+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mazda Announces Global MX-5 Cup Race Car Pricing

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    (dickhead time)
    Silly, but incredibly relevent. Why buy a MX-5 GCC or NP01 when there is already a much more competitive class you can do well in for 1/4-1/3 the price?
    I will take "What is a professional racing series for $500 Alex?"

A SM is a $25-30k endeavor if you want to win the Runoffs. And that is not the same as Pro. Sure you can build a junker and run around the middle of the pack at local stuff, not sure how that compares in the slightest to the Global Cup? Is that like saying a Spec Boxster is a better deal than a GT3 Cup car?

Ask the guys that are currently in MX-5 Cup what they spent to buy/build a car in the early days, they were all in the $45-50k range. In recent years the cost of entry had become more reasonable as the cost of the donor chassis dropped, but you still had to buy all of the spec parts.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

From the peeps I know that are involved in a build it will be more than 100 hrs. Depends on how detail oriented you are and how many corners you choose to cut. I would consider 100 hrs the bare minimum WAG. It will probably end up being more. So 10k is a good number for spit balling. That puts a running NPO1 at 75k then?

100 hours at $100/hr so $10K?
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    From the peeps I know that are involved in a build it will be more than 100 hrs. Depends on how detail oriented you are and how many corners you choose to cut. I would consider 100 hrs the bare minimum WAG. It will probably end up being more. So 10k is a good number for spit balling. That puts a running NPO1 at 75k then?
    $100/hr is pretty generous. I think I could find people that would do a big chunk of it for brats and beer, TBH.
    slodrew likes this.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by RacerJason99 View Post
    I will take "What is a professional racing series for $500 Alex?"

A SM is a $25-30k endeavor if you want to win the Runoffs. And that is not the same as Pro. Sure you can build a junker and run around the middle of the pack at local stuff, not sure how that compares in the slightest to the Global Cup? Is that like saying a Spec Boxster is a better deal than a GT3 Cup car?

Ask the guys that are currently in MX-5 Cup what they spent to buy/build a car in the early days, they were all in the $45-50k range. In recent years the cost of entry had become more reasonable as the cost of the donor chassis dropped, but you still had to buy all of the spec parts.
    SM travel budget is much lower Not everyone needs to be a "pro".

Liked
    34 times

SM travel budget is much lower Not everyone needs to be a "pro".
    The Global car may not be for you, does not make it a bad value for its given purpose.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

100/hr is a pretty standard rate for race shops these days. Usually its more. Pro race shops have tools and skills that the average burger flipper won't have which will make their effort much cleaner and more efficient. TComparing a pro built MX5 cup car to a home built NP01 that isn't really a valid comparison. Two entirely different cars and target audiences. I believe Elan will deliver an assembled NP01 for 75k so avoiding the assembly process altogether is an option. It will be interesting to see what an actual build of an NP01 takes for an 'average guy' vs the 80-100 hr build time that the press release indicated.

Both cars are a bargain at these price points but they are targeted at very different clientele. If you are looking for budget racing neither of these is for you. A home built SPM, SM, SE46, PTx, or any number of other classes are less expensive and will provide plenty of competition. It is great that there are some 'off the shelf' race cars (MX5, NP01, BMW) that are within reach of the club racer financially these days. Fun to dicker about 'what ifs'.

$100/hr is pretty generous. I think I could find people that would do a big chunk of it for brats and beer, TBH.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    1429 times

100/hr is a pretty standard rate for race shops these days. Usually its more. Pro race shops have tools and skills that the average burger flipper won't have which will make their effort much cleaner and more efficient. TComparing a pro built MX5 cup car to a home built NP01 that isn't really a valid comparison. Two entirely different cars and target audiences. I believe Elan will deliver an assembled NP01 for 75k so avoiding the assembly process altogether is an option. It will be interesting to see what an actual build of an NP01 takes for an 'average guy' vs the 80-100 hr build time that the press release indicated.

Both cars are a bargain at these price points but they are targeted at very different clientele. If you are looking for budget racing neither of these is for you. A home built SPM, SM, SE46, PTx, or any number of other classes are less expensive and will provide plenty of competition. It is great that there are some 'off the shelf' race cars (MX5, NP01, BMW) that are within reach of the club racer financially these days. Fun to dicker about 'what ifs'.

Yep. I think it's very much a good thing that each of these cars are being offered, and are a great option for a certain demographic, I just enjoy turning the rubiks cube around to look at it all from different angles.

Liked
    854 times

. . . . A home built SPM, SM, SE46, PTx, or any number of other classes are less expensive and will provide plenty of competition. . . .
    Understatement of the month!

Liked
    1486 times

A home built SPM, SM, SE46, PTx, or any number of other classes are less expensive and will provide plenty of competition.
    I thought SE46 was a sparsely populated class in Socal? What kind of participation numbers are you seeing?

Liked
    2242 times

I think Spec E46 is going to be popular. There were 10 at the Western States Championships.

Liked
    641 times

^^^Yup, the cars are getting cheap now and have decent handling and power. I would actually consider building one if I like the spec classes.

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

Norcal is overrun with SE46's - we're averaging around 10 cars per event at present.

Liked
    1486 times

Awesome! Are they letting SMG's play too for older arthritic drivers

Liked
    34 times

Reportedly the first batch of 50 Global cars have been sold, with the majority going to existing MX-5 Cup teams.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2