Like Tree24Likes

Thread: The all-new 2016 bmw m2

Liked
    2217 times

Default The all-new 2016 bmw m2

3,500 pounds, 365 bhp.

Specs and full news release here:
    Newspress

Woodcliff Lake, N.J.: EMBARGO: October 13, 2015 6:01 pm EDT / 3:01 pm PDT … Today, BMW M GmbH unveiled the newest member of its product family. The coveted M badge has been placed on the popular BMW 2 Series in the form of the all-new 2016 BMW M2. The 6-cylinder under the hood is in keeping with the finest M tradition, ensuring unbeatable driving dynamics on the trace track with exceptional power delivery and the signature, outstanding driving behavior thanks to rear-wheel drive agility and lightweight aluminum M Sport suspension. The innovative M TwinPower Turbo technology ensures outstanding torque available across a wide rev band with rapid responses and excellent efficiency, raising the pulse with its distinctive engine soundtrack.

The BMW M2 will be available at authorized BMW centers with a limited range of options starting in spring of 2016. Price will be disclosed closer to market launch.

Just like its predecessor high revs and M TwinPower.

With an output of 365 bhp at 6,500 rpm and maximum revs of 7,000 rpm this all-new BMW M2 is more powerful than its predecessor: the BMW 1 M Coupe. The 3.0-liter 6-cylinder inline engine in the new BMW M2 sends out a clear message to the high-performance sports car segment. The engine’s peak torque also leads the way in this segment; a full 343 lb-ft is on tap between 1,400 and 5,560 rpm, with the overboost function raising this figure by 26 lb-ft to 369 lb-ft between 1,450 and 4,750 rpm. A glance to the past will put things into perspective, this figure is more than 70 lb-ft of additional torque than the past generation M3, ensuring plenty of torque is available in all driving situations.

With the optional M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) in place and Launch Control activated, the new BMW M2 completes the sprint from a standstill to 60 mph in a scant 4.2 seconds (4.4 s with the six-speed manual gearbox). The top speed of the all-new BMW M2 is electronically limited to 155 mph.

The all-new BMW M2’s newly developed 3.0 liter 6-cylinder engine represents a symbiosis of exceptional output and outstanding efficiency. The lightweight, thermodynamically optimized, all-aluminum unit is extremely rigid due to its closed-deck design – which means that the cylinder water jacket is closed at the top. This enables higher cylinder pressures for improved power output and torque.

p90199663_highres.jpgp90199668_highres.jpgp90199669_highres.jpgp90199670_highres.jpgp90199671_highres.jpg

Liked
    299 times

i like it. Maybe under $45k.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    364 times

It's definitely going to reach 50's. I love how it looks though just wish it were 2-300 lbs lighter.
    BOWERSdaAZIAN likes this.
    Do you understand?

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Is it just me, or does BMW have no concept of diversity? All of their cars are moderately heavy, moderately powerful sedans and sedan-shaped coupes. The Z and that electric abomination are the only outliars in the lineup.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1838 times

Missing Bangle yet?
    I do.
    There's not a single BMW in the current line up that I even find attractive, regardless of performance or cost.

Liked
    20 times

^Yes, BMW is now what Merc was 10 years ago. They are just bloated powerhouses with no concept of finesse or design saved only by the good graces of technology. Great cars in their own right I'm sure, but like Moti said, nothing appeals to me in the slightest (if I had to pick, I think I'd be swayed towards the X1 the most for its relatively inexpensive price, decent 4-banger and e90 underpinnings).
    Last edited by BOWERSdaAZIAN; 10-13-2015 at 06:50 PM.
    Blackbird likes this.

