+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: International Speedway Corp. Negotiating to Operate MRLS

Liked
    2280 times

Default International Speedway Corp. Negotiating to Operate MRLS

From our friends at Performance Racing Industry. Not much detail, but worth noting.

International Speedway Corporation Negotiating To Operate Mazda Raceway At Laguna Seca | Performance Racing Industry

The Monterey Board of Supervisors late mast month revealed plans to discuss an agreement regarding the track in closed session. The Supervisors' agenda listed International Speedway Corp. as the negotiating party, and stated that price and terms are under negotiation.

International Speedway Corp. owns 12 tracks that host NASCAR Sprint Cup races, including Daytona International Speedway, Darlington Raceway and Talladega Superspeedway. ISC tracks also host other events, including the IMSA Tudor United SportsCar Championship.

The Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula, a non-profit which has operated the track since its inception in November 1957, has been managing the raceway on a monthly basis since March 2014.

Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca is an 11-turn, 2.238-mile road course covering 542 acres along California’s central coast. Its most famous section is turns 8 and 8A, commonly referred to as The Corkscrew, which features a drop of 59 feet in elevation while competitors make a hard left and then a hard right.

Among those who have raced at the track include Stirling Moss, who won the inaugural Pacific Grand Prix and was the event’s only two-time winner. The 1962 Pacific Grand Prix had a starting lineup that included Roger Penske, Bruce McLaren, Dan Gurney, Graham Hill, Jim Hall and Jack Brabham. Others who later raced there included Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Mark Donohue, Parenlli Jones and Mario Andretti, who made the 1994 CART race there his last race.

The NASCAR Grand National West Tour raced there in 1973. Bobby Allison competed in the 1981 NASCAR Winston West race there. The first CART race there was 1983.

The track will host the Pirelli World Challenge in September.

Liked
    1478 times

NASCAR at Laguna Seca? That would be rich . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1555 times

The residents already hate MRLS. What will those treehuggers do once they find out SCRAMP won't be giving millions of dollars annually to the Monterrey county parks? Could this get ugly?
    bawareca likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2466 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    The resident already hate MRLS. What will those treehuggers do once they find out SCRAMP won't be giving millions of dollars annually to the Monterrey county parks? Could this get ugly?
    ftfy

My guess is that ISC, being a successful and profitable company, would not be making these inquiries unless they had long since done the research to plan ways around any obstacles to profitability. IOW, I think they probably have a plan in place.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1478 times

^^^Emilio -

Right you are. The noise injunction against Laguna Seca was obtained by ONE GUY who bought his house knowing full well the racetrack as already there . . .

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2280 times

This will be interesting to watch. I was just at Lime Rock this weekend, and that track was built in 1954, but unlike the situation at many tracks around the country, most of houses around Lime rock were already built, including the church just across the road.

I was chatting with a photographer at the track, and he told me Lime Rock has been operating under an injunction since it opened. Even today, there is no racing on Sunday, and the noise requirements are, I think, 86 or 89 decibels, which is pretty quiet.

MRLS is a bit different, but it is another track that the motorsports community, not to mention Mazda, would never want to see go away, recalcitrant neighbors notwithstanding.

Liked
    242 times

Brett, how'd you like LRP? I grew up around 40 miles away. It's one of my favorite tracks. Did you get to drive?

Oh, LRP held races on Sundays for much of its existence. The "no racing on Sunday" thing came about in the 80s or 90s when Skip Barber still owned the track.
    Last edited by MikeColangelo; 07-07-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Liked
    2280 times

This just in:

The following is an open letter to the public from Gregg Curry, SCRAMP Board President:

Dear Neighbors and Friends,

The Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula (SCRAMP) built what is known today as Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in 1957. Laguna Seca was created by a Federal Land grant to provide a safe and dedicated facility for racing. The land was originally a part of Ford Ord but was deeded to the county in 1974 to administer the land with a concession agreement to operate the facility with SCRAMP.

SCRAMP is a non-profit organization that has served the community for nearly 60 years, which annually donates more than $250,000 of its proceeds to 60-70 local charities and civic organizations. SCRAMP has grown from presenting a single motor sports event in 1957 to annually producing five major events which generate a $200 million economic benefit forMonterey County.

More than 300 local community members annually commit thousands of hoursvolunteering at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca for the love of motorsports in Monterey County. We are a local, active and highly visible member of the community dedicated to bringing world-class racing events to the Monterey Peninsula -- benefitting our race fans, sponsors, charitable organizations and our community.

SCRAMP has invested more than $50 million in the Laguna Seca facility, and we continue to be committed to upgrading Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to enhance the overall experience for spectators, sponsors, participants and visitors.

Since January 2014, the Monterey County Board of Supervisors has conducted closed-session meetings to discuss a new Concession Agreement without SCRAMP’s knowledge. These closed-session meetings resulted in the Board of Supervisors entering into a 90-day due diligence agreement with International Speedway Corporation (ISC) to take over management and operation of the raceway. ISC is a for-profit, publicly traded corporation based in Daytona Beach,Fla., whose primary business is the ownership and management of NASCAR race tracks.

SCRAMP is requesting a fair and open process where we be given equal consideration to continue to improve and manage operations of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and that this process be held in the open with the benefit of public participation and review.

We urge you to contact your Monterey County Supervisor to support and request consideration of SCRAMP to keep revenue local for the benefit of our community and to continue the legacy SCRAMP established in 1957. We, your neighbors and friends, ask for your support.

Liked
    428 times

We, your neighbors and friends, ask for your support.
    Aren't their neighbors the ones who built/bought their houses next to a race track and then complain about the noise level?
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    2280 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Brett, how'd you like LRP? I grew up around 40 miles away. It's one of my favorite tracks. Did you get to drive?

Oh, LRP held races on Sundays for much of its existence. The "no racing on Sunday" thing came about in the 80s or 90s when Skip Barber still owned the track.
    Sorry, Mike. I just saw your question.

I drove Lime Rock in an HPDE session in my rented Kia something-or-another. The track is very short, and everyone knows that, but the surface is darn near perfect and despite the dearth of corners, it's a tricky track. The elevation changes make it like Willow Springs, 20 minutes to learn, a lifetime to master.

Liked
    2280 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    Aren't their neighbors the ones who built/bought their houses next to a race track and then complain about the noise level?
    As I understand it, there is a "vocal minority."

Liked
    1478 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    It's one guy who got the noise injunction . . .

Liked
    1555 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    It's one guy who got the noise injunction . . .
    How does one guy have so much power?

In our neighborhood there is one woman who seems to have the power to get the city to mandate other owner's trim trees to her liking! How do things like that happen?

Liked
    2280 times

^^ That's the vocal in vocal minority.

Liked
    560 times

Blowjobs. Lots and lots of blowjobs.

Steve
    slodrew and Fabman like this.

Liked
    119 times

In our neighborhood there is one woman who seems to have the power to get the city to mandate other owner's trim trees to her liking! How do things like that happen?
    Squeaky wheel gets the grease. The person complaining is louder than the ones that have no complaint, so they appease the one thus ignoring the many!

Liked
    145 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    Blowjobs. Lots and lots of blowjobs.

Steve
    Was it Rod Stewart?

j/k
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    165 times

I hope things stay the way they are (i.e., publicly-owned) and that they keep ISC out of Monterey. Laguna is a great public space and yes, the noise restrictions for track days are a pain in the ass, but I'd much rather it stay public than see it taken over by ISC.

Liked
    2280 times

Unless you have a tweaked rotary, it's not too terribly difficult to meet sound requirements at MRLS. Lots of guys showed up early for the Western States Championships to practice MRLS with a track day group. Everyone bolted on an additional muffler and went out and had fun, no problem.

Nearly every time I have gone there has been a high-sound-level day. The limited number of high-decibel days is not that big of an inconvenience.

We have a dirt oval here in Ventura and I can hear it from my house. We heard it during our wedding up at Grant Park. Sometimes I'm into it. Other times I'm glad they run mufflers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast