+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack Olsen
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett

Thread: No News is not Good News - Michael Schumacher

Liked
    887 times

Default No News is not Good News - Michael Schumacher

I Just saw this rather sobering assessment regarding Michael Schumacher's recovery:

Gary Harstein – the former F1 doctor who succeeded Sid Watkins- indicates that following the removal of sedation that was announced by the doctors, the next step would be to wean Michael form his ventilator. He feels that, had this been successfully achieved, there probably would have been an announcement from Grenoble and/or from the family – as this would be a joyous occasion.

Harnstein is blunt on the matter:

“If Michael is not breathing on his own, and is (as we suspect) not showing signs of purposeful interaction with his environment (I am ignoring the mouth movements of which Felipe Massa spoke), AND if there is imaging and functional evidence of extensive and irreversible brainstem damage, Michael’s doctors will discuss withdrawing treatment with the family, as under these circumstances there is essentially no chance of recovery. It is possible that this discussion has already happened”.

“Lastly, if Michael is breathing on his own AND showing signs of meaningful interaction with his environment (I very much hope, but very much doubt that this is the situation), then a certain number of people should be ashamed of themselves for denying this good news to his fans. If there is indeed progress and good news ready to be told, then the current communication strategy will go down in the annals as among the most ill-guided, unprofessional, and hurtful in the history of Formula 1 PR”.

Last edited by Loose Caboose; 02-24-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Liked
    380 times

Yeah, that was a very strange blog he posted. The gist: things are probably really bad and the family is dealing with Michael losing his battle; but if all the evidence is wrong and Schumacher is on his way to recovery (which Harstein sees as extremely unlikely), then the family are huge jerks and ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Huh?

If you believe the news is bad, Harstein, then why beat up on the family in such a public way for what it might mean if the news weren't bad? I like Harstein and have really appreciated his posts. But this last one is a head-scratcher.

Liked
    2363 times

The disappointing thing is that the more we read, the less clear everything becomes.

Liked
    887 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    Yeah, that was a very strange blog he posted. The gist: things are probably really bad and the family is dealing with Michael losing his battle; but if all the evidence is wrong and Schumacher is on his way to recovery (which Harstein sees as extremely unlikely), then the family are huge jerks and ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Huh?

If you believe the news is bad, Harstein, then why beat up on the family in such a public way for what it might mean if the news weren't bad? I like Harstein and have really appreciated his posts. But this last one is a head-scratcher.
    +1 Family trumps fans . . . regardless of their reasons.

+ Reply to Thread