+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: International Speedway Corp. Negotiating to Operate MRLS

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Unless you have a tweaked rotary, it's not too terribly difficult to meet sound requirements at MRLS. Lots of guys showed up early for the Western States Championships to practice MRLS with a track day group. Everyone bolted on an additional muffler and went out and had fun, no problem.

Nearly every time I have gone there has been a high-sound-level day. The limited number of high-decibel days is not that big of an inconvenience.

We have a dirt oval here in Ventura and I can hear it from my house. We heard it during our wedding up at Grant Park. Sometimes I'm into it. Other times I'm glad they run mufflers.
    Alot of motorcycles have trouble making the sound limit. Many bone-stock bikes will trip the db meter.

Still, happy to deal with that and keep it public than have it owned/run by ISC.

Liked
    24 times

The limited number of high-decibel days is not that big of an inconvenience.
    I have no idea how you can say that. The noise issue has been a major pain in the ass for a very long time. There are plenty of organizations in Northern California alone that would like to race there but cannot. I know hundreds of people that would love to drive there in their race cars/bikes but cannot.
    Scott Winders
    PRC GTL #3

Liked
    47 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Just signed it!
    J. Tyler likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2267 times

Some intetesting additional insights into the situation.

Viewpoints - PRUETT: The bewildering battle for Laguna Seca
    passmenow likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1838 times

^ Best article I've read to date about the situation.
    It's a broken system that convinces itself that they are doing fine and it's everyone elses' fault.
    Sad.

Liked
    2214 times

Quote Originally Posted by winders View Post
    I have no idea how you can say that. The noise issue has been a major pain in the ass for a very long time. There are plenty of organizations in Northern California alone that would like to race there but cannot. I know hundreds of people that would love to drive there in their race cars/bikes but cannot.
    I live in SoCal, so I only get up to MRLS about once a year, so I that likely is skewing my perspective. Every time I've been there, it has been a 103 dbA day.

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times

If Laguna were sound free it would be my favorite Ca track.

The DB limiting culture at Laguna Seca is sometimes unsafe.

1. Cars are seen with exhaust pipe elbows hanging off the sides and rear bumpers of cars.
    Super traps sticking off the side of car can hook the fender of another car creating dangerous consequences.

2. Plus the back pressure of the Laguna only muffler systems create added and sometime extreme heat inside the cars.

3. The sound booth between t5/t6 requires marginal cars to slow down and drive on the left side to get by the sound booth.
    This creates a dangerous situation as loud cars lift and drive off line during a race while trying to keep their position.
    Quiet cars see the sound booth straight as an opportunity to pass the louder cars. lol

My 640hp V8 car with muffler did 115db at Laguna Seca, I can only go there on sound free days.

Luckily the So Cal tracks are all sound free….so far.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

Quote Originally Posted by passmenow View Post
    My 640hp V8 car with muffler did 115db at Laguna Seca

All hail the new track record.
    robburgoon and ucfbrett like this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post

All hail the new track record.
    Good Idea.

Brett, make a forum subsection for "Top 25" sound db at Laguna Seca.
    ucfbrett, Pure EvoIX and passmenow like this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    45 times

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Gee, could it be that asinine, nonsensical and unfair regulations drive businesses away? No ****ing way!
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1405 times

What a joke! Monterrey Board ask SCRAMP to submit a proposal to continue running MRLS. If I was SCRAMP this would be my proposal. "Board you stabbed us in the back looking for a better deal. The biggest name in for profit racing basically walked away because they can't make a profit. Board you are stuck with SCRAMP so go fiddle yourselves."

Liked
    2214 times

This is a positive development for racing and track day organizations that stage races at MRLS. I have heard from more than one good source that dealing with ISC to rent a facility can be difficult and more costly than when tracks were under different management.

Liked
    226 times

I don't see how any big player could make a lot of money with Laguna Seca, with all the noise restriction days. No sound limit? I am sure ISC would have been able to work something out.

Working with any level of government can be a royal pain in the ass. We spent a number of years negotiating with San Bernadino county to be able to use the police training facility for our driving schools. Finally, we got the go ahead, and received about a 15 page contract to rent the facility. Willow Springs' contract has "grown" to 2 pages now. The county document was all about liability and insurance, except for one page. We had to have an attorney review it. When we sent it back, we got a thank you letter saying they changed their mind and the deal was off. Yet they are bankrupt!
    ucfbrett and bawareca like this.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    226 times

Was talking to Judy Varley today at the track about our event planned for December. Asked her how things were going. Apparently the county has a new guy in charge of the parks department who wants to make a name for himself, and the county is once again soliciting bids for someone new to come in and take over the track management from SCRAMP. The RFP must be interesting reading because Judy indicated that the county folks are clueless about what it takes to run the track. She said they want to have a new management company nailed down by October or so, so that they can transition them in time for the 2017 calendar.

Did I detect a certain amount of bitterness in Judy's tone and remarks? Apparently a whole lot of politics involved. New parks guy wants to build an empire?
    Terry Watson

Liked
    110 times

Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    Was talking to Judy Varley today at the track about our event planned for December. Asked her how things were going. Apparently the county has a new guy in charge of the parks department who wants to make a name for himself, and the county is once again soliciting bids for someone new to come in and take over the track management from SCRAMP. The RFP must be interesting reading because Judy indicated that the county folks are clueless about what it takes to run the track. She said they want to have a new management company nailed down by October or so, so that they can transition them in time for the 2017 calendar.

Did I detect a certain amount of bitterness in Judy's tone and remarks? Apparently a whole lot of politics involved. New parks guy wants to build an empire?
    The only way it will be successful of they open the DB some. Terry, can we should have a "prius" class for the Dec event.

Liked
    2214 times

Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    New parks guy wants to build an empire?
    Then he should go into the private sector.

Liked
    721 times

The track would have to go private to live, even then it's a tough call.

Nascar owns Road Atlanta. The area growing up around it are pretty swanky mcmansions and such, and people are complaining about the noise. It costs a LOT to rent RA, but the facilities are decent.

I know a few tracks that have noise restrictions, but not as tough as Seca.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    73 times

Having worked at the Jim Russell School when we were at Laguna and dealing through the first big push on sound limits being imposed by the county, then getting the boot when Skip Barber wanted to start operating out of Laguna I'll offer my thoughts on all this mess...

It's a mess... lol

Being serious, I think they are at a crossroads of what type of motorsports facility they want to be, they do need improvements in many aspects if being a world class facility again is what they aspire too or are they happy being a less than world class track but one that's still capable of bringing in everything but the big time events.

Once they answer that question the they can address whether SCRAMP is the group that's capable of running the show or would another group with deeper pockets be better for the track, problem is I'm not sure anyone has clearly outlined a vision for the tracks future...

Liked
    226 times

Then he should go into the private sector.
    Nope. Private sector you actually have to do work. Get a government job and create "needs".
    ucfbrett and bawareca like this.
    Terry Watson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast