+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Porsche sets a new world record on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife

Liked
    2265 times

Default Porsche sets a new world record on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife

Atlanta, Georgia. Porsche set a new lap record for street legal sports cars on the 12.8 mile (20.6 kilometer) Nürburgring-Nordschleife with the 2018 911 GT2 RS. Recorded and officially timed on September 20th, the best lap time of 6:47.3 minutes even surpassed internal expectations. Frank-Steffen Walliser, Head of Motorsport and GT Cars for Porsche AG, said ”At the start of the development process, we set ourselves a lap time target for the GT2 RS of less than 7 minutes and 5 seconds. The credit for beating this target by 17.7 seconds goes to our development engineers, mechanics and drivers, who demonstrated an exceptionally strong team performance. This result makes it official: The GT2 RS is not only the most powerful, but also the fastest 911 model ever built.”

The record lap was not just a single occurrence: Lars Kern of Germany and Nick Tandy from Great Britain broke the previous record for street legal sports cars (6:52.01 minutes) immediately and proceeded to lap the track in under 6:50 minutes on five separate laps. Andreas Preuninger, Director of the GT model line, stated, “It’s not just the record time achieved by the GT2 RS that demonstrates the vehicle’s caliber, but also the consistency of performance in every lap. We’re particularly proud of the fact that this was achieved with two different vehicles and two different drivers, as it underscores the ability of the GT2 RS to reproduce the record over and over again.”

p1.png

Porsche factory driver Nick Tandy traveled directly from the six hour race in Austin, Texas to the Ring and adapted from driving the Le Mans prototype Porsche 919 Hybrid to the 700 hp 911 GT2 RS fitted with standard N-spec Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires in impressive fashion. Lars Kern, Porsche test driver by trade and a passionate race car driver in his own right, was the one to set the fastest final time. In addition to the Carrera Cup Australia, Kern regularly competes in the German VLN endurance racing championship on the Nürburgring and knows the Nordschleife like the back of his hand. The ultimate record lap began under ideal track conditions at 7:11 p.m. local time and ended 6:47.3 minutes later. The average speed on the 12.8 mile (20.6 kilometer) lap was 114.4 miles per hour.

The fastest and most powerful road-going 911 celebrated its world premiere at the Festival of Speed in Goodwood, Great Britain. The heart of the high-performance sports car is a twin turbo flat-six engine producing 700 horsepower. This enables the two-seater weighing 3,241 pounds to accelerate from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 2.7 seconds. The top track speed of the rear-wheel drive Coupé is 211 miles per hour. Thanks to the race-bred powertrain, the new 911 GT2 RS surpasses its predecessor, which was equipped with a 3.6 liter engine, by 80 horsepower and delivers up to 553 lb.-ft. of torque.
    Attached Images

Liked
    367 times

That is most dank
    JJ1 likes this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2265 times

I'm still shaking my head at 700 horsepower. From 4.0 liters of engine. Mind boggling.

Liked
    76 times

smooth lap too.. no drama just a car quietly setting a lap record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh8_2zQZ3xM

Liked
    858 times

Nearly 200 mph at the end of the fuchsrohre ("fox hole")! Phenomenal . . .

Liked
    19 times

I just need to scrape up $506,000. and it will be mine.
    SteveLevin, ucfbrett and jqsti2015 like this.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    566 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I'm still shaking my head at 700 horsepower. From 4.0 liters of engine. Mind boggling.
    =175hp/L

Mercedes CLA45 AMG: 355hp, 2.0L I4 = 177.5hp/L

Ford GT: 649hp, 3.5L V6 = 185hp/L

Last edited by Stuntman; 09-28-2017 at 09:53 PM.
    bellwilliam and Loose Caboose like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1914 times

Nice to see that cars are catching up with what bike engines did more than 10 years ago

Liked
    2265 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Nice to see that cars are catching up with what bike engines did more than 10 years ago
    Stratoshperic rpm certainly helps, doesn't it?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1914 times

Gotta make it possible to burn more fuel somehow.
    More displacement, more RPM or forced induction - choose your weapon.

Liked
    2319 times

what's the red line on the GT2 RS ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

"Shoe"
    Liked
    566 times

So does the small displacement. Its exponentially more difficult to make the same efficiency and rpms as displacement goes up.

Liked
    557 times

Part of the engineer in me is still offended by the inefficiencies of high rpm. Everything from airflow management inside the engine to the cost of dealing with high piston speeds and frictive losses...

Yes, I'm a dork. And I appreciate the other factors involved (which is the same reason single bladed propellers never became a big thing, either).

And now you are starting to get an idea of why I drive the nurses crazy here in the hospital.

Steve
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    111 times

That time is stupid fast on street tires. Super smooth driving too, makes it looks easy.
    Less powah is better

Liked
    378 times

What makes it even cooler is that Lars Kern is (primarily) a test driver, not one of the LMP1 guys, or on any of the Werks teams (well... yet). Great of Porsche to send him out with Tandy and impressive that he was ultimately a little bit quicker than the LMP1 driver in this car. Also nice to see the 911 chassis still hauling the mail after 53 years of development, beating all supercars (and the Radical) at the Nurburgring game with no hybrid assistance or ridiculous tech -- just ordinary internal combustion and a dollop of boost.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    566 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    Part of the engineer in me is still offended by the inefficiencies of high rpm. Everything from airflow management inside the engine to the cost of dealing with high piston speeds and frictive losses...

Yes, I'm a dork. And I appreciate the other factors involved (which is the same reason single bladed propellers never became a big thing, either).

And now you are starting to get an idea of why I drive the nurses crazy here in the hospital.

Steve
    But RPM is the only way to make the kind of power F1 cars and MotoGP bikes are able to achieve.

Liked
    858 times

No getting around stoichiometric constraints: more fuel needs more air.

Liked
    858 times

Which leads to compressed and bottled NO2 instead of free oxygen (for drag strip guys) or - for space flight guys - super cold, liquid oxygen than can handle so much fuel that the fuel pump becomes a hyper-critical component.

Federal Investigators Spot Flaws in SpaceX Falcon 9 Rockets
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 09-28-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Liked
    557 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    But RPM is the only way to make the kind of power F1 cars and MotoGP bikes are able to achieve.
    Within the current rules, yes, And I'll be the first to admit that even if I got offered Corvette driver money there's no way I'd ride a bike with a massive turbo sitting between my legs.

But for F1 engines there are definitely more efficient ways of generating power that would fit within the required packaging -- they just wouldn't be the spiffy multi-mode software driven hybrids of the current rules, which require entire software teams just to develop software so the "power units" don't tear themselves, the car, and quite possible half the neighborhood apart

btw, did anyone catch a few races ago that the Renault engines have at least tested a trick self-starting mode? In one of the practice sessions Hulkenberg lost power, and they were feeding him instructions on a sequence to try and use the MGU-H to spin up the MGU-K and fire it back up. But they couldn't get it to lock on the transaxle's primary shaft (the one that connects to the power/input side) so the experiment failed.

Steve

JJ1
    Liked
    183 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    ...nice to see the 911 chassis still hauling the mail after 53 years of development, beating all supercars (and the Radical) at the Nurburgring game with no hybrid assistance or ridiculous tech -- just ordinary internal combustion and a dollop of boost.
    Exactly! They beat their OWN 918 fancy traction control AWD hybrid by 9 sec!!!!! And that's with a car that has its engine in the wrong place! LMAO!!! I love Porsche for this.
    Olitho likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast