+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Richard EVO
  • 2 Post By emilio700
  • 1 Post By Caoboy

Thread: 2016 mazda mx-5 miata club edition to debut at new york international auto show

Liked
    2356 times

Default 2016 mazda mx-5 miata club edition to debut at new york international auto show

No photos, but it's good to know we don't have to wait a model year or two for the Club Edition.

IRVINE, Calif., March 25, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Ready to join the Club? The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club edition, that is.

Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) will be introducing the North American-spec MX-5 Club next week at the New York International Auto Show. The MX-5 Club represents the most aggressive road-going iteration of Mazda's fourth-generation flagship roadster.

The 2016 MX-5 sheds approximately 150 lbs. from its predecessor through use of lightweight, efficient SKYACTIV®1 TECHNOLOGY, now weighing 2,332 lbs. when equipped with the standard SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual transmission (2,381 lbs. with the six-speed automatic). Powering all North American models will be a 2.0-liter SKYACTIV engine, rated at 155 horsepower and 148 lb-ft of torque.

Shorter than the first-generation MX-5 that initially graced U.S. shores in 1989, yet wider than the outgoing model and with its engine lower and farther back in its chassis, the 2016 MX-5 is designed to deliver maximum driving enjoyment. The MX-5 Club aims to amplify that experience, harking back to the early lightweight sports cars that inspired it, but serving as a beacon for the future as a thoroughly modern, sophisticated package.

Liked
    1485 times

^^^ Kinda short on details of the differences between the 2016 MX-5 and the MX-5 Club, wouldn't you say, Brenda?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    764 times

I agree with Richard, Maxda is producing NDs, just give us all the info already. I'm assuming the ND Club will have similar features as the NC version so just spill it Mazda.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2356 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Kinda short on details of the differences between the 2016 MX-5 and the MX-5 Club, wouldn't you say, Brenda?
    I posted everything that was in the news release. I assume Mazda is withholding the details till the New York show. I'll post more when I get it.

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I posted everything that was in the news release. I assume Mazda is withholding the details till the New York show. I'll post more when I get it.
    Bigger sway bars and spoilers so there's something to photograph.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2588 times

It will be interesting to see if Matsuda sticks with tradition on it's Club / Sport/ R Package offerings as being a genuine performance improvement over the base models.

Stuff that Mazda has done in the past for the performance enthusiast on special models:

Bigger front sway bar
    Bigger rear sway bar
    Revalved Bilstein monotube shocks
    Lower, stiffer springs
    Radio delete
    P/S delete
    A/C delete
    Roll up windows
    Torsen on otherwise base trim model
    Front lip spoiler
    Rear lip spoiler
    Soft top delete

I don't expect the car to get any lighter or more powerful since Matsuda has never done that but I think this car will get the Brembos seem on an ND recently. I'd like to see some option deletes, revalved monotube shocks and maybe the slightly bigger sway bars.

Pipe dream want list for ND Club edition:
    Adjustable spring perches on Bilsteins like the original R package
    Lower FD ratio
    Agressively pocketed seats
    Data recorder
    Soft top delete
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    258 times

i doubt we see roll up windows or p/s delete... I expect suspension bits and spoilers.

BID

Liked
    764 times

I was hoping that with the reduced weight and with Alfa going with a manual rack in the 4C, maybe Mazda might offer a manual steering rack again. I wonder if it's possible to de-power and electric assist rack and have it still work well.

On another note, there are rumors we'll have production run NDs on a our shores by sometime in May. I hope they don't have to come through the backed up shipping port.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    6 times

A foam filled front end would be nice too.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    2356 times

More details:

195896.jpeg

NEW YORK, April 1, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today introduced the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club at the New York International Auto Show, marking the world debut of the North American-focused Club model.

Lighter, smaller, quicker and more nimble than its predecessor, MX-5 has adopted Mazda's full suite of SKYACTIV Technology and KODO—Soul of Motion design. In the process, MX-5 has shed approximately 150 pounds from its predecessor, with a curb weight of 2,332 lbs. when equipped with SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual transmission (2,381 lbs. with the six-speed automatic transmission).

The MX-5 Club heightens performance with trim-level exclusive:

17-inch gunmetal alloy wheels wrapped in 205/45R17 tires
    Limited-slip differential when equipped with SKYACTIV-MT
    Bilstein shocks when equipped with SKYACTIV-MT
    Shock tower brace when equipped with SKYACTIV-MT
    Front air dam and rear lip spoilers
    Standard equipment on MX-5 Club models includes MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment system with a seven-inch color touchscreen display and multi-function commander control, HD and SiriusXM Satellite Radio, two USB ports, piano black side mirrors and seatback bars and a nine-speaker Bose audio system with headrest speakers.

Also available for the MX-5 Club is a package that equips the roadster with forged lightweight BBS 17-inch wheels, Brembo front brakes and functional aerodynamic side sill extensions and rear bumper skirt that were previewed at the Chicago Auto Show and on the MX-5 Global Cup race car.

"MX-5 is the heart and soul of Mazda, serving as a beacon for the rest of our lineup with its fun-to-drive dynamics, design and technologies," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO, MNAO. "Jinba Ittai—oneness between driver and machine—defines the MX-5. It's a philosophy that has led every decision we've made toward bringing the MX-5 back to the basics that made drivers fall in love with it 26 years ago when the first generation debuted."

All MX-5s bound for North America will come with compact LED headlights, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming and a SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter engine. The MX-5 will be equipped with either a standard six-speed SKYACTIV-MT manual or available six-speed automatic. Further packaging details will be made available closer to the MX-5's summer on-sale date.

Liked
    693 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I wonder if it's possible to de-power and electric assist rack
    You could. Or you can just use the steering lock. Same effect
    I went to the WSIR once with my wife's Z4 that has electric steering. I dont have any substantial complaints except that it gets really heavy at speed and it was more than average workout after 2-3 sessions. It was cold and wet at times and I had no desire to test any limits of the car, but it felt Ok to me. The electric rack weights 50-75 lbs, but it is at least close to the ground.
    Last edited by bawareca; 03-31-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Liked
    1485 times

Do you think they used the made-up word "SKYACTIV" enough times in that press release? Too bad the car won't have the additional 100 hp and tq it needs. Mazda makes well engineered, good handling little cars that are underpowered . . .

SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIVSKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV SKYACTIV
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 03-31-2015 at 09:49 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

+ Reply to Thread