quote Originally Posted by jqsti2015 View Post
    I don't see any point why a F1 race track would be an environmental problem.
    It is evident you don't live in California. Everything and anything new is an environmental problem. The easiest way to stop a project is to say it impacts some bacteria or something.
    LagunaBlueS2k and bawareca like this.

Liked
    47 times

Buttonwillow Race track can't even expand because of a rat...... It is in the middle of a dust bowl and cannot support crops.
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

Liked
    2230 times

Quote Originally Posted by Plavan View Post
    Buttonwillow Race track can't even expand because of a rat...... It is in the middle of a dust bowl and cannot support crops.
    Wait a minute. The planned additional track is on hold because of a rat? Really?

Oli has a point. The California Environmental Quality Act gets abused to stop projects. There was a Winco Foods store proposed here in Ventura. Winco doesn't employ union labor, so, if memory serves, the union used a CEQA lawsuit over the large sign it was going to put out front to disrupt the store from going forward. I had nothing to do with the environment, but that's how they disrupted the proposal.

It eventually went forward and the Winco is now in business and doing just fine as far as I can tell.

So, you can imagine what a racetrack would have to endure to get built.

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Wait a minute. The planned additional track is on hold because of a rat? Really?

Oli has a point. The California Environmental Quality Act gets abused to stop projects. There was a Winco Foods store proposed here in Ventura. Winco doesn't employ union labor, so, if memory serves, the union used a CEQA lawsuit over the large sign it was going to put out front to disrupt the store from going forward. I had nothing to do with the environment, but that's how they disrupted the proposal.

It eventually went forward and the Winco is now in business and doing just fine as far as I can tell.

So, you can imagine what a racetrack would have to endure to get built.
    Yes, exactly a rat.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

Liked
    2138 times

It is my understanding it is literally just one kangaroo rat. Not one species living there, but a single rat. The folks at BRP even named him, but can't remember the name at this moment.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    It is my understanding it is literally just one kangaroo rat. Not one species living there, but a single rat. The folks at BRP even named him, but can't remember the name at this moment.
    LOL kangaroo rat....
    VA(15) STI/FRS

Liked
    1428 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Wasn't it "the bachelor"?
    Olitho and jqsti2015 like this.

Liked
    2138 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Wasn't it "the bachelor"?
    I think that is it.

+ Reply to Thread