Liked
    2361 times

Default Honda's F1 Engine Detail Photos

Liked
    1485 times

??? That's from 2008.

2014 F1 Engine - Explained - YouTube

As you know:

2014 Formula One engines. In 2014 F1 cars will be powered by 1.6L V6 turbocharged engines revving up to 15,000 RPM. The new F1 engines will also incorporate ERS, or energy recovery systems. The technology is ever improving for more advanced vehicles that operate at increased efficiencies. ERS is made up of multiple systems. MGU-H, MGU-K, and Energy storage will all play a critical role in increasing the efficiency of the vehicles, and adding an additional 160 HP for 33 seconds per lap on the track.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2591 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ??? That's from 2008.

2014 F1 Engine - Explained - YouTube

As you know:

2014 Formula One engines. In 2014 F1 cars will be powered by 1.6L V6 turbocharged engines revving up to 15,000 RPM. The new F1 engines will also incorporate ERS, or energy recovery systems. The technology is ever improving for more advanced vehicles that operate at increased efficiencies. ERS is made up of multiple systems. MGU-H, MGU-K, and Energy storage will all play a critical role in increasing the efficiency of the vehicles, and adding an additional 160 HP for 33 seconds per lap on the track.
    Wouldn't expect you to understand. The specs on F1's anything more than about 20 years old have been closely guarded secrets for a long time. Much speculation, but no pics or hard numbers. The internals of the Cosworth and Honda engines floating around this week are really the first genuine images and specifications of the internals of a modern F1 engine. Quite a revelation if you are a gearhead.

Hondas info actually lists engineering revisions and materials mixed in with Kanji characters, stuff like "BeCu50" (copper beryllium valve guides and seats). And oh those ports, lawdy.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2361 times

This kind of technology is closely guarded. When I was shooting a story for Speed News at HPD in Valencia, I was asked not to take any photos of a number of things we saw that day, particularly the lab where they did material and failure analysis.

I was also promptly and courteously asked to leave the dyno room when I entered it with my camera.

With regard to the ports, I really dig how the valve guides do not intrude in the the throats at all.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2591 times

Ports. Incredibly steep included valve angle. Teeny combustion chamber.
    zuphv8j.jpg

Unbelievably compact and lightweight piston rings. I didn't know what these were at first. "Why are they showing pics of retaining rings?"

zuphv8k.jpg

Interesting that they are using garden variety 2618 alloy, just like the Wiseco's in my Miata.
    zuphv8i.jpg

What's weird in this pic is the earlier engines having larger exhaust than intake valves. I can only assume this is back when variable valve timing allowed them to achieve the needed curtain area by keeping the intake open longer or something.

zuphv8u.jpg
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Kam
    Liked
    90 times

cool stuff, thanks for sharing
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

+ Reply to Thread