Liked
    1407 times

I totally disagree. I come from Ferraris that always let you down. Porsches that are overpriced VW's. The best purchases for me have been GM cars corvette racecar especially. Six flawless BMW's have crept into my family. They have a driving feel like no other streetable car. They make all the right compromises for that streetability yet track worthiness on occasion. With typical additions they become racecars that can run at the front of any class. There are more BMW's in my future. BMW made a M2 series racecar in europe selling for 60k euros iirc. I would like to buy one of those BMW dedicated racecars built like the Porsche GT3 cupcars factory rollcage etc. etc. At about $70K USD would buy the M2 racer before I bought the ND miata factory racer. The problem of course is non-existent race fields with the BMW.

http://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/cars/bmw-m235ir.html

11111.jpg
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    610 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Is it just me, or does BMW have no concept of diversity? All of their cars are moderately heavy, moderately powerful sedans and sedan-shaped coupes. The Z and that electric abomination are the only outliars in the lineup.
    I dont like heavy either, but not completely by my choice, I drive 6000 lbs tank('12 X5D) as a daily driver. But it handles, it accelerates faster than 95% of the cars on the road and it is really safe. I mean insanely safe. "Tank" doesnt only apply to the weight. Every single part in this new generations is lighter than it's predecessor(made in China too ) except the frame. My wife's Z4 hardtop convertible is pretty porky too, but handles excellent and accelerates decent. But the body like monolit, you cant hear evena squeak or feel a miniscule flex, and I am sure she will not be a pancake if she rolls over and has a great chance to survive in any kind of impact. It is good when there is a choice for everybody.
    I dont like the newest models very much too. But there are some amazing technologies that would grab the attention of every car enthusiast. I am not sure that any manufacturer still has something similar to the early 335/535 engine, but for this new engine it may take a very long time to meet it's match.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1838 times

You missed my point, Carl.
    The current lineup is so boring in terms of design, that I don't even need to look at a spec sheet.
    If it was for racing, I'd look at the spec sheet first.

Liked
    222 times

The M2 needs a proper M engine! Something that begins with "S", such as the S55.
    BOWERSdaAZIAN likes this.

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    I dont like heavy either, but not completely by my choice, I drive 6000 lbs tank('12 X5D) as a daily driver. But it handles, it accelerates faster than 95% of the cars on the road and it is really safe. I mean insanely safe. "Tank" doesnt only apply to the weight. Every single part in this new generations is lighter than it's predecessor(made in China too ) except the frame. My wife's Z4 hardtop convertible is pretty porky too, but handles excellent and accelerates decent. But the body like monolit, you cant hear evena squeak or feel a miniscule flex, and I am sure she will not be a pancake if she rolls over and has a great chance to survive in any kind of impact. It is good when there is a choice for everybody.
    I dont like the newest models very much too. But there are some amazing technologies that would grab the attention of every car enthusiast. I am not sure that any manufacturer still has something similar to the early 335/535 engine, but for this new engine it may take a very long time to meet it's match.
    I totally get it, BMW makes a solid product. I know this because my brother has a z3 and it's solid and bulletproof, and the most serviceable car I've worked on. My dad has a 3 series which would have been solid but for electrical issues and nazi-like computer control of everything.

But my complaint isn't any of those things. It's sameness. Every BMW car is just like each other. Where is the super car? Where is the affordable light weight 4 banger? They are all sedans or coupes in sedan-like bodies. There is no clear division with cars. I couldn't even look at one and tell you if it was an expensive model or a lower model. Samey, boring, uninspired. BMW needs to try new things.
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1407 times

But my complaint isn't any of those things. It's sameness. Every BMW car is just like each other. Where is the super car? Where is the affordable light weight 4 banger? They are all sedans or coupes in sedan-like bodies.
    Yes but isn't that the point? BMW does not copy Ferrari. BMW is not Porsche "light." Take a 3 series BMW the competition is a class benz , audi A4, caddy ATS. They are all boxes competing with boxes. What sets the BMW apart is how the box drives, what the box can do, and how the factory totally support the owner of the box for everything for 4 years. BMW offers value others don't IMO. What is really awesome that you expect BMW to make a supercar. Somehow BMW is giving you that desire just from the awesome way they build boring boxes. How are they doing that?
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Yes but isn't that the point? BMW does not copy Ferrari. BMW is not Porsche "light." Take a 3 series BMW the competition is a class benz , audi A4, caddy ATS. They are all boxes competing with boxes. What sets the BMW apart is how the box drives, what the box can do, and how the factory totally support the owner of the box for everything for 4 years. BMW offers value others don't IMO. What is really awesome that you expect BMW to make a supercar. Somehow BMW is giving you that desire just from the awesome way they build boring boxes. How are they doing that?
    Ha, not quite. I'd like BMW to make a super car because they made the motor in the Mclaren F1.

None of their boxes, and none of the technology in their boxes interest me in the slightest. That's not BMW's fault. I just don't like boxes, and I don't expect I'll ever need one. But, even if I did like boxes, BMW makes the same box over and over again. I can look at the Lexus line-up, without knowing anything about Lexus cars, and I can tell you where each car stands in the hierarchy. With BMW, hell if I can tell. The design language is vague and unexciting. Virtually every competitor except Audi makes a better looking vehicle right now.

And, speaking of competitors, everyone else has made a super car in the last decade. Heck, even Lexus made one just because it could, and it was bad ass.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    364 times

The new M3 is one dank slut. I'd get all up in that. Gorgeous. Fat - but gorgeous. No one has to know about what we do on the roads though.....just don't let your friends know you were with a fatty.
    ucfbrett likes this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    610 times

Ha, not quite. I'd like BMW to make a super car because they made the motor in the Mclaren F1.

None of their boxes, and none of the technology in their boxes interest me in the slightest. That's not BMW's fault. I just don't like boxes, and I don't expect I'll ever need one. But, even if I did like boxes, BMW makes the same box over and over again. I can look at the Lexus line-up, without knowing anything about Lexus cars, and I can tell you where each car stands in the hierarchy. With BMW, hell if I can tell. The design language is vague and unexciting. Virtually every competitor except Audi makes a better looking vehicle right now.

And, speaking of competitors, everyone else has made a super car in the last decade. Heck, even Lexus made one just because it could, and it was bad ass.
    Funny, I would say that Audi's design is one of the best in the moment. This means a lot to hear from me. I agree that the newest design line is kinda boring, but I couldnt agree that current M3/M4 and this new M2 are boring boxes without character. Lexus cars are just ridiculous at the moment and I cant even imagine how someone will buy one. Different tastes I guess.
    And yes, BMW has their supercar right now, it is the I8. It wont be a problem for them to make a 6-7-800 hp car, but the I8 comes from a very distant future. closest competitors are 5-7 time the price.

Liked
    742 times

Calling the i8 a supercar is awfully generous of you.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    42 times

I can't get past the weight.

US M4 6MT curb weight: 3530 lb
    US M2 6MT curb weight: 3505 lb

That's just... wrong.

Why should anyone buy an M2? Price? M4 has been around for a while now, deals can be had, and the M2 will be marked up at introduction. Is BMW aiming this car to those who can afford a $50K car payment but not a $60K one? That's a financially irresponsible proposition anyway.

I'd rather BMW had developed a more focused M2 with lots of CF goodies and a boosted I4 (sacrilege!) for a lower weight and balance. And charge $70K if you have to, but please make something special. This $50K 'budget' M car is pointless.
    SteveLevin likes this.

Liked
    299 times

call the whaaaaaambulance. All i hear is waah wahh wahh. lol.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    2217 times

I think this design is going to grow on me. I'd rather it have 1 series weight, but the 1 series doesn't look as good as this one.

Liked
    141 times

We almost bought a M235i but ended up with an Audi. I think both are terrible unreliable cars but the wife wants what she wants. Ironically she thought the M235i was too small, even though it weighs more than her last new BMW, the E46 M3.
    bawareca likes this.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast