Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bellwilliam
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By wagnerov

Thread: Indycar Fontana Controversial Victory

Liked
    80 times

Default Indycar Fontana Controversial Victory

Well, it was entertaining to watch Indycar this past weekend in Fontana. However, I was some what disgusted with the result.

The video below shows what happened to Graham Rahal's pit stop (the video of the pit stop starts at 0:30). The fuel hose nozzle was ripped and there were fuel everywhere, the fuel nozzle later fell on the track. The pit stop happened at lap 187 of 250. Well, Rahal did not get any penalty (Usually they get a drive through) in the race, instead Indycar officials decided to give a post race penalty so it wouldn't affect the outcome of the race. In the end, Rahal scored the victory, because of no penalty. What's everyone's opinion on this?

2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 - Daily
    2017 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins - Tow Truck
    2017 Shelby GT350 - Track Car / Weekend Cruiser
    1999 SuperMiata Super - W2W Race Car

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

I wondered about the result also. In my opinion he should have received a stop and go penalty for the infraction at least. None of this waiting until after the race stuff. It will be interesting to see if Indycar has the cojones to deal with this now.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    2533 times

All I see is empty grand stand !!
    MikeColangelo likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    609 times

As much as I do want to point at the Rahal situation, it is actually consistent with other situations this year, such as JPM's running over the air hose at Indy.

But I agree, the crowd was terrible. IMO, Fontana has been a quagmire, period -- even NASCAR is a struggle there, and it wouldn't shock me if it goes off their schedule as well within the next year or two.

Steve

Liked
    693 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    All I see is Toyota Mirai It will haunt me for a very long time
    markn likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

You are right, I completely forgot about the air hose deal.

Fontana in June, in the middle of the day. Smoking hot. No wonder people stayed home. If it HAS to be in June it should be a night race at least. What were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    As much as I do want to point at the Rahal situation, it is actually consistent with other situations this year, such as JPM's running over the air hose at Indy.

But I agree, the crowd was terrible. IMO, Fontana has been a quagmire, period -- even NASCAR is a struggle there, and it wouldn't shock me if it goes off their schedule as well within the next year or two.

Steve
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    56 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Supposedly the spectator count was 3,000!!!

Liked
    45 times

I honestly don't care about the Rahal decision, the action in the race overshadows it. His crew made the mistake more than anything he did.

I was in the stands for the race and while it was a mildly humid 90 degrees outside, it really wasn't that bad (and the forecast was around there for at least a week before). The only time there was some broiling was when the sun peeked out from behind the clouds and the light breeze died down, which only happened for a few minutes at a time. Frankly it was no worse than Sonoma can be in July and August. I've been to many IMSA July races there where the temperature was 104+...somehow tens of thousands would show up for those races and not die of heat stroke in the good ol' days.

Those few of us that were there had no complaints about the race itself. It was many times better to watch in person than to watch on TV (or DVR in my case). The emotion from the crowd, small that it was, was palpable. It was my first visit to a superspeedway race and now I'm making plans to go to Indy next year.
    SteveLevin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread