Thread: Marussia and Caterham will miss US GP

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

Default Marussia and Caterham will miss US GP

Liked
    2356 times

From another story on BBC.com:

This season has seen the introduction of new environmentally-friendly engines, which have more relevance to the road car industry but are double the cost of the previous units.

Mosley believes it's not a coincidence that some of the smaller teams are struggling following the increase in engine costs.

"I'm in favour of the greener engines," he said. "The mistake was not saying to the big manufacturers that you can spend as much as you want on research but the maximum you can charge per season is something like 3-4m instead of the 15-20m, which I believe it is now."

It's interesting that Marussia and Caterham didn't need to enter "administration," which I assume is English for bankruptcy proceedings, when F1 was using the old V8s.

Liked
    2085 times

I hope I'm not the only one that finds it incredible that Mosley is getting interviewed by anyone about F1.

Liked
    609 times

While Max has a few...well... foibles ... that I strongly disagree with, he's a very intelligent man that is passionate about Formula 1, so I'm not surprised at all.

Steve
    hakeem likes this.

Liked
    2085 times

Yeah, but it's a bit like interviewing Flavio B. about proper racing etiquette.. or Amir on how to build a reliable car.. Or asking William on why buying cars is a bad idea.
    Ol' Max has more than a hand in why F1 management failed to make new teams stick around.

Liked
    145 times

Makes one wonder how many more could disappear in the comming year. The teams at he front of the field can afford to spend hundreds of millions to stay in the top 3 and aren't going anywhere soon. It's the back of the grid thats hurting, I really don't want to see F1 turn in to a a sport dominated by who can spend the most money to win but sadly that's where the most development happens.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    609 times

I was playing around with Netflix today and watched the beginning of Senna, and it struck me how many teams from the 1980s and 1990 failed as well -- even teams that had success and championships in addition to teams in the midpack. Lotus, Brabham, Ligier, Arrows, Alfa Romeo... just to name a few.

Honestly, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that what we are seeing today is the same thing we've always seem, regards of rights, rules, aero packages... it's the circle of horsepower...

Steve
    Johns_EvoIXSE likes this.

Liked
    89 times

It's a tough line to walk. You want to keep the MFG happy's since they are essentially investing in R&D, but at the same time you need to contain costs to prevent things like this from happening. It's a tough situation.
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

+ Reply to Thread