+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New NASA Spec 350Z class

Liked
    977 times

Default New NASA Spec 350Z class

Looks interesting and well thought out (other than using a super expensive spec tire):

NASA News - National Auto Sport Association - nasaproracing.com

Rules: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/s...rules_2012.pdf

Liked
    1485 times

What does a '03 or '04 Z in good shape with manual gearbox and no more than say 75,000 miles go for nowadays?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    19 times

Im surprised they do not allow more extensive brake upgrading, especially for those weights. These cars have a well documented problem with catastrophic brake failure.
    Great idea though, these cars can be acquired for dirt cheap and actually have a bit of power.

Liked
    2356 times

$9k to $16k according to a brief AutoTrader search

Find Your Car: Nissan 350Z Listings Near Ventura, CA 93003 - AutoTrader.com

Liked
    1485 times

I dunno about this. It was never an ideal package for tracking/racing. A little heavy, expensive to mod, with something of a propensity to swap ends, etc.

I looked on AutoTrader and there were only 4 350Z within 500 miles of L.A. for less than $10,000. Three of them had over 100,000 miles (the highest mileage was 138,000 on an '03 Track model that was exactly what I bought new the year the car came out), and the other one had a salvage title and 95,000 miles.

I don't think that's dirt cheap as a starting point for a spec class modifed street car to go racing. A donor Miata for SM can easily be had for $2,000, and I'm sure donor E30s are really cheap too. Not sure what a donor car for 944 spec goes for, but a lot cheaper than the 350Z. Heck, if you are willing to spend $18,000, you can have a nice car to build into a Spec 996, which I would much rather have than a Z. A C5 Z06 to build for T1 wouldn't be that much more than a Z (probably about the same as the 996), and it will run circles around the Nissan.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 02-04-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    SteveLevin likes this.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2356 times

Prices should continue to decrease, which bodes well for the future of a new class. Time will tell.

Liked
    1485 times

One more thing. The price of an S2000 is gonna be a little less than a 350Z, or at least comparable. While there is no Spec S2K class, I have owned and tracked both cars, and I like the S2000 WAY better. NASA needs a Spec S2K class. It's a little bit of a tight fit for the cage (I think the interior of the S2K is actually smaller than that of the Miata), but it can be done.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 02-04-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Liked
    454 times

Spec S2K makes way more sense, but you wont get factory support for a discontinued model.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    977 times

Nice to see some spec classes for decent cars with some contingency $ behind them.

There's plenty of cheap/pos spec classes already.

Liked
    1485 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    Spec S2K makes way more sense, but you wont get factory support for a discontinued model.
    Well I guess you have a point there. The next thing that will happen in Spec 350Z is that they will allow Spec 370Z with a restrictor plate or whatever to equalize the cars (one thing is for sure, 350Z is better looking than 370Z, but obviously that doesn't matter in racing). Then everyone will complain that's not fair. This is not going to be successful in my view.

Liked
    551 times

I didn't read the rules, but if they allow track models this will drive the cost of those up. I saw an 04 track model with only 40,000 mi a few months ago for $11,500. Maybe I should have bought it ???

craZee

Liked
    1485 times

I bought a brand new 2003 Track Model with NAV for sticker -- no discount -- in March 2003 when the car first came out. I paid $37,000. A Track model with 40K miles for $11.5 seems like a great deal..

Liked
    0 times

Going to be some serious tire carnage with no allowances for front camber (factory arms have no adjustability for camber). No word yet on what the spec Z KW's are....at least that I can find. The 350z owner in me loves it, but I can't help but think this will be a toss up whether it succeeds.

There are a bunch of 350z's (03-04) in the 7.5-10k range here on the east coast). I already know that a few of the t2/t3 guys are thinking about dabbling in a bit.

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Well I guess you have a point there. The next thing that will happen in Spec 350Z is that they will allow Spec 370Z with a restrictor plate or whatever to equalize the cars (one thing is for sure, 350Z is better looking than 370Z, but obviously that doesn't matter in racing). Then everyone will complain that's not fair. This is not going to be successful in my view.
    Even with a restriction on power, the 370's chassis,suspension geometry,and torque band are far superior to the 350. Also,since when did the 350 look better?

