Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: F1 United States Grand Prix for Dummies Guide, November 18th

Liked
    1485 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    William Chen, adrenaline junkie.
    You guys are drunk.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

MJM
    Liked
    9 times

A few things:

The track is going to be phenomal. I've been out there several times since the announcement a few years ago, the elevation changes are incredible.

Unfortunately, the visionary racer who started the thing was pushed out by the financiers and the ticket pricing structure reflects that. PSL's are what they are pushing hard (think a season ticket but you have to pay extra for the ticket). They claim the tickets are sold out, but groups of tickets keep showing up indicating it is all marketing and sales BS.

They periodically have 'ticket availability' and some of the prices are lower than what is on the website. Your best bet is to sign up for emails on their website then when you receive an email give them feedback. A sales guy will email you 'special offers'. Give him a call and do your best shady used car salesman bargaining to find out what is really available.

The roads around the track are third world. It is a rural area with two lane farm to market roads once you get off the 130 tollway. Don't get me wrong, the people are honest and friendly but it is not Dallas or Houston or San Antonio. You won't have to deal with the roads because everyone has to take a shuttle bus (unless you buy the expensive PSLs and pay extra for a parking spot). There are only two shuttle bus loading points. One is in downtown Austin focused on the people staying in hotels and the other is at the expo center east of town. My advice is to arrive very early.

If you want lodging IN Austin be ready to pay $300-600 per night. Homeaway is based in Austin and there are quite a few houses for rent if that's what you want. You can also try airbnb.

If you don't mind a 1-2 hour drive find a hotel room in the surrounding hill country for around $60-100.

I could go on and on but those are the basics. I'll be there all week walking the track and eventually setting into my seats in turn 5. Oh, and the talk about track days is all BS at this point. When you press them for details in writing (they claim purchasing a PSL gets you priority for track days) they admit they don't have anything firmed up.

The good news is that November in Texas is hunting season so you can combine that with your F1 experience if you want.

Oh, camping is not allowed at the track. They only have about 70 RV spots and they want $15,000. Per year. No joke.

Liked
    1485 times

^^^ Sounds like they are looking for big time suckers. I ain't one. I'll watch the race on TV.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2357 times

Quote Originally Posted by Neocataboi View Post
    My kid was born 19 days ago, i feel i wont have any free time to do anything for the next million years!!! (she decided to come a week before the due date, soo you might not want to push your luck...)
    The feeling you have is accurate.

Liked
    2357 times

It sure seems like there should be a way to do this on a budget. A few years back, I made some calls to Monterey to see how much hotel rooms were during the Historics races. They were, well, a lot. About $300 a night if I remember right.

So, I just got out a map and started calling hotels one town away, then two towns, then three and so on till I found the $79 a night I was willing to spend. I ended up saying in Soledad, which is about 40 minutes from Mazda Raceway. It was a tolerable drive and priced right, especially since I all I did was sleep in the hotel for eight hours, then check out.

Liked
    1485 times

^^^ Soledad? Yeah, they don't charge too much for hotels next to the State Prison.

Liked
    450 times

"it's happening in soledad"

I have a friend in Houston I was contemplating asking if I could crash at his place if I went but 3 hours is a little too far just to save on hotel money.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

MJM
    Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    It sure seems like there should be a way to do this on a budget.
    Southwest airlines round trip $350

General admission 3 day pass $159

Motel 6 for 3 nights $150

Rental car for 3 days $150

With money for gas and food you could probably do this for less than $1,000 if you don't mind a couple of hour commute involving a drive from one of the many small towns in the area and a shuttle bus ride. Take more people and split the motel, car, and gas costs.

Liked
    70 times

My kid was born 19 days ago, i feel i wont have any free time to do anything for the next million years!!! (she decided to come a week before the due date, soo you might not want to push your luck...)
    congrats manny! looks like you won't be crewing for 949 for a while
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    116 times

Quote Originally Posted by DutchOven View Post
    congrats manny! looks like you won't be crewing for 949 for a while
    Thanks! I sure will be. The kid came during the off season. By the time the season starts up again she'll require less maintainince. So being gone for a weekend won't be an issue. Plus I've made a commitment to the team, and I can't back out on a deal (not like I would anyways, this would be a vacation for me).

Liked
    1485 times

By the time the season starts up again she'll require less maintainince. So being gone for a weekend won't be an issue.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's the funniest thing I have heard in a very long time.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    1 times

Not very happy about hotel prices, but very excited to go. I got my turn 12 seats, row 4 in the pre sale. Only a few months left!

Liked
    1 times

Not very happy about hotel prices, but very excited to go. I got my turn 12 seats, row 4 in the pre sale. Only a few months left!

Liked
    10 times

William, Ron may be interested, he was talking about last time I visited.
    Jaku 峠

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by GJTRacer View Post
    those are the seats I tried to get but was too late...ended up in turn 3...not the best but will probably spend time wandering all over the place for a lot of it.

we definitely need to get a gathering of trackhq folk together in Austin

Liked
    103 times

ill be there, already have my ticket and flight. a group of friends of mine and me are picthing in on a house to stay at for the duration of the event. way cheaper then hotel, and will prolly be more fun LOL

Liked
    2357 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Soledad? Yeah, they don't charge too much for hotels next to the State Prison.
    I didn't even know about the "corrections facility." We arrived at 10 p.m., left at 7:30. Phew.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser View Post
    those are the seats I tried to get but was too late...ended up in turn 3...not the best but will probably spend time wandering all over the place for a lot of it.

we definitely need to get a gathering of trackhq folk together in Austin
    Sounds like a plan. I will be there from late Tuesday night until Monday afternoon. If anyone wants to get a get together we can try to arrange something.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    ill be there, already have my ticket and flight. a group of friends of mine and me are picthing in on a house to stay at for the duration of the event. way cheaper then hotel, and will prolly be more fun LOL
    This sounds like a better route to go

Liked
    165 times

Rather spend my money on Spa. Or Monza. Or Suzuka. Or Silverstone.

I'm sure Austin will be cheaper next year.

Liked
    116 times

Looking at this, i seriously think that it would be cheaper to simply go to the Montreal race. I see it being cheaper in almost every way. And Montreal isn't in Texas. Sooo many things i dont like about Texas. lol
    Richard EVO, bellwilliam and Red_5 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast