+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Breaking News: Mazda to Unveil New Sports Car Concept at Tokyo Motor Show

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    Looks an awful lot lke what a Mazda version of the Ferrari California ... not that it's bad, but it's got them big ol' birthing hips.

Steve
    Ain't a damn thing wrong with big ol' birthing hips-You never see a true artist like DaVinci with paintings full of "L.A. stick figures"! Just big ole' butts and a baby on the teet! ;-)

Liked
    94 times

Looks like a 2door Tesla to me.

Liked
    111 times

Sounds very speculative, but it wouldn´t surprise me.

TOKYO MOTOR SHOW: Mazda RX-9 rendered - motoring.com.au

Mazda’s last rotary car, the 1.3-litre RX-8 four-door 'coupe', went out of production in 2012. The RX-8 was a blast to drive and revved to 9000rpm, but lacked mid-range torque and consumed too much petrol and oil.
    To address those issues, our sources say Mazda is currently testing a new hybrid turbo rotary powerplant previously referred to as the ‘16X’ and boasting a twin 800cc rotor set-up expected to generate upwards of 335kW.

It's expected to do so with the assistance of a capacitor-powered electric turbocharger, but it's unclear whether Mazda will also apply the range-extending technology trialled in the previous-generation Mazda2/Demio EV concept, which would make it a plug-in hybrid.

As we reported earlier this year, Mazda engineers are working on a two-stage turbo system that incorporates an “electric turbo assist” function that engages at low rpm and a standard exhaust-driven turbo that cuts in at higher revs.

According to our sources, driving the e-turbo will be a capacitor (a unit that stores power and discharges it on demand) to beef up the rotary’s ‘instability’ at low rpm, while a conventional exhaust gas-driven turbocharger will engage to keep the flow of power coming as boost rises at higher revs.

To improve fuel economy and emissions, Mazda will incorporate homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI), which as we've reported will be the centerpiece of the second-generation SKYACTIV powertrain suite that will power the company's seventh-generation model range also due to appear around 2017.

Mimicking the diesel combustion process in a petrol engine, HCCI retains spark ignition at low revs but employs compression to ignite the fuel/air mix at higher revs, increasing combustion efficiency and emitting lower levels of Nitrogen Oxide (NOx). Unlike many car-makers that have tried but failed to implement HCCI technology in production cars, Mazda is confident it can overcome the pre-ignition or 'knocking' problems associated with HCCI technology.
    Less powah is better

Liked
    145 times

edit.
    Last edited by Johnny_Se7en; 10-18-2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Stated the obvious.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    2283 times

A November 2014 story in Automotive News quoted Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai. Some quotes that tell the tale about the prospects of a rotary car:

"It's difficult for us at present to further expand our lineup."

Despite being a signature car for Mazda, equipped with the brand's famed rotary engine, RX is dead for now, Kogai said.

"We don't have that kind of vehicle in our future product plan," he said. "If you increase the number of segments, then the resources we can allocate to each will decline and that will prevent us from developing truly good products."

That was a year ago. Even if things have changed, it's still difficult to get a rotary to pass emissions regulations. It this car makes it to production, i suspect it will have a piston engine.

Liked
    1433 times

Wouldn't put it past them to build a rotary concept car just to remind everyone that they are still plenty dangerous and crazy.

Liked
    716 times

Sounds like it will be a rotary.

Mazda confirms new rotary-engined sports car concept | Autocar

Mazda confirms new rotary-engined sports car concept
    Sports car concept will feature a new generation of rotary engine, officially named as SkyActiv-R

by Mark Tisshaw
    27 October 2015

Mazda has confirmed that its sports car concept headed to this week's Tokyo motor show will feature a new generation of rotary engine, and will have a two-door, two-seat design.

The new engine, which has been dubbed SkyActiv-R, was confirmed by the company's head of research and development Kiyoshi Fujiwara on the eve of the Tokyo show.

Speaking to Autocar, Fujiwara said: "People think rotary can not meet modern Eco demands. The SkyActiv engineers worked on rotary and have it cutting edge tech. It is an essential part of our DNA and it just be passed onto future engineers. It is synonymous with the brand. Some time in the future it will return and be called SkyActiv-R"

Mazda president and CEO Masamichi Kogai said: "It is a two-door, two-seater. It is a pure sports car design. We have MX-5 and another icon is a rotary sports car. We haven't talked about market reach but this would be in that segment." Mazda design boss Ikuo Maeda added that the concept "represents our dream, but we don't want it to be a dream too long."

Further hints as to concept's rotary power source came earlier this month when Mazda released details of other cars that will be shown on its stand, including the 967 Mazda Cosmo Sport 110S, the company’s first rotary powered mass-production model.

It was also confirmed earlier this year that Mazda still had a dedicated engineering team focussed on rotary engine development. Kogai said: "Initial targets for rotary were set higher than gasoline. I said before it would be difficult for mass production, and this encouraged our engineers to work harder to acheive these targets. I believe one day our engineers can overcome those challenges and meet targets.

"We want to have good communication with our fans on the concept. I'd like to know how great their expectations are. R&D are working very hard - the targets are strict, rotary engines have lots of issues, and we need to solve each of them. It's not just emissions, it's performance as well, and making it easy to maintain. A rotary engine is a difficult engine to solve all these problems.

"If I say anything about [launch] dates I put too much pressure on our engineers. I want to avoid putting pressure on them. I would like to hear feedback on the design of the vehicle. This is the design of a sports car that really encapsulates a front-engined rear-wheel drive car. It embodies a Mazda sports car."
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2283 times

This just in from Road and Track.

The internet has been buzzing with rumors about the sports car concept Mazda will be showing off at the Tokyo ​Motor Show this year. There's still a lot that's up in the air, but Mazda has finally answered one of the biggest questions.

The sports car concept it will be showing off does indeed have a rotary engine. That means many of us here will have to eat our hats, since we never believed the rotary would return. Hats are delicious, right?

Speaking to AutoCar, Mazda's R&D head Kiyoshi Fujiwara said the new engine has been given the name SkyActiv-R.

He then went onto say, "People think rotary can not meet modern Eco demands. The SkyActiv engineers worked on rotary and gave it cutting edge tech. It is an essential part of our DNA and it just be passed onto future engineers. It is synonymous with the brand. Some time in the future it will return and be called SkyActiv-R"​

Liked
    2283 times

landscape-1443620865-msc01.jpg
    Here's a larger photo, possibly retouched to show the tail lamps better.

Also, here's a link to the live-streamed unveiling:

Mazda to Unveil New Sports Car Concept at Tokyo Motor Show - Inside Mazda

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2471 times

Clif notes:

"We still can't figure out how to make rotaries work, but we'll spend all the money we don't have to keep trying. When and if we figure it out, we'll make this car. Anyway, it's a nice looking isn't it?" (sic)
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2283 times

I want one. Still.

Liked
    716 times

I can't really fit a new 2 seater in my life at the moment. An updated RX-8 would more likely work for me in a few years. Maybe it will have to be a new Camaro instead, the reviews on those have been pretty solid.

Liked
    561 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Sports car concept will feature a new generation of rotary engine, officially named as SkyActiv-R
    They should have blended the Wankel name in there and called it the ActivWank-R

Steve

Liked
    670 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Clif notes:

"We still can't figure out how to make rotaries work, but we'll spend all the money we don't have to keep trying. When and if we figure it out, we'll make this car. Anyway, it's a nice looking isn't it?" (sic)
    Perfectly summed-up. But they dont even have to spend time and money on a rotary development. Just keeping the myth alive would do.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Perfectly summed-up. But they dont even have to spend time and money on a rotary development. Just keeping the myth alive would do.
    We were talking about this at lunch. They get some media buzz from the story and that's worth something. Making smart, functional, attractive, reliable and fun to drive cars is boring.
    bawareca likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1433 times

This thing I'm feeling, this must be what older folks felt about MGs. Like a moth being dragged towards a flame.
    2GRX7 likes this.

Liked
    2283 times

I'm feeling it, too.

Liked
    716 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    This thing I'm feeling, this must be what older folks felt about MGs. Like a moth being dragged towards a flame.
    Tired of your Vette?

Liked
    2283 times

First full photos of the car:

10_rx-vision.jpg12_rx-vision.jpg13_rx-vision.jpg15_rx-vision.jpg

More here:
    Mazda USA Media - Vehicles

Liked
    2283 times

More here. Looks like there is plenty of room under the hood and aft of the front axle for a piston engine. Egads, the surfacing is so ****ing good.

01_rx-vision.jpg16_rx-vision.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast