• 8 Post By Force McCocken
  • 3 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By CoolTech

Thread: 2019 ZR1 Debuts at Dubai Auto Show

Liked
    2283 times

Default 2019 ZR1 Debuts at Dubai Auto Show

The fastest, most powerful production Corvette ever retakes its supercar crown
    2017-11-12
    DUBAI — The King is returning, stronger than ever.

Chevrolet today introduced the 2019 Corvette ZR1, a supercar that pushes Corvette’s performance legacy with the highest power, greatest track performance and most advanced technology in its production history.

“I’ve never driven a Corvette like this before, and nobody else has either, because there’s never been one like this before,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Its unprecedented performance puts all other global supercars on notice that the ZR1 is back.”

The Corvette ZR1’s exclusive LT5 supercharged engine, which is rated at an SAE-certified 755 horsepower (563 kW) and 715 lb-ft of torque (969 Nm), is establishing a new benchmark in performance. Further, the ZR1 elevates Corvette’s track capability with two wind tunnel-honed aerodynamics packages, including an available High Wing that provides an estimated 950 pounds of downforce.

Most powerful ever

The ZR1’s LT5 6.2L V-8 engine advances Corvette’s supercharging legacy, which began with the 2009 sixth-generation ZR1 and continued with the 2015 seventh-generation Z06. The LT5 delivers the highest output ever for a Chevrolet production vehicle, thanks in part to a new, more-efficient intercooled supercharger system that offers 52 percent more displacement than the Z06’s LT4 supercharger. GM’s first dual-fuel-injection system, which employs primary direct injection and supplemental port injection, helps the LT5 achieve its record output.

Seven-speed manual and eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmissions are available with the LT5. It’s the first time an automatic transmission has been offered in a ZR1.

Fastest ever

The 2019 Corvette ZR1’s aggressive appearance is driven by function, contributing to its distinction as the fastest production Corvette to date.

An all-new front fascia is designed to channel air for propulsion-system and drivetrain cooling, with four new radiators bringing the heat-exchanger total to 13. A special carbon-fiber “halo” hood is open in the middle to clear the LT5 engine’s supercharger/intercooler assembly. Additional features, including aero packages with stanchion-mounted wings, help push the ZR1 harder onto the track for more confident handling and faster lap times. Top speed of the ZR1 is over 210 mph.

“As the highest-performing Corvette ever, the ZR1’s design supports its capability in every way,” said Kirk Bennion, Exterior Design manager. “The new wings, for example, help generate more downforce without adding drag, enhancing road holding and top speed.”

The ZR1 will offer two aero packages: a standard rear Low Wing, which delivers the highest top speed and helps generate up to 70 percent more downforce than the Z06’s base aero package, and an available two-way-adjustable High Wing that offers maximum downforce on the track for the quickest lap times — about 60 percent more downforce than the Z06 with the available Z07 Performance Package. All models also feature a Chevrolet-first, downforce-enhancing front underwing.

The adjustable High Wing is part of the new ZTK Performance Package, which also includes a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer-only tires, and specific chassis and Magnetic Ride Control tuning for greater cornering grip.

Both of the ZR1’s wings are tied into the chassis, like the Corvette Racing C7.R racecar, for strength and stability.

Sebring Orange Design Package

The Corvette ZR1 introduced today also debuted a dynamic, available Sebring Orange Design Package. Centered on its Sebring Orange Tintcoat exterior color, the package also includes orange brake calipers, orange rocker and splitter accent stripes, orange seat belts, orange interior stitching and unique, bronze aluminum interior trim.

The new design package complements the Corvette ZR1’s tradition of offering maximum performance with refinement and design distinction. The driver-focused, well-appointed cockpit includes standard leather-trimmed seats, with sueded microfiber inserts offered. Heated and vented Napa leather-trimmed seating is also available, as well as a carbon fiber-rimmed steering wheel, competition sport seats, Performance Data Recorder, Bose premium audio system and more.

The 2019 Corvette ZR1 goes on sale next spring, poised to take on the world’s best.

It’s good to be the King.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-corvette-zr1-worldpremier-03.png   2019-corvette-zr1-worldpremier-02.png  

Liked
    760 times

Maybe they heard Emilio sold his Corvette for a Ford and wanted to bring him back into the fold with that orange?
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    670 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Maybe they heard Emilio sold his Corvette for a Ford and wanted to bring him back into the fold with that orange?
    Maybe. 13 coolers, what could possibly go wrong
    SteveLevin, JJ1 and Force McCocken like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2471 times

Weighs like 3800#
    I'd take Viper ACR over this hog

Still waiting for the 3000#, 550whp C7R street car

yawn
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    670 times

But seriously, without being hater, what one could possibly do with 750 hp RWD, except shenanigans? With the last M5 BMW figured out that cannot put down reliably ~600 hp thru the rear wheels only, hence moving to AWD for 650+ hp.
    Nevertheless, I am sure the ZR1 will be fascinating.

Liked
    2283 times

OK, this car is fascinating and it wins the numbers war. 715 horsepower is staggering.

However, it's become pretty well established that a supercharged engine isn't optimal for continual lapping. I'd like to see what Emilio proposes. Track rats will appreciate it's "paltry" 550 horsepower even if the cars and coffee crowd doesn't.

Liked
    2339 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    However, it's become pretty well established that a supercharged engine isn't optimal for continual lapping. .
    Camaro ZL1 1LE (supercharged) vs. SS 1LE (na) comes to mind.
    everyone here seem to like ZL1 1LE though (over SS 1LE).
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Weighs like 3800#
    I'd take Viper ACR over this hog

Still waiting for the 3000#, 550whp C7R street car

yawn
    Agreed! Only off the shelf "not poseur" car...porsche GT3 and seemingly the GT350R

Liked
    2339 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    and seemingly the GT350R
    GT350R is 3,700# !!
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    GT350R is 3,700# !!
    And according to GM, the ZR1 has a curb weight of 3560.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r1-weight.html

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by TraderGuy View Post
    And according to GM, the ZR1 has a curb weight of 3560.
    Weight is only part of the issue. IMO "poseur" is racy cars sold as racy cars that fail on track.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    60 times

Weight is only part of the issue. IMO "poseur" is racy cars sold as racy cars that fail on track.
    Agreed (and I think maybe we should revert back to the thread on this exact topic). In my case, getting more serious into racing has, on one hand, cost a lot of money but ironically it has significantly curbed my appetite to continuously swap my street cars. I'm just no longer interested in all of the BS this and that - when I know most of these cars would just be a fail on the track in real-world conditions.
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread