• 1 Post By Johnny_Se7en
  • 3 Post By Blackbird
  • 1 Post By thepass

Thread: Mark Weber's Nightmare?

Liked
    887 times

Default Mark Weber's Nightmare?

The Toyota TS040 Hybrid Le Mans Racer is Testing Next-Gen Prius Tech

The TS 030 enduro machine just became the TS 040.

Toyota claims better fuel efficiency and a boost from 750 to 1,000 hp. Should be a good series to follow.

2015 FIA World Endurance Championship Calendar Unveiled | FIA World Endurance Championship

toyota-ts040-hybrid-race-car.jpg

btw: I think someone in this forum explained it: but what is the thinking behind the non-aero, upright headlights? No mention in the otherwise very informative summary for lasts year's all new cars in the link below:

FIA WEC: LMP1 regulations for 2014 | News | Motorsport.com
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 11-10-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Liked
    145 times

Man, how ugly can a car get.
    bawareca likes this.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

Did someone go back in time?
    The TS 040 has been running the entire 2014 season already and as this "new" report claims, is making ~1000 ponies (combined ICE and elect power units).
    I can't remember the exact explanation, but the very upright headlight design had something to do with the new regulations requiring a larger hole above the front wheel (which prevents the cars from getting airborne).
    IF I recall correctly, the idea was to force the air flow around the holes to limit the negative effect of the holes on the aerodynamic performance.

These cars, BTW, have been rocket-fast, it's almost comical to watch them cutting through traffic -
    Toyota Hybrid pulled out to overtake in the traffic - WEC 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps - YouTube

Liked
    672 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    btw: I think someone in this forum explained it: but what is the thinking behind the non-aero, upright headlights? No mention in the otherwise very informative summary for lasts year's all new cars in the link below:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I can't remember the exact explanation, but the very upright headlight design had something to do with the new regulations requiring a larger hole above the front wheel (which prevents the cars from getting airborne).
    IF I recall correctly, the idea was to force the air flow around the holes to limit the negative effect of the holes on the aerodynamic performance.
    Also-

Lower drag than forcing the air up and over. Vertical light "pod" for lack of a better word can be almost airfoil shaped when looking @ it from above.

-Ryan
    Mr. T likes this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

+ Reply to Thread