370 wont be allowed in this because the 350 wont stand a chance. This past weekend at buttonwillow I drove my friends nismo 350z with significant modification and I only got a 2.07. In my 370 with good street tires, brake pads, and similar power mods I ran 2.04.1.

Liked
    693 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    . Also,since when did the 350 look better?
    Since day 1
    heelntoe likes this.

Liked
    103 times

Well even if you guys think the 350z looks better,bottom line is the 370 is a superior performance platform

Liked
    977 times

What are the differences between the chassis (not engine, I know about that one)?

Liked
    38 times

Wider track, reduced height, shorter wheelbase, better brakes and stiffer. Though you might know about the engine difference it is around 40 wheel hp from what I hear. The 350z always seemed a bit weak sauce in the real world compared to on paper.

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz View Post
    Going to be some serious tire carnage with no allowances for front camber (factory arms have no adjustability for camber). No word yet on what the spec Z KW's are....at least that I can find. The 350z owner in me loves it, but I can't help but think this will be a toss up whether it succeeds.

There are a bunch of 350z's (03-04) in the 7.5-10k range here on the east coast). I already know that a few of the t2/t3 guys are thinking about dabbling in a bit.
    yeah this is a part of the rules i dont agree with, and i brought up to NASA and they said its to reduce the initial cost. but it makes no sense. Miata's for example as most of us know have OEM camber adjustment, so spec miata guys have that option. Like you said 350's have no OEM camber adjustment, and on top of that have over -1.5 degrees more camber in the rear then the front, so even if you lower the car with the spec coilovers, the rear is going to have much more static camber then the front, and on top of that the rear camber curve under compression is more agressive then the front. They really should allow adjustable camber arms AT LEAST in the front to dial in a fair amount of negative, and they SHOULD allow rear arms too so camber can be dialed out.

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    What are the differences between the chassis (not engine, I know about that one)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    Wider track, reduced height, shorter wheelbase, better brakes and stiffer. Though you might know about the engine difference it is around 40 wheel hp from what I hear. The 350z always seemed a bit weak sauce in the real world compared to on paper.
    this is correct,but the difference go significantly deeper then that, the suspension geometry differences and chassis/suspension build construction are leaps better then 350. The The whole front suspension/subframe configuration is much simpler then the 350, less compliance points and a much better camber curve, minimal bump steer from proper control arm/steering arm angle position, and better caster behavior. Plus the front control arms and subframe are built really well mostly being forged aluminum. Also, the front wheel bearings and hubs are much bigger/stronger which was a common 350z issue with big/sticky rubber. now the BIG difference is the rear suspension, 350 has alot of rear anti-squat tuned it to it from the angles of the rear suspension arms, the rear subframe of the 370 is completely changed with different arm angles for significatnly reduced anti squat for much better rear end traction, which was a common 350 Z issue especially 350s with big power. The 370 has more in common with the modern day GTR in the chassis/suspension geo department then a 350z, only things 370 and 350 share are the R200 rear diff, and the clutch/flywheel. Like i said ive driven both 350 and 370, and they are not even close to the same car dynamically. on top of all of this the 370s variable valve timing motor makes a much wider power band.

this is mostly a cliff notes version, if you want more in depth explanation of the chassis/suspension, this is a great link

Nissan 370Z Review; Suspension > 370z.com > 370z.com - Magazine
    Last edited by GreyFocus; 02-05-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Liked
    103 times

reading over the rules some more im not pleased with other things as well, such as the requirement to run a 18x9 up front and a 18x10 in rear, yet the required size is the R1 in 275/35/18 all around....why not either allow the narrow 265/35/18 as its a better fit for the 18x9, or allow 18x10 all around to fit the 275s already required all around? Also, why use the BFG R1 when the RA1 is available in the same 275/35/18 size and cheaper/longer wearing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast